Official Election Notice

Philippe Beaudette
The 2008 Board election committee announces the 2008 election process. Wikimedians will have the opportunity to elect one candidate from the Wikimedia community to serve as a representative on the Board of Trustees. The successful candidate will serve a one-year term, ending in July 2009.

Candidates may nominate themselves for election between May 8 and May 22, and the voting will occur between 1 June and 21 June. For more information on the voting and candidate requirements, see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008.

The voting system to be used in this election has not yet been confirmed, however voting will be by secret ballot, and confidentiality will be strictly maintained.

Votes will again be cast and counted on a server owned by an independent, neutral third party, Software in the Public Interest (SPI). SPI will hold cryptographic keys and be responsible for tallying the votes and providing final vote counts to the Election Committee. SPI provided excellent help during the 2007 elections.

Further information can be found at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008/en. Questions may be directed to the Election Committee at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Board_elections/2008/en. If you are interested in translating official election pages into your own language, please see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008/Translation.

For the election committee,
Philippe Beaudette
[[m:User:Philippe]]
.

Re: Official Election Notice

Majorly
2008/4/26 Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]>:

> The 2008 Board election committee announces the 2008 election process.
> Wikimedians will have the opportunity to elect one candidate from the
> Wikimedia community to serve as a representative on the Board of Trustees.
> The successful candidate will serve a one-year term, ending in July 2009.
>
> Candidates may nominate themselves for election between May 8 and May 22,
> and the voting will occur between 1 June and 21 June. For more information
> on the voting and candidate requirements, see
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008.
>
> The voting system to be used in this election has not yet been confirmed,
> however voting will be by secret ballot, and confidentiality will be
> strictly maintained.
>
> Votes will again be cast and counted on a server owned by an independent,
> neutral third party, Software in the Public Interest (SPI). SPI will hold
> cryptographic keys and be responsible for tallying the votes and providing
> final vote counts to the Election Committee. SPI provided excellent help
> during the 2007 elections.
>
> Further information can be found at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008/en. Questions may be
> directed to the Election Committee at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Board_elections/2008/en. If you are
> interested in translating official election pages into your own language,
> please see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008/Translation
> .
>
> For the election committee,
> Philippe Beaudette
> [[m:User:Philippe]]
> .

Thanks for the information. I look forward to seeing who runs this time
round.

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

Re: Official Election Notice

Stephen Bain
On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  For more information on the voting and candidate requirements, see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008.

I see the edit requirements for candidates are not only still present,
but more onerous this year. Why were these not only kept, but
increased? With these requirements Mike Godwin, as an example, is
ineligible to be elected to the Board, as are quite a few members of
the advisory board. Surely it should be for the community to decide
what experience they consider relevant in choosing who they elect.

--
Stephen Bain

Re: Official Election Notice

Casey Brown-3
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Stephen Bain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Philippe Beaudette
>  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >
>  >  For more information on the voting and candidate requirements, see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008.
>
>  I see the edit requirements for candidates are not only still present,
>  but more onerous this year. Why were these not only kept, but
>  increased? With these requirements Mike Godwin, as an example, is
>  ineligible to be elected to the Board, as are quite a few members of
>  the advisory board. Surely it should be for the community to decide
>  what experience they consider relevant in choosing who they elect.

But that makes complete sense, doesn't it?  The seat for this
elections is a *community* one.  Even though the Advisory Board and
Mike do great work for the projects, they aren't really fit for the
*community* position -- are they?

I could definitely see a problem if the special exceptions weren't
listed for the voters
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008#Requirements>.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Official Election Notice

Geoffrey Plourde
I want to take an opportunity to say thanks for your hard work. Running an election of this magnitude wil not be easy.

Re: Official Election Notice

Philippe Beaudette
Geoffrey,

The committee this year is full of some of the most talented, deliberate,
and thoughtful people that I've ever met.  On behalf of them, thank you for
your kind words.

Philippe

> I want to take an opportunity to say thanks for your hard work. Running an
> election of this magnitude wil not be easy.

KIZU Naoko
Thank you for your announcement, Phillippe and all your hard work, all
the Election committee.
It's glad to see some of issues now better worded in your announcenemt
than the past years.

Hope the coming election goes smoothly and its result enpowored our
project to the full extent.
Cheers,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 2008 Board election committee announces the 2008 election process. Wikimedians will have the opportunity to elect one candidate from the Wikimedia community to serve as a representative on the Board of Trustees. The successful candidate will serve a one-year term, ending in July 2009.
>
>  Candidates may nominate themselves for election between May 8 and May 22, and the voting will occur between 1 June and 21 June. For more information on the voting and candidate requirements, see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008.
>
>  The voting system to be used in this election has not yet been confirmed, however voting will be by secret ballot, and confidentiality will be strictly maintained.
>
>  Votes will again be cast and counted on a server owned by an independent, neutral third party, Software in the Public Interest (SPI). SPI will hold cryptographic keys and be responsible for tallying the votes and providing final vote counts to the Election Committee. SPI provided excellent help during the 2007 elections.
>
>  Further information can be found at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008/en. Questions may be directed to the Election Committee at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Board_elections/2008/en. If you are interested in translating official election pages into your own language, please see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2008/Translation.
>
>  For the election committee,
>  Philippe Beaudette
>  [[m:User:Philippe]]
>  .