Ombudsman commission

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ombudsman commission

Peter Jacobi-3
On dewiki there is a discussion whether the Ombudsman commission does
fulfill its mission.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Diskussion:Checkuser/Anfragen#Ombudskommission

Some months ago there was a checkuser action which was questioned by
some users and the Ombudsman commission was asked to investigate the
case. The only dewiki  member of the Ombudsman commission did recuse
himself from the case. The other members can't be reached or don't
comment.


Regards,
Peter

[[User:Pjacobi]]

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

Effe iets anders
Has this issue been resolved? I think it would be quite serious if the
committee is not functioning, so would like to get some confirmation here.
Thanks.

Lodewijk

2009/7/18 Peter Jacobi <[hidden email]>

> On dewiki there is a discussion whether the Ombudsman commission does
> fulfill its mission.
>
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Diskussion:Checkuser/Anfragen#Ombudskommission
>
> Some months ago there was a checkuser action which was questioned by
> some users and the Ombudsman commission was asked to investigate the
> case. The only dewiki  member of the Ombudsman commission did recuse
> himself from the case. The other members can't be reached or don't
> comment.
>
>
> Regards,
> Peter
>
> [[User:Pjacobi]]
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

geni
2009/7/26 effe iets anders <[hidden email]>:
> Has this issue been resolved? I think it would be quite serious if the
> committee is not functioning, so would like to get some confirmation here.
> Thanks.
>
> Lodewijk
>

Doesn't appear to be.

--
geni

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

Christophe Henner
2009/7/27 geni <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/7/26 effe iets anders <[hidden email]>:
>> Has this issue been resolved? I think it would be quite serious if the
>> committee is not functioning, so would like to get some confirmation here.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Lodewijk
>>
>
> Doesn't appear to be.
>
> --
> geni
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>

I'm working on it for a few days.


By the way, this isn't the first time the Ombudsman Commission is
"laggy". I would think that a mailing list isn't the best tool to work
on cases.

--
Christophe

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

Effe iets anders
I hope those procedures are fixed with a high priority. Because privacy is a
serious issue, and users are referred to the ombudsmen committee often,
assuming that is fully functional if necessary. If it is not, that means a
lot more responsibility for the WMF, the stewards etc. Are the current
members still willing to perform their tasks, are they able to? I hope this
gets fixed very fast.

Thanks,

Lodewijk

2009/7/27 Christophe Henner <[hidden email]>

> 2009/7/27 geni <[hidden email]>:
> > 2009/7/26 effe iets anders <[hidden email]>:
> >> Has this issue been resolved? I think it would be quite serious if the
> >> committee is not functioning, so would like to get some confirmation
> here.
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Lodewijk
> >>
> >
> > Doesn't appear to be.
> >
> > --
> > geni
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > foundation-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
> >
>
> I'm working on it for a few days.
>
>
> By the way, this isn't the first time the Ombudsman Commission is
> "laggy". I would think that a mailing list isn't the best tool to work
> on cases.
>
> --
> Christophe
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

Al Tally
This is strange - in times past, we have had only 3 ombudsmen at a time, and
now we have five. Are they all fairly active? Do they want to continue this
role? Have they all been contacted? I notice, for example, that the enwiki
based ombudsman, Sam Korn, has made just one edit this month. I think for a
role like this, it is necessary to be more active than that.


--
Alex
(User:Majorly)
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

Casey Brown-5
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Al Tally<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I notice, for example, that the enwiki
> based ombudsman, Sam Korn, has made just one edit this month. I think for a
> role like this, it is necessary to be more active than that.
>

I wouldn't necessarily define "active" by edits in this role, but I
definitely agree with you that I haven't seen much activity anywhere
from the members...

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

Thomas Dalton
2009/7/28 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Al Tally<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I notice, for example, that the enwiki
>> based ombudsman, Sam Korn, has made just one edit this month. I think for a
>> role like this, it is necessary to be more active than that.
>>
>
> I wouldn't necessarily define "active" by edits in this role, but I
> definitely agree with you that I haven't seen much activity anywhere
> from the members...

I agree, edits aren't really relevant. In fact, I think people that
aren't very active on the projects would make better ombudsmen since
they are less likely to be involved and can be more independent.
What's most important is whether or not they are active on the
commission.

Perhaps the WMF should take over this role? It is their privacy policy
being enforced. When the commission was founded the WMF was very small
and it would have been very difficult for them to do the job, but it
is much bigger now so might be able to manage.

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

Al Tally
In reply to this post by Casey Brown-5
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Al Tally<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I notice, for example, that the enwiki
> > based ombudsman, Sam Korn, has made just one edit this month. I think for
> a
> > role like this, it is necessary to be more active than that.
> >
>
> I wouldn't necessarily define "active" by edits in this role, but I
> definitely agree with you that I haven't seen much activity anywhere
> from the members...
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023
>

Depends. Lack of activity could easily indicate business in real life.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

Peter Jacobi-3
The issue is still unresolved.

de:User:Mautpreller, who filed the original complaint, just affirmed
that there is still no answer.

See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Diskussion:Checkuser/Anfragen#Ombudskommission

So, just doing nothing may be a way of telling de:User:Mautpreller
that his complaint is considered pointless, but this method of
(non-)communication seems out of place for complaints regarding such a
central topic as the privacy policy.


Regards,
Peter

*:User:Pjacobi

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ombudsman commission

Christophe Henner
2009/8/9 Peter Jacobi <[hidden email]>:

> The issue is still unresolved.
>
> de:User:Mautpreller, who filed the original complaint, just affirmed
> that there is still no answer.
>
> See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Diskussion:Checkuser/Anfragen#Ombudskommission
>
> So, just doing nothing may be a way of telling de:User:Mautpreller
> that his complaint is considered pointless, but this method of
> (non-)communication seems out of place for complaints regarding such a
> central topic as the privacy policy.
>
>
> Regards,
> Peter
>
> *:User:Pjacobi
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>

I am taking care of it but, i'm sorry, I took the case up only two
weeks ago. I have a job wich takes me a lot of time and german is not
my native language. So any answers won't just pop up.

I'll do as quick as I can to issue an answer.

All the best,

--
Christophe

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l