Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Andrew Gray
I'm just putting some stuff together before I head out for this
tomorrow - is anyone else from the list going?

http://www.okfn.org/okcon/

London E14, 11 to 6.30. Looks quite interesting.

http://www.okfn.org/okcon/

--
- Andrew Gray
  [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Alison M. Wheeler
On Fri, March 16, 2007 19:22, Andrew Gray wrote:
> I'm just putting some stuff together before I head out for this
> tomorrow - is anyone else from the list going?
> http://www.okfn.org/okcon/

I feel like being a little flippant and commenting that this is such "open
knowledge" that I hadn't heard of it and they hadn't contacted WMUK, who
would, I'd have thought, count as a group involved in the furtherance of
open knowledge!

Alison

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Rob Church
On 16/03/07, Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I feel like being a little flippant and commenting that this is such "open
> knowledge" that I hadn't heard of it and they hadn't contacted WMUK, who
> would, I'd have thought, count as a group involved in the furtherance of
> open knowledge!

Evidence, perhaps, that Wikimedia UK needs to pimp itself out there more...;)


Rob Church

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Oldak
In reply to this post by Alison M. Wheeler
On 16/03/07, Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, March 16, 2007 19:22, Andrew Gray wrote:
> > I'm just putting some stuff together before I head out for this
> > tomorrow - is anyone else from the list going?
> > http://www.okfn.org/okcon/
>
> I feel like being a little flippant and commenting that this is such "open
> knowledge" that I hadn't heard of it and they hadn't contacted WMUK, who
> would, I'd have thought, count as a group involved in the furtherance of
> open knowledge!

You're not right about that:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediauk-l/2007-February/000833.html

A representative posted on this list last month. From the e-mail: "One of our
particular aims is to keep space (physical and temporal) at the event
for 'extra', and perhaps unplanned, presentations, demos and workshops."

Shame we hadn't prepared anything.

I might well be going. I'll take a look at the itinerary later.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Gordon Joly
In reply to this post by Alison M. Wheeler
At 21:54 +0000 16/3/07, Alison Wheeler wrote:

>On Fri, March 16, 2007 19:22, Andrew Gray wrote:
>>  I'm just putting some stuff together before I head out for this
>  > tomorrow - is anyone else from the list going?
>>  http://www.okfn.org/okcon/
>
>I feel like being a little flippant and commenting that this is such "open
>knowledge" that I hadn't heard of it and they hadn't contacted WMUK, who
>would, I'd have thought, count as a group involved in the furtherance of
>open knowledge!
>
>Alison
>

I will be there................... look forward to seeing y'all there too!



*****
Register for Open Knowledge 1.0

Please register for Open Knowledge 1.0 using the form below. Any
problems, drop a line to: info [at] okfn [dot] org.

157 people have registered so far.

*****

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Alison M. Wheeler
In reply to this post by Oldak
On Fri, March 16, 2007 22:05, Oldak Quill wrote:
> A representative posted on this list last month. From the e-mail: "One of
> our
> particular aims is to keep space (physical and temporal) at the event
> for 'extra', and perhaps unplanned, presentations, demos and workshops."
> Shame we hadn't prepared anything.

I don't think anyone would consider the posting of a message to a
world-wide list [foundation-l] was an adequate or suitable way to formally
contact an organisation. Rufus's mail to foundation was then copied to
this list, though I have to say that I didn't notice it at the time (too
many lists, way too many posts, too little time!)

I have just sent a note to them asking that they keep us in mind next
time, especially given that we the the first-listed entry on their Open
Projects [1] page.

Alison

[1] http://www.okfn.org/open%20knowledge%20trail/open_projects/

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Alison M. Wheeler
In reply to this post by Rob Church
On Fri, March 16, 2007 22:01, Rob Church wrote:
> Evidence, perhaps, that Wikimedia UK needs to pimp itself out there
> more...;)

We've already been doing some of that (though 'pimp' probably doesn't
apply as we aren't making much money from it!) but the reverse is also
true - OKF need to let other UK-based organisations working in similar
spheres know that they exist too.

