OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

Nicolas Jullien

Dear all,

it's my pleasure to inform you that the call for paper for OpenSym 2018
is available.
Conference Website and call for papers: http://opensym.org

Papers are due by March 15, 23h59 (any time on Earth).
Submission: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=opensym2018
(accepted rate in 2017: 45%)

Topics: The conference provides peer-reviewed research tracks on
subjects related to open collaboration including:
- Open Collaboration Research, esp. Wikis and Social Media
- Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS)
- Open Data, Open Access, and Open Science
- Open Education
- IT-Driven Open Innovation
- Open Policy/Open Government/Open Law
- Wikipedia and Wikimedia Research

Looking forward to seeing your paper's presentation in Paris

Nicolas Jullien, general chair of OpenSym 2018

About the Conference
--------------------

OpenSym is the only conference that brings together the different
strands of open collaboration research and practice, seeking to create
synergies and inspire new collaborations between people from computer
science, information science, social science, humanities, and everyone
interested in understanding open collaboration and how it is changing
our society.
This year’s conference will be held in Paris, France on August 22-24,
2018.  A Doctoral Symposium will take place on August 21, 2018.
OpenSym is held in-cooperation with ACM SIGWEB and ACM SIGSOFT and the
conference proceedings will be archived in the ACM digital library like
all prior editions.

Submission Information and Instructions
---------------------------------------
Topics: The conference provides peer-reviewed research tracks on
subjects related to open collaboration including:
- Open Collaboration Research, esp. Wikis and Social Media
- Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS)
- Open Data, Open Access, and Open Science
- Open Education
- IT-Driven Open Innovation
- Open Policy/Open Government/Open Law
- Wikipedia and Wikimedia Research
Paper Presentation: OpenSym 2018 will be organized as a one track
conference in order to emphasize the interdisciplinary character of this
conference and to encourage discussion.
Submission Deadline: The research paper submission deadline is March
15th 2018. Submitted papers should present integrative reviews or
original reports of substantive new work: theoretical, empirical, and/or
in the design, development and/or deployment of novel concepts, systems,
and mechanisms. Research papers will be reviewed to meet rigorous
academic standards of publication. Papers will be reviewed for
relevance, conceptual quality, innovation and clarity of presentation.
All the submissions are done via the EasyChair platform, here:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=opensym2018
Paper Length: There is no minimum or maximum length for submitted
papers. Rather, reviewers will be instructed to weigh the contribution
of a paper relative to its length. Papers should report research
thoroughly but succinctly: brevity is a virtue. A typical length of a
“long research paper” is 10 pages (formerly the maximum length limit and
the limit on OpenSym tracks), but may be shorter if the contribution can
be described and supported in fewer pages—shorter, more focused papers
(called “short research papers” previously) are encouraged and will be
reviewed like any other paper. While we will review papers longer than
10 pages, the contribution must warrant the extra length. Reviewers will
be instructed to reject papers whose length is incommensurate with the
size of their contribution. Papers should be formatted in ACM SIGCHI
paper format. Reviewing is not double-blind so manuscripts do not need
to be anonymized.
Posters: As in previous years, OpenSym will also be hosting a poster
session at the conference. To propose a poster, authors should submit an
extended abstract (not more than 4 pages) describing the content of the
poster which will be published in a non-archival companion proceedings
to the conference. Posters should use the ACM SIGCHI templates for
extended abstracts. An example of a poster abstract can be found here.
Reviewing is not double-blind so abstracts do not need to be anonymized.
Paper Proceedings: OpenSym is held in-cooperation with ACM SIGWEB and
ACM SIGSOFT and the conference proceedings will be archived in the ACM
digital library like all prior editions. OpenSym seeks to accommodate
the needs of the different research disciplines it draws on including
disciplines with archival conference proceedings and disciplines where
authors usually present at conferences and publish later. Authors, whose
submitted papers have been accepted for presentation at the conference
have a choice of:
having their paper become part of the official proceedings, archived in
the ACM Digital Library,
having their paper published in the conference website only, with no
transfer of copyright from the authors,
having no publication record at all but only the presentation at the
conference.
Response from authors: For the second time at OpenSym, authors will be
given the opportunity to write a response to their reviews before final
decisions are made. This should be treated as an opportunity to correct
any mistakes or misconceptions in the reviews as well as to propose
minor changes that the authors can make during the two weeks between
notification and the camera-ready deadline.
Important Dates
     Submission deadline: March 15, 2018
     Reviews sent to authors: May 11, 2018
     Response to reviews from authors due: May 20, 2018
     Final decision notification: June 15, 2018
     Camera-ready papers due: June 22, 2018
     Papers available online: July 13, 2018
Conference Organization
The general chairs of the conference are Nicolas Jullien and Olivier
Berger, IMT, France. Feel free to contact us with any questions you
might have at [hidden email].

