Other Events

Lewis Cawte
Hi,

I'm not a member of Wikimedia UK (because I can never find the money
when I think about joining), but I've noticed a lot of the events are
university things or museum stuff, I was wondering, are there any other
types of events, for example, I know the Dutch/German chapters run or
host the occasional Hack-a-Thon or meetups at other coding related
events. Do we do anything other than the GLAM or whatever it is?

-- Lewis Cawte
14 year old Wikimedia, LAMP server owner and follower of MediaWiki
development.

Re: Other Events

Steve Virgin
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events

Hi Lewis

Answer is 'yes'

The next year's events are starting to be discussed now and input is warmly
welcome.

Attached link is a place to keep an eye on as it will show events as they
begin to happen. Do get involved if you can, it would be great to meet up
with you at one.

Best

Steve

Re: Other Events

Lewis Cawte
Hm, I think we should throw a hackathon, I've been watching the talks at
the one in Berlin so far, and its quite interesting. I'd show up and
would help with some things (not a member of WM-UK though), but its an
idea, anyway...

-- Lewis Cawte

On 27/04/11 18:04, steve virgin wrote:

> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events
>

> Hi Lewis
>
> Answer is 'yes'
>
> The next year's events are starting to be discussed now and input is warmly
> welcome.
>
> Attached link is a place to keep an eye on as it will show events as they
> begin to happen. Do get involved if you can, it would be great to meet up
> with you at one.
>
> Best
>
> Steve

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Michael Peel-4
A hackathon in the uk would be great. My main worry with it would be having enough developers turn up at it, though. There are a lot of German mediawiki developers, which means that the events in Berlin are always successful, but there are a lot fewer devs in the uk. So I suspect the main focus of at least the first hackathon would be introducing people to the code - which then needs a cadre of current developers to lead, teach and assist as they make their first commits.

I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.

Thanks,
Mike

On 14 May 2011, at 11:31, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hm, I think we should throw a hackathon, I've been watching the talks at
> the one in Berlin so far, and its quite interesting. I'd show up and
> would help with some things (not a member of WM-UK though), but its an
> idea, anyway...
>
> -- Lewis Cawte
>
> On 27/04/11 18:04, steve virgin wrote:
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events
>>

>> Hi Lewis
>>
>> Answer is 'yes'
>>
>> The next year's events are starting to be discussed now and input is warmly
>> welcome.
>>
>> Attached link is a place to keep an eye on as it will show events as they
>> begin to happen. Do get involved if you can, it would be great to meet up
>> with you at one.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Steve

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Lewis Cawte
I know of 1 developer in the UK, who is currently in Berlin, and I'd
hope to have commit by then. One thing I have noticed, is that a lot of
the developers there, are WMF staff/contractors from all over the place
that have flown in, so it'd be interesting to see what the deal is with
that... (I know Tim Starling, the release manager has probably flown in
from Australia). It'd also be chance for British Wikimedians to talk to
the developers, share some opinions face to face, and for people to do
talks on general WM-UK stuff if they wanted to...

-- Lewis Cawte

On 14/05/11 11:41, Mike Peel wrote:

> A hackathon in the uk would be great. My main worry with it would be having enough developers turn up at it, though. There are a lot of German mediawiki developers, which means that the events in Berlin are always successful, but there are a lot fewer devs in the uk. So I suspect the main focus of at least the first hackathon would be introducing people to the code - which then needs a cadre of current developers to lead, teach and assist as they make their first commits.
>
> I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 14 May 2011, at 11:31, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hm, I think we should throw a hackathon, I've been watching the talks at
>> the one in Berlin so far, and its quite interesting. I'd show up and
>> would help with some things (not a member of WM-UK though), but its an
>> idea, anyway...
>>
>> -- Lewis Cawte
>>
>> On 27/04/11 18:04, steve virgin wrote:
>>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events
>>>

>>> Hi Lewis
>>>
>>> Answer is 'yes'
>>>
>>> The next year's events are starting to be discussed now and input is warmly
>>> welcome.
>>>
>>> Attached link is a place to keep an eye on as it will show events as they
>>> begin to happen. Do get involved if you can, it would be great to meet up
>>> with you at one.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Harry Burt-2
This is something I'd like to attend. I run bots, have a Toolserver account and have submitted patches to the main MediaWiki codebase.

