ORES extension soon be deployed, help us test it

ORES extension soon be deployed, help us test it

Amir Sarabadani-2
Hey all,
TLDR: ORES extension [1] which is an extension that integrates ORES service
[2] with Wikipedia to make fighting vandalism easier and more efficient is
in the progress of deployment. You can test it in
https://mw-revscoring.wmflabs.org (Enable it in your preferences first)

You probably know ORES. It's an API service that gives probably of an edit
being vandalism, it also does other AI-related stuff like guessing the
quality of articles in Wikipedia. We have a nice blog post in Wikimedia
Blog [3] and media paid some attention to it [4]. Thanks to Aaron Halfaker
and others [5] for their work in building this service. There are several
tools using ORES to highlight possibly vandalism edits. Huggle, gadgets
like ScoredRevisions, etc. But an extension does this job much more
efficiently.

The extension which is being developed by Adam Wight, Kunal Mehta and me
highlights unpatrolled edits in recentchanges, watchlists, related changes
and in future, user contributions if ORES score of those edits pass a
certain threshold. GUI design is made by May Galloway. ORES API (
ores.wmflabs.org) only gives you a score between 0 and 1. Zero means it's
not vandalism at all and one means it's vandalism for sure. You can test
its simple GUI in https://ores.wmflabs.org/ui/. It's possible to change the
threshold in your preferences in the recent changes tab (you have options
instead of numbers because we thought numbers are not very intuitive).
Also, we enabled it in a test wiki so you test it:
https://mw-revscoring.wmflabs.org. You need to make an account (use a dummy
password) and then enable it in beta features tab. Note that building AI
tool to detect vandalism in a test wiki sounds a little bit silly ;) so we
set up a dummy model that probability of an edit being vandalism is
backward of the last two digits (e.g. diff id:12345 = score:54%). In a more
technical aspect, we store these scores in ores_classification table so we
can do a lot more analysis with them once the extension is deployed. Fun
use cases such as the average score of a certain page or contributions of a
user or members of a category, etc.

We passed security review and we have consensus to enable it in Persian
Wikipedia. We are only blocked on ORES moving from Labs to production
(T106867 [6]). The next wiki is Wikidata, we are good to go once the
community finishes labeling edits so we can build the "damaging" model. We
can enable it Portuguese and Turkish Wikipedia after March because s2 and
s3 have database storage issues right now. For other Wikis, you need to
check if ORES supports the Wiki and if community finished labeling edits
for ORES (check out the table at [2])
If you want to report bugs or add feature requests you can find it in here
[7].

[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ORES
[2]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Objective_Revision_Evaluation_Service
[3]:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/11/30/artificial-intelligence-x-ray-specs/
[4]:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Revision_scoring_as_a_service/Media
[5]:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Revision_scoring_as_a_service#Team
[6]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T106867
[7]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-extensions-ores/

Best

Re: ORES extension soon be deployed, help us test it

Legoktm
Hi,

On 02/19/2016 02:35 PM, Amir Ladsgroup wrote:
> Hey all,
> TLDR: ORES extension [1] which is an extension that integrates ORES service
> [2] with Wikipedia to make fighting vandalism easier and more efficient is
> in the progress of deployment. You can test it in
> https://mw-revscoring.wmflabs.org (Enable it in your preferences first)

I just played with it, and the changes and work you and Adam have put
into it are awesome! I can't wait to use this on actual wikis :)

-- Legoktm

Re: ORES extension soon be deployed, help us test it

Antoine Musso-3
Le 19/02/2016 23:35, Amir Ladsgroup a écrit :
> Hey all,
> TLDR: ORES extension [1] which is an extension that integrates ORES service
> [2] with Wikipedia to make fighting vandalism easier and more efficient is
> in the progress of deployment. You can test it in
> https://mw-revscoring.wmflabs.org (Enable it in your preferences first)
<snip>

Hello,

We usually require extensions to be setup on the beta cluster before it
is send to production.  I understand there is already a labs setup but
it seems the integration work is going to be done straight in production....

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: ORES extension soon be deployed, help us test it

Aaron Halfaker-3
Hey Antoine,

Can you point us to any docs on setting up extensions in the Beta cluster?

-Aaron

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 19/02/2016 23:35, Amir Ladsgroup a écrit :
> > Hey all,
> > TLDR: ORES extension [1] which is an extension that integrates ORES
> service
> > [2] with Wikipedia to make fighting vandalism easier and more efficient
> is
> > in the progress of deployment. You can test it in
> > https://mw-revscoring.wmflabs.org (Enable it in your preferences first)
> <snip>
>
> Hello,
>
> We usually require extensions to be setup on the beta cluster before it
> is send to production.  I understand there is already a labs setup but
> it seems the integration work is going to be done straight in
> production....
>

> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: ORES extension soon be deployed, help us test it

Amir Sarabadani-2
We should make a patch like this https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/269478/
but for testwiki AFAIK.

Best

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 9:32 PM Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey Antoine,
>
> Can you point us to any docs on setting up extensions in the Beta cluster?
>
> -Aaron
>
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Le 19/02/2016 23:35, Amir Ladsgroup a écrit :
> > > Hey all,
> > > TLDR: ORES extension [1] which is an extension that integrates ORES
> > service
> > > [2] with Wikipedia to make fighting vandalism easier and more efficient
> > is
> > > in the progress of deployment. You can test it in
> > > https://mw-revscoring.wmflabs.org (Enable it in your preferences
> first)
> > <snip>
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > We usually require extensions to be setup on the beta cluster before it
> > is send to production.  I understand there is already a labs setup but
> > it seems the integration work is going to be done straight in
> > production....
> >

> > --
> > Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: ORES extension soon be deployed, help us test it

Gergo Tisza
On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We should make a patch like this
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/269478/
> but for testwiki AFAIK.

testwiki is in the production cluster. For the beta cluster, make a similar
patch but change the *-labs files instead. You can find the list of beta
cluster wikis here:
https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/highlight.php?file=all-labs.dblist

Re: ORES extension soon be deployed, help us test it

Amir Sarabadani-2
It's done, the patch is merged now and we should have it the beta cluster.
The only thing here is caching. It seems people can't enable it because
betafeatures special page is cached.

Best

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 5:05 AM Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > We should make a patch like this
> > https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/269478/
> > but for testwiki AFAIK.
> >

> testwiki is in the production cluster. For the beta cluster, make a similar
> patch but change the *-labs files instead. You can find the list of beta
> cluster wikis here:
> https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/highlight.php?file=all-labs.dblist

Re: ORES extension soon be deployed, help us test it

Amir Sarabadani-2
Hey all,
ORES extension is now enabled in beta cluster, in Wikipedia projects only,
you can enable it in your beta features tab [1] and then check it out in
RecentChanges or watchlist, etc. [2]

[1]: For English:
http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures
[2]: An example: