Online registration through API?

Jo Mo
Hello,

Is there any way to do online registration of a user through an API? I see APIs for login, logout etc, but don't see anything for registration. Do I need the Special block for that? If so, are there any examples around?

Regards

Re: Online registration through API?

Roan Kattouw
Jo Morano schreef:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to do online registration of a user through an API? I see
> APIs for login, logout etc, but don't see anything for registration. Do I
> need the Special block for that? If so, are there any examples around?
You currently can't register a new user through the API, and I don't
think it's a good idea to implement it either.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: Online registration through API?

Jo Mo
Interesting. The alternative will be for me to 'dress up' my mediawiki registration page so that it looks similar to the rest of my (flash based) UI. Then I'd do a pop up to that page or a forward to that page from my client to enable registration...

Is it easy to modify the front page of mediawiki, like changing background color, header images etc? Or will I need to do some php and screen scraping?

Regards

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jo Morano schreef:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to do online registration of a user through an API? I see
> APIs for login, logout etc, but don't see anything for registration. Do I
> need the Special block for that? If so, are there any examples around?
You currently can't register a new user through the API, and I don't
think it's a good idea to implement it either.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: Online registration through API?

Platonides
Jo Morano wrote:

> Interesting. The alternative will be for me to 'dress up' my mediawiki
> registration page so that it looks similar to the rest of my (flash
> based) UI. Then I'd do a pop up to that page or a forward to that page
> from my client to enable registration...
>
> Is it easy to modify the front page of mediawiki, like changing
> background color, header images etc? Or will I need to do some php and
> screen scraping?
>
> Regards

You don't need to modify the registration page. You can create a form
with the same fields and post it to the signup page (unless you're using
a captcha).
What would need to be customized is the "Ok, you're registered" page
(and the error messages).

Having your use case, it may be worth adding it.

For the record, there's an old proposal about how it could work at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Edit_-_Register_new_user

Re: Online registration through API?

KALAN-4
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 00:48, Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> and I don't
> think it's a good idea to implement it either.

Just make it an optional module, disabled by default (like edit API).

— Kalan

Re: Online registration through API?

rfrisar

There's one version for online registration here:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/branches/ApiEdit_Vodafone, see
/includes/api/ApiRegUser.php.

It was functional by the time of the last update, although the option to
activate it from ApiMain.php is not implemented.

Regards,

Raquel

> Interesting. The alternative will be for me to 'dress up' my mediawiki

> registration page so that it looks similar to the rest of my (flash
> based) UI. Then I'd do a pop up to that page or a forward to that page

> from my client to enable registration...
>
> Is it easy to modify the front page of mediawiki, like changing
> background color, header images etc? Or will I need to do some php and

> screen scraping?
>
> Regards

You don't need to modify the registration page. You can create a form
with the same fields and post it to the signup page (unless you're using
a captcha).
What would need to be customized is the "Ok, you're registered" page
(and the error messages).

Having your use case, it may be worth adding it.

For the record, there's an old proposal about how it could work at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Edit_-_Register_new_user

Confidencialidad
Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo, contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su destinatario o destinatarios y propiedad de Vodafone España. Queda prohibida su divulgación, copia o distribución a terceros sin la previa autorización escrita de Vodafone España, en virtud de la legislación vigente. En el caso de haber recibido este correo electrónico por error, se ruega notificar inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenvío a la dirección electrónica del remitente y la destrucción del mismo.

Confidentiality
The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is classified as Vodafone España Confidential and Proprietary Information and solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication is prohibited without the prior written consent of Vodafone España and is s strictly prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in error, please, notify the sender by reply e-mail.