Only problem for me may be the timing (I have exams). But that can be sorted later.

Regards,
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know of 1 developer in the UK, who is currently in Berlin, and I'd
hope to have commit by then. One thing I have noticed, is that a lot of
the developers there, are WMF staff/contractors from all over the place
that have flown in, so it'd be interesting to see what the deal is with
that... (I know Tim Starling, the release manager has probably flown in
from Australia). It'd also be chance for British Wikimedians to talk to
the developers, share some opinions face to face, and for people to do
talks on general WM-UK stuff if they wanted to...

-- Lewis Cawte

On 14/05/11 11:41, Mike Peel wrote:
> A hackathon in the uk would be great. My main worry with it would be having enough developers turn up at it, though. There are a lot of German mediawiki developers, which means that the events in Berlin are always successful, but there are a lot fewer devs in the uk. So I suspect the main focus of at least the first hackathon would be introducing people to the code - which then needs a cadre of current developers to lead, teach and assist as they make their first commits.
>
> I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 14 May 2011, at 11:31, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hm, I think we should throw a hackathon, I've been watching the talks at
>> the one in Berlin so far, and its quite interesting. I'd show up and
>> would help with some things (not a member of WM-UK though), but its an
>> idea, anyway...
>>
>> -- Lewis Cawte
>>
>> On 27/04/11 18:04, steve virgin wrote:
>>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events
>>>

>>> Hi Lewis
>>>
>>> Answer is 'yes'
>>>
>>> The next year's events are starting to be discussed now and input is warmly
>>> welcome.
>>>
>>> Attached link is a place to keep an eye on as it will show events as they
>>> begin to happen. Do get involved if you can, it would be great to meet up
>>> with you at one.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Harry Burt
(resending this due to mailing list subscription quirks)

This is something I'd like to attend. I run bots, have a Toolserver account and have submitted patches to the main MediaWiki codebase.

Only problem for me may be the timing (I have exams). But that can be sorted later.

Regards,
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know of 1 developer in the UK, who is currently in Berlin, and I'd
hope to have commit by then. One thing I have noticed, is that a lot of
the developers there, are WMF staff/contractors from all over the place
that have flown in, so it'd be interesting to see what the deal is with
that... (I know Tim Starling, the release manager has probably flown in
from Australia). It'd also be chance for British Wikimedians to talk to
the developers, share some opinions face to face, and for people to do
talks on general WM-UK stuff if they wanted to...

-- Lewis Cawte

On 14/05/11 11:41, Mike Peel wrote:
> A hackathon in the uk would be great. My main worry with it would be having enough developers turn up at it, though. There are a lot of German mediawiki developers, which means that the events in Berlin are always successful, but there are a lot fewer devs in the uk. So I suspect the main focus of at least the first hackathon would be introducing people to the code - which then needs a cadre of current developers to lead, teach and assist as they make their first commits.
>
> I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 14 May 2011, at 11:31, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hm, I think we should throw a hackathon, I've been watching the talks at
>> the one in Berlin so far, and its quite interesting. I'd show up and
>> would help with some things (not a member of WM-UK though), but its an
>> idea, anyway...
>>
>> -- Lewis Cawte
>>
>> On 27/04/11 18:04, steve virgin wrote:
>>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events
>>>

>>> Hi Lewis
>>>
>>> Answer is 'yes'
>>>
>>> The next year's events are starting to be discussed now and input is warmly
>>> welcome.
>>>
>>> Attached link is a place to keep an eye on as it will show events as they
>>> begin to happen. Do get involved if you can, it would be great to meet up
>>> with you at one.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Other Events - hackathon

On 14 May 2011 11:51, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know of 1 developer in the UK, who is currently in Berlin, and I'd
> hope to have commit by then. One thing I have noticed, is that a lot of
> the developers there, are WMF staff/contractors from all over the place
> that have flown in, so it'd be interesting to see what the deal is with
> that...