--
Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/

Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr

Responsable du M2 management innovation
parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/

--
Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/

Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr

Responsable du M2 management innovation
parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/

Re: OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

Aaron Halfaker-2
Hi Nicolas!

Thanks for sending the CFP.  Any chance that the talks will be
live-streamed this year?  :)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:57 AM, Nicolas Jullien <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> have at [hidden email].
>

> --
> Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
> https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/
>
> Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
> Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr
>
> Responsable du M2 management innovation
> parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
> https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/
>
> --
> Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
> https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/
>
> Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
> Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr
>
> Responsable du M2 management innovation
> parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
> https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/

Re: OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

Hello,

our plan is that they will, we are committed to that, but also that the
papers are accessible before the presentation.
Olivier and Georg, in cc, are already working on that aspect.

My philosophy is that the goal of the presentations (and of being in
Paris) must be to interact better, to build on the research presented,
in a world to have time to co-construct the next steps.

But, of course, if you guys reading cannot be in Paris with us (August
22-24), we will make our best to provide you with the tools to be
connected with the conference

Nicolas

Le 17/01/2018 à 21:59, Aaron Halfaker a écrit :

> [...]
>
>     --
>     Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
>     https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/
>     <https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/>
>
>     Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
>     Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr
>
>     Responsable du M2 management innovation
>     parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
>     https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/
>     <https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/>

Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/

Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr

Responsable du M2 management innovation
parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/

Re: OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

That's great to hear!  I feel like live streaming will dramatically
increase the impact of an Open Sym paper.  I look forward to putting
together a submission or two for this year's conference.  :)

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 2:33 AM, Nicolas Jullien <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>     <https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/>
>>
>>     --     Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
>>     https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/
>>     <https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/>
>>
>>     Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
>>     Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr
>>
>>     Responsable du M2 management innovation
>>     parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
>>     https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/
>>     <https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/>

> Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
> https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/
>
> Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
> Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr
>
> Responsable du M2 management innovation
> parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
> https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/

Re: OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

Leila Zia
Hi Nicolas,

While I appreciate the desire and commitment to be open by default and
I am big supporter of Aaron's reminders to all of us for staying open
as much as we can, I'd like to put some different perspective here, as
the topic of video-recording for academic conferences has been
relatively hot in the past few years. :)

I do believe that the organizers of academic conferences (and I
emphasize on the academic component, I do have very different
perspectives for a conference such as Wikimania or an event like
WikiCite) should consider cost tradeoffs very carefully when choosing
to record the sessions at all or not. For context, I'm the general
co-chair for The Web Conference 2019 (a.k.a., WWW2019) and we actively
discuss this topic in the context of that conference. Some things to
consider:

* The cost of recording (almost) all sessions, depending on where you
organize the conference can be really high. For example, for a
conference in San Francisco, unless the conference is organized on a
federal land (which is not the case for TWC2019), we cannot have
volunteers recording the sessions. Professional crew will have to do
it, and one will have to look at the costs carefully. We will be
talking certainly about more than $150K.

* KDD has been doing recording of many of its sessions in the past
couple of years. The view counts of these videos are not very high. I
understand that view counts is not the only measure of success for a
video, but I also would argue that if the cost is very high, and
resources are constrained, someone should look into the value the
recording will bring for the global community of researchers.

