Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

1234 ... 11

Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

SPUI
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/27/1943254 is currently on
the front page, along with the text "It turns out that a Wikipedia
administrator named SlimVirgin is actually Linda Mack..." Looks like
outing to me.

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

vee-3
On 27/07/07, SPUI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/27/1943254 is currently on
> the front page, along with the text "It turns out that a Wikipedia
> administrator named SlimVirgin is actually Linda Mack..." Looks like
> outing to me.

LOL yes, SlimVirgin is a secret agent from MI5 dedicated to 'infiltrating'
Wikipedia. Haha that's funny

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Philip Sandifer-2
Wow. That's one of the worst pieces of shit ever linked to on
Slashdot. It completely lacks a link to the original article, which,
if you read, makes it clear that the source of all claims relating to
SlimVirgin is Daniel Brandt and Wikipedia Review. No surprise the
anonymous user decided to cover that little detail up as best they
could.

Best,
Phil Sandifer
[hidden email]

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a
boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

On Jul 27, 2007, at 5:26 PM, SPUI wrote:

> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/27/1943254 is
> currently on
> the front page, along with the text "It turns out that a Wikipedia
> administrator named SlimVirgin is actually Linda Mack..." Looks like
> outing to me.

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

geni
On 7/27/07, Vee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> LOL yes, SlimVirgin is a secret agent from MI5 dedicated to 'infiltrating'
> Wikipedia. Haha that's funny

Infiltrating Wikipedia would generaly be an MI6 task.

--
geni

On 27/07/07, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/27/07, Vee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > LOL yes, SlimVirgin is a secret agent from MI5 dedicated to
> 'infiltrating'
> > Wikipedia. Haha that's funny
>
> Infiltrating Wikipedia would generaly be an MI6 task.
>
> --
> geni

im just quoting the article. it's from OhMyNews, of course it's true.

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Anthony-73
On 7/27/07, SPUI <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/27/1943254 is currently on
> the front page, along with the text "It turns out that a Wikipedia
> administrator named SlimVirgin is actually Linda Mack..." Looks like
> outing to me.

It's only outing if it's true, and apparently it isn't.

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

brock.weller@gmail.com
One thing I never see covered by Brandt and co. is even if this is true,
does it matter? Seriously. We have people who have all sorts of jobs working
on the wiki, most of whom know how to leave bias's at the door. Slim's one
of my favorite admin, a little short at times, but incredibly dedicated and
wholly appropriate. Even where I disagree with her (WP:ATT for one) it stems
from a difference of opinion, not me thinking she's evil. Theres not any
real evidence for any of these claims, true, but even if they were, who the
hell cares? The WR crowd always assumes this is some major bombshell.

On 7/27/07, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/27/07, SPUI <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/27/1943254 is currently on
> > the front page, along with the text "It turns out that a Wikipedia
> > administrator named SlimVirgin is actually Linda Mack..." Looks like
> > outing to me.
> >
> It's only outing if it's true, and apparently it isn't.

-Brock

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Nick-136
It's perfect nonsense for Wikipedia Review to come up with, really, accusing
someone of being a secret agent is one of those heffalump traps. If you say
you're not a secret agent, it's obvious you are, if you say you are a secret
agent, you're bluffing. We've stumbled into the twilight zone of conspiracy
theorists now. I'd pour yourselves a large drink, put your feet up and
chuckle away at the sheer stupidity and naivety of anybody who believes
these.

On 27/07/07, Brock Weller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing I never see covered by Brandt and co. is even if this is true,
> does it matter? Seriously. We have people who have all sorts of jobs
> working
> on the wiki, most of whom know how to leave bias's at the door. Slim's one
> of my favorite admin, a little short at times, but incredibly dedicated
> and
> wholly appropriate. Even where I disagree with her (WP:ATT for one) it
> stems
> from a difference of opinion, not me thinking she's evil. Theres not any
> real evidence for any of these claims, true, but even if they were, who
> the
> hell cares? The WR crowd always assumes this is some major bombshell.
>
> On 7/27/07, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 7/27/07, SPUI <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/27/1943254 is currently
> on
> > > the front page, along with the text "It turns out that a Wikipedia
> > > administrator named SlimVirgin is actually Linda Mack..." Looks like
> > > outing to me.
> > >
> > It's only outing if it's true, and apparently it isn't.

