Openness - "copyright policy"

Michael Peel-4

> From: Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Openness - "copyright policy"
> Date: 12 February 2012 12:48:23 GMT
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Policy
>
> Please read, contemplate, discuss and amend!
>
> Chris

Re: Openness - "copyright policy"

Harry Burt
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Policy
>
> Please read, contemplate, discuss and amend!
>
> Chris

I do wonder if there's a conflation here of publication and licensing.

For example, it is not clear to me whether publishing personal information under a restrictive licence is less bad than publishing it under an open one.

That is to say, I'm not sure that restrictive copyright is the right tool to use in each of the examples. Wouldn't it be better simply to not disclose the private information in the first place?

Harry (User:Jarry1250)

Re: Openness - "copyright policy"

Thomas Dalton
On 12 February 2012 17:34, Harry Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do wonder if there's a conflation here of publication and licensing.
>
> For example, it is not clear to me whether publishing personal information
> under a restrictive licence is less bad than publishing it under an open
> one.
>
> That is to say, I'm not sure that restrictive copyright is the right tool to
> use in each of the examples. Wouldn't it be better simply to not disclose
> the private information in the first place?

I've raised similar points on the talk page. Would you mind adding
your comments there? I think that's probably the better venue for this
discussion.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've raised similar points on the talk page. Would you mind adding
your comments there? I think that's probably the better venue for this
discussion.

Of course. Had the discussion page not been a redlink at the time, I probably would have put my comments there the first time round.

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)