Alison

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Andrew Gray
In reply to this post by Alison M. Wheeler
On 16/03/07, Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, March 16, 2007 19:22, Andrew Gray wrote:
> > I'm just putting some stuff together before I head out for this
> > tomorrow - is anyone else from the list going?
> > http://www.okfn.org/okcon/
>
> I feel like being a little flippant and commenting that this is such "open
> knowledge" that I hadn't heard of it and they hadn't contacted WMUK, who
> would, I'd have thought, count as a group involved in the furtherance of
> open knowledge!

It was advertised on one of the WM lists (foundation or wikien-l, I
think) about a month or six weeks ago, and I forwarded it here, but
other than that it seems to be generally rather low-profile - I
haven't stumbled across mention of it elsewhere

--
- Andrew Gray
  [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Oldak
In reply to this post by Andrew Gray
On 16/03/07, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm just putting some stuff together before I head out for this
> tomorrow - is anyone else from the list going?
>
> http://www.okfn.org/okcon/
>
> London E14, 11 to 6.30. Looks quite interesting.
>
> http://www.okfn.org/okcon/

Did anyone go?

I saw the open media and science sections (1400-1800) which were both
interesting. A general theme seemed to be increasing access to free
information: better search engines, awareness, taking it to the
public, sharing, &c. BBC's failings when it comes to the Creative
Archive were expounded.

Science was particularly good (but then, I'm a scientist) - discussed
importance of free science. Both increasing access to already free
materials and freeing currently non-free things (journals) were
brought up. Pharmaceutical patents were mentioned. The power of the
semantic web was brought in (in reference to the annotated human
genome, chemistry).

I'm not sure there was much of a message there for Wikimedia since the
creation of free content was barely touched. Wikimedia Commons could
perhaps take something from the Open Media talks: collaborating with
similar projects, making it easy for other projects to use it's
information, interoperability.

Maybe we should start looking to the potential of the semantic web...
(Semantic MediaWiki).

The talks were recorded so hopefully they'll be made available to watch online.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Andrew Gray
On 17/03/07, Oldak Quill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Did anyone go?

Yup. Didn't see you there - at least, don't think I did - but I
spotted Gordon (and the back of my head's in his photos...). A couple
of Wikimedians of various stripes were talking, though I'm not sure
they read the lists - Goatchurch's talk on UN documents was pretty
interesting.

> I saw the open media and science sections (1400-1800) which were both
> interesting. A general theme seemed to be increasing access to free
> information: better search engines, awareness, taking it to the
> public, sharing, &c. BBC's failings when it comes to the Creative
> Archive were expounded.

As were the failings of Creative Commons! I rather like the comments
about "just another brand", which is a problem I've vaguely sensed
before but never seen stated as such, and it's a very interesting
summary of a lot of the problems with it.

> Science was particularly good (but then, I'm a scientist) - discussed
> importance of free science. Both increasing access to already free
> materials and freeing currently non-free things (journals) were
> brought up. Pharmaceutical patents were mentioned. The power of the
> semantic web was brought in (in reference to the annotated human
> genome, chemistry).

Plus the (IMO somewhat unjustified) session of beating up the poor guy
from OPSI - apparently spending effort on making sure that government
documents are published in a way that makes them usable is a great
waste of time, and we should just throw everything online in a web 2.0
sort of way and Trust To The Internet to solve it.

On the plus side, I cornered him afterwards and managed to find out
that a project I've been preparing for (and resigned to starting
myself!) for some time will be going ahead, which is excellent news.