I understand it's sponsored by WM-DE (something useful to spend the
money on). They also run the toolserver.

- d.

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Tom Morris-5
On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 12:41, Mike Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A hackathon in the uk would be great. My main worry with it would be having enough developers turn up at it, though. There are a lot of German mediawiki developers, which means that the events in Berlin are always successful, but there are a lot fewer devs in the uk. So I suspect the main focus of at least the first hackathon would be introducing people to the code - which then needs a cadre of current developers to lead, teach and assist as they make their first commits.
>
> I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.

I'm not a MediaWiki developer, but I have helped to organise three
BarCamp events. These are overnight events done for very little money
in partnership with a variety of companies or universities.

We run overnight events in central London with three hundred
developers and other interested people for a fraction of the cost of a
similar commercial event. How? Well, we organise them in kind of a
wiki way. Early BarCamps used to simply be people putting up "hey,
we've got this space for the weekend, we need food, wifi etc., stick
down on the wiki what you can provide".

I'd be very interested in having some kind of Wikimedia/free culture
hack day, perhaps at a university over a weekend. There are a variety
of sponsors we could approach to do this.

I wouldn't worry too much about the existing Wikimedia developers:
they have events to go to. But getting more people involved from
outside the Wiki[p|m]edia community is something we should do: there
are plenty of developers I know who have great good will towards
projects like Wikipedia and probably would be interested in getting
involved, building hacks and so on.

A hack day type event usually takes this form:

Saturday
09:00 - 10:00 Breakfast
10:00 - 10:30 Welcome / Intro
10:30 - 12:30 Intro sessions: ideas, technical stuff etc.
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch and START HACKING

Sunday
08:00 - 10:00 Breakfast
CONTINUE HACKING
13:00 Lunch, stop hacking
14:00 present things people have built, then give out prizes.

Who might be able to run such an event? At BarCamp, we've hosted them
at The Guardian (near Kings Cross), IBM (South Bank) and City
University (near Angel station). A number of hack days have been run
at The Guardian, and I helped run WarbleCamp there (a Twitter hack
day). We've also had events at eBay/PayPal (Richmond) and Google (near
Victoria station).

For Wikimedia UK/WMF, it could be seen as a form of developer
evangelism - see http://developer-evangelism.com/

It might draw more people into working on stuff for toolserver,
helping run bots, fixing long-standing issues (maybe some awesome
image recognition person will turn up and write bots to go tag stuff
on Commons), or maybe we'll just get cool ideas out of it. Either way,
people will probably go home from it with a better feeling about
Wikipedia, and next time they think "I should build a mashup", it may
be that they decide to hack on MediaWiki or Wikimedia API stuff rather
than Twitter or Facebook.

When I started writing this e-mail, I tweeted asking if anyone would
be interested in having a Wikimedia hack day in London. I've already
had two positive responses from BarCamp/hack day regulars and Kevin
Prince, one of the co-organisers of BarCamp London and a number of
hack days, has retweeted it.

If there is interest in doing this kind of thing, we could do it in a
very lightweight and cost-effective way by following the sort of model
used by BarCamps, hack days and HackCamps.

Yours,

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Gordon Joly
On 14/05/2011 11:41, Mike Peel wrote:
> I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.

I am not a developer, but I do get my hands dirty with Mediawiki
(extensions and now "widgets"). At present, I would to extend the
OpenSteetMap Widget for Mediawiki... and I would really like a chance to
hang out with develeoper, Developers, DEVELOPERS!!!! But I am not a
person who write large chunks of code...