> -Brock

Nick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Nick

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Stan Shebs-2
Brock Weller wrote:
> One thing I never see covered by Brandt and co. is even if this is true,
> does it matter?
Conspiracy theories - the Trilateral Commission, via the machinations of
the admin cabal led by "Slimmie", is using WP to secretly promote
neo-Marxist libertarianism, aiming at a world government run by the
survivors of Pan Am 103, flying around in black helicopters. Or
something like that.

:-)

Stan

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
On 7/28/07, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brock Weller wrote:
> > One thing I never see covered by Brandt and co. is even if this is true,
> > does it matter?
> Conspiracy theories - the Trilateral Commission, via the machinations of
> the admin cabal led by "Slimmie", is using WP to secretly promote
> neo-Marxist libertarianism, aiming at a world government run by the
> survivors of Pan Am 103, flying around in black helicopters. Or
> something like that.
>
> :-)
>
> Stan

On those lines, I don't think the following can be outdone. (Of course
teh mildly sad thing is that there is a limited number of wikipedians
reading this list currently who will be able to catch *all* the
hommages/nods/references so expertly delivered in the parody)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Zoe&oldid=4223822

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Thomas Dalton
How can you "infiltrate" Wikipedia? It's a public website. It would be
like infiltrating a shopping centre... If MI5 or any other
organisation wishes to edit Wikipedia, they are free to, just like
anyone else.

And, as usual the Slashdot summary is terrible. It says things were
permanently removed from the database (sounds like oversight, which I
don't think SlimVirgin has), when the article says nothing of the
sort, it just says its been "surpressed" (reverted and protected as
far as I can tell - since unprotected).

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

geni
> How can you "infiltrate" Wikipedia? It's a public website. It would be
> like infiltrating a shopping centre... If MI5 or any other
> organisation wishes to edit Wikipedia, they are free to, just like
> anyone else.

Mostly by gaining a position within the community that means it is
more likely your changes will stick. Given the legal limits on what
they can do would be of limited use to western agencies.

--
geni

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Anthony-73
> And, as usual the Slashdot summary is terrible. It says things were
> permanently removed from the database (sounds like oversight, which I
> don't think SlimVirgin has), when the article says nothing of the
> sort, it just says its been "surpressed" (reverted and protected as
> far as I can tell - since unprotected).

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&page=Pan_Am_Flight_103

Something was removed in early June 2006.  Anyone have a full history
dump from before then?  I think I have one somewhere, gotta find it
though.

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

The Cunctator
Have a sense of humor.

On 7/27/07, SPUI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/27/1943254 is currently on
> the front page, along with the text "It turns out that a Wikipedia
> administrator named SlimVirgin is actually Linda Mack..." Looks like
> outing to me.

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Thomas Dalton
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&page=Pan_Am_Flight_103
>
> Something was removed in early June 2006.  Anyone have a full history
> dump from before then?  I think I have one somewhere, gotta find it
> though.

That's just regular deleting, not oversight. There don't appear to be
any deleted revisions, however (Special:Undelete shows no revision
history). It looks like Musical Linguist deleted the article and
restored all but one revision (or possibly a handful) to remove
personal information (I'm guess that's what PI stands for), and then
the next day Jayjg restored that revision(s) too (I guess he disagreed
about it being personal). If I get bored, I might take a look at their
talk pages for those 2 days and see what happened.

The Cunctator wrote:
> Have a sense of humor.

My post was tongue-in-cheek.

> On 7/27/07, SPUI <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/27/1943254 is currently on
>> the front page, along with the text "It turns out that a Wikipedia
>> administrator named SlimVirgin is actually Linda Mack..." Looks like
>> outing to me.