--
- Andrew Gray
  [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Gordon Joly
In reply to this post by Oldak
At 21:38 +0000 17/3/07, Oldak Quill wrote:

>On 16/03/07, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  I'm just putting some stuff together before I head out for this
>>  tomorrow - is anyone else from the list going?
>>
>>  http://www.okfn.org/okcon/
>>
>>  London E14, 11 to 6.30. Looks quite interesting.
>>
>>  http://www.okfn.org/okcon/
>
>Did anyone go?
>
>I saw the open media and science sections (1400-1800) which were both
>interesting. A general theme seemed to be increasing access to free
>information: better search engines, awareness, taking it to the
>public, sharing, &c. BBC's failings when it comes to the Creative
>Archive were expounded.
>
>Science was particularly good (but then, I'm a scientist) - discussed
>importance of free science. Both increasing access to already free
>materials and freeing currently non-free things (journals) were
>brought up. Pharmaceutical patents were mentioned. The power of the
>semantic web was brought in (in reference to the annotated human
>genome, chemistry).
>
>I'm not sure there was much of a message there for Wikimedia since the
>creation of free content was barely touched. Wikimedia Commons could
>perhaps take something from the Open Media talks: collaborating with
>similar projects, making it easy for other projects to use it's
>information, interoperability.
>
>Maybe we should start looking to the potential of the semantic web...
>(Semantic MediaWiki).
>
>The talks were recorded so hopefully they'll be made available to
>watch online.
>
>--
>Oldak Quill ([hidden email])


I saw most of the morning session on geodata, and most of the science
session. The panel was chaired by Becky Hogge (Open Rights Group).
The panel were:

Ed Parsons, until recently CTO of the Ordnance Survey

Steve Coast, founder of Open Street Map

Charles Arthur, http://www.freeourdata.org.uk/ and Technology Editor
of the Guardian

The theme of the day was "Atomisation and Commercial Opportunity" and
both those seen pertinent to Wikipedia.

I also stayed until the end, and enjoyed the open talks. I was in Room 2.

http://okfn.org/wiki/okcon/

Jo Walsh's slot was taken by Hugh Barnard

http://www.hughbarnard.org/

Finally, we adjourned to "5b Urban Bar" - formerly "The Five Bells
and Blade Bone" in Three Colt Street.

Gordo


--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open Knowledge - Saturday 17th

Gordon Joly
In reply to this post by Andrew Gray
At 18:54 +0000 18/3/07, Andrew Gray wrote:

>On 17/03/07, Oldak Quill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Did anyone go?
>
>Yup. Didn't see you there - at least, don't think I did - but I
>spotted Gordon (and the back of my head's in his photos...). A couple
>of Wikimedians of various stripes were talking, though I'm not sure
>they read the lists - Goatchurch's talk on UN documents was pretty
>interesting.
>
>>  I saw the open media and science sections (1400-1800) which were both
>>  interesting. A general theme seemed to be increasing access to free
>>  information: better search engines, awareness, taking it to the
>>  public, sharing, &c. BBC's failings when it comes to the Creative
>>  Archive were expounded.
>
>As were the failings of Creative Commons! I rather like the comments
>about "just another brand", which is a problem I've vaguely sensed
>before but never seen stated as such, and it's a very interesting
>summary of a lot of the problems with it.
>
>>  Science was particularly good (but then, I'm a scientist) - discussed
>>  importance of free science. Both increasing access to already free
>>  materials and freeing currently non-free things (journals) were
>>  brought up. Pharmaceutical patents were mentioned. The power of the
>>  semantic web was brought in (in reference to the annotated human
>>  genome, chemistry).
>
>Plus the (IMO somewhat unjustified) session of beating up the poor guy
>from OPSI - apparently spending effort on making sure that government
>documents are published in a way that makes them usable is a great
>waste of time, and we should just throw everything online in a web 2.0
>sort of way and Trust To The Internet to solve it.
>
>On the plus side, I cornered him afterwards and managed to find out
>that a project I've been preparing for (and resigned to starting
>myself!) for some time will be going ahead, which is excellent news.
>
>--
>- Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]
>
>_


It was a good day overall, and very good value at 10 quid! The guy
from OPSI often confessed to "speaking above his pay grade"!

Some impressions from my day can be found at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loopzilla/tags/ok10/

Gordon


--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/
[hidden email]///

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l