OAI-PMH?

Ole Palnatoke Andersen-2
At #hack4dk today in Copenhagen (http://hack4dk.tumblr.com/program), I
heard about OAI-PMH (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Archives_Initiative_Protocol_for_Metadata_Harvesting),
"a protocol ... used to harvest (or collect) the metadata descriptions of
the records in an archive so that services can be built using metadata from
many archives". I know that wikis (and Wikipedia) are not archives, but we
do have an awful lot of stuff that could/should be connected to stuff in
archives and elsewhere.

Are our services OAI-PMH compatible?

Regards,
Ole

--
http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588

Re: OAI-PMH?

S Page-3
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Archives_Initiative_Protocol_for_Metadata_Harvesting),
> Are our services OAI-PMH compatible?

As that page says, "Wikimedia uses an OAI-PMH repository to provide
feeds of Wikipedia and related site updates for search engines and
other bulk analysis/republishing endeavors."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special%3AVersion has
  OAIRepository Provides OAI-PMH repository interface

The referenced page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_update_feed_service> says
WMF limits its update feed due to load considerations.

DBPedia's diagram <http://wiki.dbpedia.org/DBpediaLive#h156-3> shows
it extracting information from WMF wikis using OAI-PMH to update its
structured knowledge set.

--
=S Page  software engineer on E3

Re: OAI-PMH?

Maarten Dammers
Hi Ole,

Op 5-10-2012 23:37, Ole Palnatoke Andersen schreef:

> At #hack4dk today in Copenhagen (http://hack4dk.tumblr.com/program), I
> heard about OAI-PMH (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Archives_Initiative_Protocol_for_Metadata_Harvesting),
> "a protocol ... used to harvest (or collect) the metadata descriptions of
> the records in an archive so that services can be built using metadata from
> many archives". I know that wikis (and Wikipedia) are not archives, but we
> do have an awful lot of stuff that could/should be connected to stuff in
> archives and elsewhere.
>
> Are our services OAI-PMH compatible?
Basic OAI-PMH sucks (because in my experience dublin core is quite
useless). Extended versions of OAI-PMH that are tuned to the source (in
this case Wikipedia) can be very useful.

Maarten