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Anthony-73

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&page=Pan_Am_Flight_103
> >
> > Something was removed in early June 2006.  Anyone have a full history
> > dump from before then?  I think I have one somewhere, gotta find it
> > though.
>
> That's just regular deleting, not oversight. There don't appear to be
> any deleted revisions, however (Special:Undelete shows no revision
> history). It looks like Musical Linguist deleted the article and
> restored all but one revision (or possibly a handful) to remove
> personal information (I'm guess that's what PI stands for), and then
> the next day Jayjg restored that revision(s) too (I guess he disagreed
> about it being personal).

I dunno, I think a more likely explanation is that the regular
deleting happened first, and the oversight came later.  Also take a
look at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=User%3ASlimVirgin
which happened around the same time period.

> If I get bored, I might take a look at their
> talk pages for those 2 days and see what happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk%3AMusical_Linguist&diff=56852734&oldid=56325021

of course

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=User+talk%3AMusical_Linguist

The only thing which lends any credence at all to the rumors is the
fact that some people are going to such lengths to cover things up.
Not that I buy the story as Brandt tells it - I would think a
government agent would do a better job of disappearing once eir cover
was blown.

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Thomas Dalton
> I dunno, I think a more likely explanation is that the regular
> deleting happened first, and the oversight came later.  Also take a
> look at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=User%3ASlimVirgin
> which happened around the same time period.

What makes you think there was any oversighting? The logs aren't
visible without the oversight privilege, so I have no way to be sure,
but I see nothing to suggest anything was oversighted. I don't see
what is unlikely about my description, it's simply a commentary on the
deletion log.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=User+talk%3AMusical_Linguist

Those deleted revisions I can see, and they are discussions regarding
personal information that was published on Wikipedia Review. I see
nothing untoward about them being deleted.

> The only thing which lends any credence at all to the rumors is the
> fact that some people are going to such lengths to cover things up.
> Not that I buy the story as Brandt tells it - I would think a
> government agent would do a better job of disappearing once eir cover
> was blown.

I see no coverup, just deletions of personal information, entirely
according to policy. (Remember, oversight was a brand new feature when
this was going on.)

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Anthony-73

> > I dunno, I think a more likely explanation is that the regular
> > deleting happened first, and the oversight came later.  Also take a
> > look at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=User%3ASlimVirgin
> > which happened around the same time period.
>
> What makes you think there was any oversighting? The logs aren't
> visible without the oversight privilege, so I have no way to be sure,
> but I see nothing to suggest anything was oversighted. I don't see
> what is unlikely about my description, it's simply a commentary on the
> deletion log.

After looking some more at this, I'm going to go back to not leaning
in either direction.  There might have been things oversighted, and
there might not have been.

The slashdot article claimed that "many of her edits to articles
related to the bombing were permanently removed from the database in
an attempt to conceal her identity", but looking at the edit history
of the article, many of those edits were *not* removed as well.

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=User+talk%3AMusical_Linguist
>
> Those deleted revisions I can see, and they are discussions regarding
> personal information that was published on Wikipedia Review. I see
> nothing untoward about them being deleted.
>
> > The only thing which lends any credence at all to the rumors is the
> > fact that some people are going to such lengths to cover things up.
> > Not that I buy the story as Brandt tells it - I would think a
> > government agent would do a better job of disappearing once eir cover
> > was blown.
>
> I see no coverup, just deletions of personal information, entirely
> according to policy. (Remember, oversight was a brand new feature when
> this was going on.)

I actually suspected that oversight was a brand new feature based on
the logs.  But I'm through speculating for now.

Re: Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Thomas Dalton
> I actually suspected that oversight was a brand new feature based on
> the logs.  But I'm through speculating for now.

I went and found the old Signpost where it was reported. The feature
was first used near the end of that May - about a week before the
deletions took place.

1234 ... 11