Office & Development Manager

Richard Symonds-3

All,

As you know, Wikimedia UK has applied to the Charity Commission to be recognised as a UK charity. Our income is over £600,000 and we have over 200 members. There are approximately 15,000,000 people in the UK who regularly use Wikimedia projects and 10,000 people who regularly contribute to them. With ambitious plans for growth and an active Board of Trustees, we are now entering an exciting new phase.

As such, we are now  looking for someone to run the new London office in Old Street, and support the CEO in the development of our office and financial systems as we build our team. We are, therefore, hiring for our second permanent role: an Office and Development Manager. Further details are available on the Wikimedia UK wiki at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Office_and_Development_Manager. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them on this list or on the discussion page. Jon, the CEO, is very keen to answer questions as well, and will do so as soon as he is available, but regretfully he has limited access to the internet at present. If your question is urgent, and can’t be answered by myself or the board, please let me know and I’ll try and get the question to him however I can.

Kind regards,

Richard Symonds

Office Administrator

Wikimedia UK

Re: Office & Development Manager

David Gerard-2
On 24 October 2011 16:52, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> and 10,000 people who regularly contribute to them.

Tangential question: how did we calculate this 10,000? (And is this an
official number to use now?)

- d.

Re: Office & Development Manager

Thomas Dalton
On 24 October 2011 17:21, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 24 October 2011 16:52, Richard Symonds
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> and 10,000 people who regularly contribute to them.
>

> Tangential question: how did we calculate this 10,000? (And is this an
> official number to use now?)

It's a number we've been using for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if
nobody can remember where it came from!

Re: Office & Development Manager

Richard Symonds-3
Good question, to which I do not presently have the answer. It was used in
the CEO advertisement too, but I don't have records that stretch back far
enough to cover the process of choosing that number. Perhaps a member of the
board can help... I think it might be an extrapolation from the number of
views from the UK. I'll look into getting the number updated once there's a
quiet moment.

wrote:

> and 10,000 people who regularly contribute to them.

Tangential question: how did we calculate this 10,000? (And is this an
official number to use now?)

- d.

Re: Office & Development Manager

David Gerard-2
On 24 October 2011 18:08, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good question, to which I do not presently have the answer. It was used in
> the CEO advertisement too, but I don't have records that stretch back far
> enough to cover the process of choosing that number. Perhaps a member of the
> board can help... I think it might be an extrapolation from the number of
> views from the UK. I'll look into getting the number updated once there's a
> quiet moment.

Yeah. The last per-country stats I recall were Greg Maxwell's from
2007. (Though there may have been some since then.)

"How many people write Wikipedia?" is a question that can only be
answered with a qualification as to activity level and so forth ...

- d.

On 24 October 2011 19:42, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah. The last per-country stats I recall were Greg Maxwell's from
> 2007. (Though there may have been some since then.)

Though those told us an interesting thing: ~50% of edits on en:wp are
from the US, ~25% are from the UK. The populations are 300m and 60m
respectively. This means that per head of population, British editors
are 2 1/2 times as active as American ones - English WIkipedia thus
has disproportionate British participation. (I got to use this on
someone from the BBC a coupla years ago, gathering background, who'd
assumed en:wp was basically an American effort. He was quite
impressed.)

- d.

Re: Office & Development Manager

Gordon Joly
On 24/10/2011 19:45, David Gerard wrote:

> Though those told us an interesting thing: ~50% of edits on en:wp are
> from the US, ~25% are from the UK. The populations are 300m and 60m
> respectively. This means that per head of population, British editors
> are 2 1/2 times as active as American ones - English WIkipedia thus
> has disproportionate British participation. (I got to use this on
> someone from the BBC a coupla years ago, gathering background, who'd
> assumed en:wp was basically an American effort. He was quite
> impressed.)
>

> - d.
>
> _____________________________
Remind me how the "US" vs. "UK" editor class is defined..... by IP address?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

On 24 October 2011 21:40, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 24/10/2011 19:45, David Gerard wrote:

>> Though those told us an interesting thing: ~50% of edits on en:wp are
>> from the US, ~25% are from the UK. The populations are 300m and 60m
>> respectively. This means that per head of population, British editors
>> are 2 1/2 times as active as American ones - English WIkipedia thus
>> has disproportionate British participation. (I got to use this on
>> someone from the BBC a coupla years ago, gathering background, who'd
>> assumed en:wp was basically an American effort. He was quite
>> impressed.)

> Remind me how the "US" vs. "UK" editor class is defined..... by IP address?

Yep. I can't find a copy of the report right now, but I recall he
processed a list of actual IP numbers for edits.

- d.