ORES/Revscoring makes a splash in the classroom

ORES/Revscoring makes a splash in the classroom

Aaron Halfaker-3
Hey folks,

I just wanted to share a quick writeup that Andrew Lih did about using ORES' article quality prediction model in the classroom to help students see the impact of their work in Wikipedia.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Fuzheado/ORES_experiment

Some quotes from the writeup:

“Yay!"

“Alright!"

"I feel like we’re part of a secret computer club!"

[...] having students excited and experiencing that instant dopamine hit when editing articles is a breath of fresh air when pleasurable interactions seem to be less frequent today than in Wikipedia’s early days.

One important note is that I had no idea ORES would be used in this way.  In a lot of ways, that's the point of building infrastructure like this -- to empower others to enact their own values.

-Aaron

Re: ORES/Revscoring makes a splash in the classroom

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
This IS good news.. it pays to find ways to motivate ... want some more suggestions ?
Thanks,
     GerardM