Other mailing lists to summarise

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Other mailing lists to summarise

Pat Gunn-2
Hello,
As some of you may have noticed, I, along with a few
volunteers who showed up, now have LSS (List Summary Service)
going for foundation-l in English, French, and Spanish:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LSS

Earlier when I announced it, I said I'd like to wait to get
used to the workload before I took on any other lists. I'm
pretty comfortable with the pace at this point, and would
be willing to take on another list with roughly the same
volume -- if anyone can suggest another list important to
the community that's not too much bigger, I'll start on
it. If anyone has ideas on how to get more eyes on the
list summaries, feel free to put them into practice.

I can't speak for the volunteers willingness to take on
more translation, but I suspect that foundation-l is the
most important list, for community relations, to translate
anyhow (and that translated versions are actually more important
than the English edition because they improve trust between the
other-language communities and the English-dominated foundation
folk). The people who stepped up so far are, from the Spanish
Wikipedia, FAR and Cinabrium, and from the French Wikipedia,
(:Julien:) and Teofilo (with a few smaller edits from other folk).


---
Pat Gunn
mod: csna, bmcm, bmco, cooa, cona, clpd, coom
http://dachte.org
Ceaselessly the river flows, and yet the water is never the same,
while in the still pools the shifting foam gathers and is gone,
never staying for a moment.
        -- Hojoki (poem by 13th century Japanese monk)

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Other mailing lists to summarise

Delphine Ménard
Pat,

On 10/23/06, Pat Gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As some of you may have noticed, I, along with a few
> volunteers who showed up, now have LSS (List Summary Service)
> going for foundation-l in English, French, and Spanish:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LSS

[snip]

> I can't speak for the volunteers willingness to take on
> more translation, but I suspect that foundation-l is the
> most important list, for community relations, to translate
> anyhow (and that translated versions are actually more important
> than the English edition because they improve trust between the
> other-language communities and the English-dominated foundation
> folk). The people who stepped up so far are, from the Spanish
> Wikipedia, FAR and Cinabrium, and from the French Wikipedia,
> (:Julien:) and Teofilo (with a few smaller edits from other folk).
>

Just because I don't think I have said it before, I wanted to thank
you and all those who are taking part in this, it is a precious thing
you are doing here.

Cheers,

Delphine

--
~notafish
NB. This address is used for mailing lists. Personal emails sent to
this address will probably get lost.
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Other mailing lists to summarise

SJ-5
In reply to this post by Pat Gunn-2
My heroes.

I hope you tackle wikipedia-l next.  A bit more traffic, but worth it,
and also in spirit a multilingual list.  And you can perhaps gain
economies of scale from the longer average thread length.

SJ

On 10/23/06, Pat Gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> As some of you may have noticed, I, along with a few
> volunteers who showed up, now have LSS (List Summary Service)
> going for foundation-l in English, French, and Spanish:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LSS
>
> Earlier when I announced it, I said I'd like to wait to get
> used to the workload before I took on any other lists. I'm
> pretty comfortable with the pace at this point, and would
> be willing to take on another list with roughly the same
> volume -- if anyone can suggest another list important to
> the community that's not too much bigger, I'll start on
> it. If anyone has ideas on how to get more eyes on the
> list summaries, feel free to put them into practice.
>
> I can't speak for the volunteers willingness to take on
> more translation, but I suspect that foundation-l is the
> most important list, for community relations, to translate
> anyhow (and that translated versions are actually more important
> than the English edition because they improve trust between the
> other-language communities and the English-dominated foundation
> folk). The people who stepped up so far are, from the Spanish
> Wikipedia, FAR and Cinabrium, and from the French Wikipedia,
> (:Julien:) and Teofilo (with a few smaller edits from other folk).
>
>
> ---
> Pat Gunn
> mod: csna, bmcm, bmco, cooa, cona, clpd, coom
> http://dachte.org
> Ceaselessly the river flows, and yet the water is never the same,
> while in the still pools the shifting foam gathers and is gone,
> never staying for a moment.
>         -- Hojoki (poem by 13th century Japanese monk)
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>


--
++SJ
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Other mailing lists to summarise

KIZU Naoko
In reply to this post by Pat Gunn-2
On 10/24/06, Pat Gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't speak for the volunteers willingness to take on
> more translation, but I suspect that foundation-l is the
> most important list, for community relations, to translate
> anyhow (and that translated versions are actually more important
> than the English edition because they improve trust between the
> other-language communities and the English-dominated foundation
> folk).

Totally agreed. And full of my appreciation, I am not sure if I
expressed it explicitly.
Also I would like to praise translators who are working on summaries.

One questionl: would you like to list it on [[m:Traslation
requests#Requests from local projects]]? In my opinion, any community
efforts to enforce multilingualism are welcome there (hence this part
would have no need of overseeing, even if some coordination may be
welcome) and LSS translation is definitely one of such.
Click to submit your request ->
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Translation_requests/fromlocalreqs&action=edit

Or we are better to rename it as "requests from community"?

--
Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l