* In the limited subset of conferences I attend or I'm in network of,
year in and year out, Networking is chosen as the top reason for
coming to the conference. Many choose to attend a few talks and spend
the rest of the time just talking to people. :) Just today a colleague
reminded me of this: people who attend these conferences have already
decided what is the most valuable item for them in this conference.
Why should we take the second or third most favorite part of the
conference and record it for others? Why don't we focus on the top
commodity and make it available to those who can't attend? This is
something to keep in mind.

* Someone should seriously look into this, but there is argument to be
made that if the money spent on recording is very large compared to
the size of the budget for the conference, channeling that to student
scholarships and providing an opportunity to students who normally
would not make it to these conferences to experience the networking
side of the conference (which is rated very high usually in surveys)
can be a better choice. I'm not talking about providing scholarships
to the students who would make it anyway, but thinking carefully about
those who would never make it on their own unless we would proactively
reach out to them and help them make the journey happen.

Good luck with organizing OpenSym. I have even a bigger respect now
that I'm at this side of a big conference for people like you and your
colleagues who stand up, many times as volunteers, and make these
conferences happen. :)

Best,
Leila

--
Leila Zia
Senior Research Scientist

fn

Re: OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

fn
A few extra notes:

On Wikidata we have P4419 for VideoLectures. There are only 47 linked at
the moment.

SELECT ?item ?itemLabel ?url WHERE {
   ?item wdt:P4419 ?videolectures .
   BIND(URI(CONCAT('http://videolectures.net/', ?videolectures)) AS ?url)
   SERVICE wikibase:label { bd:serviceParam wikibase:language
"[AUTO_LANGUAGE],en". }
}

https://query.wikidata.org/#SELECT%20%3Fitem%20%3FitemLabel%20%3Furl%20WHERE%20%7B%0A%20%20%3Fitem%20wdt%3AP4419%20%3Fvideolectures%20.%0A%20%20BIND%28URI%28CONCAT%28%27http%3A%2F%2Fvideolectures.net%2F%27%2C%20%3Fvideolectures%29%29%20AS%20%3Furl%29%0A%20%20SERVICE%20wikibase%3Alabel%20%7B%20bd%3AserviceParam%20wikibase%3Alanguage%20%22%5BAUTO_LANGUAGE%5D%2Cen%22.%20%7D%0A%7D

For KDD 2010 at http://videolectures.net/kdd2010_washington/ the three
invited talks have 1500 views (I do not know what a VideoLectures "view"
is, whether it is a complete view or just starting the video).

An opportunity with videos on Commons is to describe them on Wikidata so
that they can be queried with the Wikidata Query Service and become more
discoverable. We have recently started to add handling of events to
Scholia https://tools.wmflabs.org/scholia/. It would be interesting to
include videos to the Scholia pages describing scientific meetings.

Encouraging conference speakers to upload screencast could be another
possibility.

I wonder if there is any statistics on Wikimedia Commons video views?

As a P.S.: I find it interesting that videos can be reused out of
context, e.g., Wikinews videos on Korean matters were reused on the
page on Robert Kelly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kelly_(political_analyst)

Finn Årup Nielsen
http://people.compute.dtu.dk/faan/

On 01/18/2018 08:45 PM, Leila Zia wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>      --     Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
>>>      https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/
>>>      <https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/>
>>>
>>>      Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
>>>      Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr
>>>
>>>      Responsable du M2 management innovation
>>>      parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
>>>      https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/
>>>      <https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/>

>> --
>> Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
>> https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/
>>
>> Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
>> Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr
>>
>> Responsable du M2 management innovation
>> parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
>> https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/

Re: OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

+1 to Leila's note about recording sessions.  It's not cheap, but it
doesn't need to be so expensive.  Who is forcing us to use a professional
service (and profession pricing) to record the sessions?

If we can get around such requirements, I'd be interested in donating my
time.  We come from a culture of volunteers.  We have cell phones, and
bluetooth microphones are cheap.  I'd be willing to record/stream sessions
with my cell phone if the conference organizers can provide me a tripod,
power, and maybe a mifi so that a stream can get around the inevitably
terrible conference WiFi.  We stream talks regularly at the Wikimedia
Foundation.  From a software perspective, this is easy using Google
Hangouts and Youtube.  Hardware (audio setup) and network is the most
difficult.  But it doesn't need to be great.  It just needs to be usable.

