Only on WP is the victim a "bully"

Matthew Jacobs
Only on WP. This kind of crap is why I've essentially given up on the site.
The man wants an article on HIS OWN WORK to be accurate, and was frustrated
by the apparently quite unhelpful people he met there. That's just plain
ridiculous, but it's beyond absurd that he would then be called a "bully"
for trying to get it fixed when no-one apparently seemed to interested in
helping him.

We should show concern when someone in the know shows up and says an
article is wrong, and not get territorial, which is what I'm suspecting
happened. How about "we're really not happy that the article is wrong, but
we need a source we can point to outside of WP for this fact. We can't
prove that you're actually who you say you are here. Can you make a
statement in a professional blog, or anywhere, almost, where your identity
is verified? Since it's about your own thoughts about your own work, that's
all we really need." Instead, the admin gave him some WP jargon about how
he's not a reliable source, so he took it to the news and complained, as he
rightly should, based on the way he was apparently treated.

I'm really, really sick of administrators acting like complete jerks, and
not only failing to get admonished in any significant way for it, but
people making up excuses for their dickish behavior, and then attacking the
victim as a "bully".

And yes, this is somewhat personal for me, in case you hadn't guessed.
During a content dispute, an administrator tried to gain the upper hand
against me by claiming I'd said off-site that I would intentionally add
false information to WP. Considering that kind of deceitful behavior goes
against my very personality, I was quite angry that he made an attack like
that up, and called the claim out for the lie it was. Can you guess how
that ended? I was accused by a number of editors (particularly, but not
limited to, his cabal of buddies) of trying to bully the administrator, and
they went so far as to attempt to make it part of an RFC against me and
others. That was years ago, but nothing ever changes on WP. Same old
dickishness, different year.

And people wonder why EN.WP can't keep editors.

Sxeptomaniac

> Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 09:00:35 +0200
> From: Luca Motoc <[hidden email]>
> To: English Wikipedia <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] trying to bully us?
>

> Yes.
>
> 2012/9/8 Katie Chan <[hidden email]>
>
> > Really? An author wanting us to correct inaccuracy on article talking
> > about his inspiration for a book is bullying, trying to dictate Wikipedia
> > content, and is throwing his weight around?
> >
> > If there's someone throwing their weight around here, look in the mirror
> > Wikipedia editors.
> >
> > KTC
> >
> > --
> > Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
> >     - Heinrich Heine

Re: Only on WP is the victim a "bully"

Charles Matthews
On 10 September 2012 17:26, Matthew Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Only on WP. This kind of crap is why I've essentially given up on the site.
> The man wants an article on HIS OWN WORK to be accurate, and was frustrated
> by the apparently quite unhelpful people he met there. That's just plain
> ridiculous, but it's beyond absurd that he would then be called a "bully"
> for trying to get it fixed when no-one apparently seemed to interested in
> helping him.
>
> That is a very poor description of what went on here. Roth could have
called out critics who made misleading statements about his work quite some
time ago. He got a direct reply from us.

Charles

Re: Only on WP is the victim a "bully"

Marc Riddell
on 9/10/12 12:26 PM, Matthew Jacobs at [hidden email] wrote:

>skip<

> I'm really, really sick of administrators acting like complete jerks, and
> not only failing to get admonished in any significant way for it, but
> people making up excuses for their dickish behavior, and then attacking the
> victim as a "bully".

>skip<
>
> Sxeptomaniac

This is what happens when give a great deal of power over others to persons
who, in their own lives, feel they have little or none. I have been asking
for a more mature, objective oversite of this situation for several years
now, but have gotten no support with this.

Marc Riddell