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Rich Farmbrough
I'd appreciate such an event, there is more hacking than PHP hacking:

* javascript
* css
* templating
* bot coding
* regexen
* category hacking ?
* borging

On 17/05/2011 13:03, Gordon Joly wrote:

> On 14/05/2011 11:41, Mike Peel wrote:
>> I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.
>>
> I am not a developer, but I do get my hands dirty with Mediawiki
> (extensions and now "widgets"). At present, I would to extend the
> OpenSteetMap Widget for Mediawiki... and I would really like a chance to
> hang out with develeoper, Developers, DEVELOPERS!!!! But I am not a
> person who write large chunks of code...
>
> Gordo

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Chris Keating-2
I don't suppose any of the people expressing interest in this thread would be interested in taking a lead in organising something?

I can definitely see the Board agreeing to support something like this - financially and otherwise as required - but far easier to do if there is a volunteer who isn't on the Board who can scope it, find times, venues and so on.

Chris

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd appreciate such an event, there is more hacking than PHP hacking:

* javascript
* css
* templating
* bot coding
* regexen
* category hacking ?
* borging

On 17/05/2011 13:03, Gordon Joly wrote:
> On 14/05/2011 11:41, Mike Peel wrote:
>> I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.
>>
> I am not a developer, but I do get my hands dirty with Mediawiki
> (extensions and now "widgets"). At present, I would to extend the
> OpenSteetMap Widget for Mediawiki... and I would really like a chance to
> hang out with develeoper, Developers, DEVELOPERS!!!! But I am not a
> person who write large chunks of code...
>
> Gordo

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Thomas Morton
Are most of the people interested in this located in London? If not I could possibly look into organising a Hackathon somewhere in the East Midlands (fairly central...) - Nottingham perhaps.

Tom / ErrantX

On 17 May 2011 14:28, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't suppose any of the people expressing interest in this thread would be interested in taking a lead in organising something?

I can definitely see the Board agreeing to support something like this - financially and otherwise as required - but far easier to do if there is a volunteer who isn't on the Board who can scope it, find times, venues and so on.

Chris

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd appreciate such an event, there is more hacking than PHP hacking:

* javascript
* css
* templating
* bot coding
* regexen
* category hacking ?
* borging

On 17/05/2011 13:03, Gordon Joly wrote:
> On 14/05/2011 11:41, Mike Peel wrote:
>> I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.
>>
> I am not a developer, but I do get my hands dirty with Mediawiki
> (extensions and now "widgets"). At present, I would to extend the
> OpenSteetMap Widget for Mediawiki... and I would really like a chance to
> hang out with develeoper, Developers, DEVELOPERS!!!! But I am not a
> person who write large chunks of code...
>
> Gordo

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Lewis Cawte
I wouldn't be up to leading this, but I'd help with organisation of some kind...

On 17/05/11 14:28, Chris Keating wrote:
I don't suppose any of the people expressing interest in this thread would be interested in taking a lead in organising something?

I can definitely see the Board agreeing to support something like this - financially and otherwise as required - but far easier to do if there is a volunteer who isn't on the Board who can scope it, find times, venues and so on.

Chris

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd appreciate such an event, there is more hacking than PHP hacking:

* javascript
* css
* templating
* bot coding
* regexen
* category hacking ?
* borging

On 17/05/2011 13:03, Gordon Joly wrote:
> On 14/05/2011 11:41, Mike Peel wrote:
>> I'd love to hear thoughts from others about this - particularly from any devs on this list.
>>
> I am not a developer, but I do get my hands dirty with Mediawiki
> (extensions and now "widgets"). At present, I would to extend the
> OpenSteetMap Widget for Mediawiki... and I would really like a chance to
> hang out with develeoper, Developers, DEVELOPERS!!!! But I am not a
> person who write large chunks of code...
>
> Gordo

Re: Other Events - hackathon

Tom Morris-5
On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 14:28, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't suppose any of the people expressing interest in this thread would
> be interested in taking a lead in organising something?
> I can definitely see the Board agreeing to support something like this -
> financially and otherwise as required - but far easier to do if there is a
> volunteer who isn't on the Board who can scope it, find times, venues and so
> on.

I'm doing some behind-the-scenes scurrying and poking with a view to
perhaps running an event sometime later on in the year (Oct/Nov/Dec)
in London.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Please don't print this e-mail out unless you want a hard copy of it.
If you do, go ahead. I won't stop you.