Regarding the limited number of views, I imagine that whatever we do, there
will be a powerlaw -- with very few videos getting most of the views.  So
looking at the average view count is not a great metric of the success.  I
think it would be great if we could instead set a goal of having at least
one video go viral-ish from each iteration of the conference.  This would
involve doing some outreach and making space public discussions where
preferential attachment might take place.   E.g. you could do this by
tweeting the link to every talk and encouraging tweeters to @reply the
originating tweet with questions and thoughts.  That way, you'd take
advantage of the social network of attendees.

-Aaron

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 3:29 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> must be to interact better, to build on the research presented, in a
>>> world
>>> to have time to co-construct the next steps.
>>>
>>> But, of course, if you guys reading cannot be in Paris with us (August
>>> 22-24), we will make our best to provide you with the tools to be
>>> connected
>>> with the conference
>>>
>>> Nicolas

>>> --
>>> Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
>>> https://nicolasjullien.wp.mines-telecom.fr/
>>>
>>> Directeur de M@rsouin http://www.marsouin.org
>>> Membre du LEGO http://labo-lego.fr
>>>
>>> Responsable du M2 management innovation
>>> parcours Mgt du SI et des données @ischool IMT Atlantique
>>> https://innovationmanagement.wp.imt.fr/

Re: OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

Jan Dittrich
I never streamed, but using an good  recorder like the Zoom ones (100-150€)
one gets very good quality for mp3 to be uploaded. I also use a 40€ audio
recorder for qualitative interviews which also does a good job if within
1-2m to the speaker.

Jan

> [...]
> >> made that if the money spent on recording is very large compared to
> >> the size of the budget for the conference, channeling that to student
> >> scholarships and providing an opportunity to students who normally
> >> would not make it to these conferences to experience the networking
> >> side of the conference (which is rated very high usually in surveys)
> >> can be a better choice. I'm not talking about providing scholarships
> >> to the students who would make it anyway, but thinking carefully about
> >> those who would never make it on their own unless we would proactively
> >> reach out to them and help them make the journey happen.
> >>
> >> Good luck with organizing OpenSym. I have even a bigger respect now
> >> that I'm at this side of a big conference for people like you and your
> >> colleagues who stand up, many times as volunteers, and make these

UX Design/ User Research

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: OpenSym 2018 | August 22-24, 2018 | Paris, France | General Call for Papers | Deadline March 15, 2018

Leila Zia
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:25 PM, Aaron Halfaker
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 to Leila's note about recording sessions.  It's not cheap, but it
> doesn't need to be so expensive.  Who is forcing us to use a professional
> service (and profession pricing) to record the sessions?

(IANAL)

Your choice of conference location (city) and venue can impose this
restriction to you. For example, in San Francisco, unless your
conference is organized on a U.S. federal land, you as the organizer
have to abide by union rules. This basically boils down to: you can't
have volunteer resources run the video equipment for you. You need a
professional crew. :) Another dimension of recording is that as
conference organizers, you're usually expected to provide content in a
way that is accessible to people. Video accessibility is something
that requires resources, too.

> Regarding the limited number of views, I imagine that whatever we do, there
> will be a powerlaw -- with very few videos getting most of the views.  So
> looking at the average view count is not a great metric of the success.  I
> think it would be great if we could instead set a goal of having at least
> one video go viral-ish from each iteration of the conference.  This would
> involve doing some outreach and making space public discussions where
> preferential attachment might take place.   E.g. you could do this by
> tweeting the link to every talk and encouraging tweeters to @reply the
> originating tweet with questions and thoughts.  That way, you'd take
> advantage of the social network of attendees.

Sure! Once you make a decision that videos is something you want to
have, it makes sense to spend some more resources to make sure they
are seen by those who can benefit from them.

Best,
Leila