Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

Ellie Young
The Community Resources team at the WMF recently held a consultation  on articulating the value of Wikimedia movement conferences overall, the unique value of Wikimania, and what new form Wikimania could take to better serve the movement going forward.   We have completed analysis of these results and have prepared this report:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania/Outcomes

I will be working with the community, organizers, committees, and WMF in 2017 to begin set up and planning for an experimental model for Wikimedia movement conferences, including Wikimania, starting in 2018.

Feedback and comments are welcome at the discussion page

Thanks to all who participated!

Ellie

--
Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wmfall] Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

Brion Vibber-4

Was there a "don't mess with the process, but also don't hold it in tiny towns while telling staff not to go because there's no room for them"? option in the survey?

-- brion

On Feb 8, 2016 2:54 PM, "Ellie Young" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Community Resources team at the WMF recently held a consultation  on articulating the value of Wikimedia movement conferences overall, the unique value of Wikimania, and what new form Wikimania could take to better serve the movement going forward.   We have completed analysis of these results and have prepared this report:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania/Outcomes

I will be working with the community, organizers, committees, and WMF in 2017 to begin set up and planning for an experimental model for Wikimedia movement conferences, including Wikimania, starting in 2018.

Feedback and comments are welcome at the discussion page

Thanks to all who participated!

Ellie

--
Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation

_______________________________________________
Wmfall mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wmfall


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

James Forrester-2
In reply to this post by Ellie Young
On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 at 14:54 Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Community Resources team at the WMF recently held a consultation  on articulating the value of Wikimedia movement conferences overall, the unique value of Wikimania, and what new form Wikimania could take to better serve the movement going forward.   We have completed analysis of these results and have prepared this report:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania/Outcomes

I will be working with the community, organizers, committees, and WMF in 2017 to begin set up and planning for an experimental model for Wikimedia movement conferences, including Wikimania, starting in 2018.

Feedback and comments are welcome at the discussion page

Thanks to all who participated!

On behalf of the Wikimania Committee, I would like to thank everyone who took part and the Community Resources team for organising this discussion.

The Committee will consider these recommendations and will then come back with some changes to our processes.

Yours,

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

Gnangarra
On behalf of the Wikimania Committee, I would like to thank everyone who
took part and the Community Resources team for organising this discussion.

The Committee will consider these recommendations and will then come back
with some changes to our processes.

​Ellie started the discussion just 18 hours ago, and now your closing it  yet it hasnt even had time for the earth to make one complete rotation, if you seriously want opinions at least give it one 24 hour cycle better 7-14 of them as ideas and thoughts take time to be developed...

All you achieved is proving that Wikimania Committee  isnt interested in the community ​
 


On 10 February 2016 at 00:19, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 at 14:54 Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Community Resources team at the WMF recently held a consultation
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania>
> on articulating the value of Wikimedia movement conferences overall, the
> unique value of Wikimania, and what new form Wikimania could take to better
> serve the movement going forward.   We have completed analysis of these
> results and have prepared this report:
>
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania/Outcomes
>
> I will be working with the community, organizers, committees, and WMF in
> 2017 to begin set up and planning for an experimental model for Wikimedia
> movement conferences, including Wikimania, starting in 2018.
>
> Feedback and comments are welcome at the discussion page
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania/Outcomes>
> Thanks to all who participated!
>

On behalf of the Wikimania Committee, I would like to thank everyone who
took part and the Community Resources team for organising this discussion.

The Committee will consider these recommendations and will then come back
with some changes to our processes.

Yours,
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>



--
GN.
President Wikimedia Australia
WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

Fæ
The communications failure and lack of any public consultation before
throwing away the community driven bidding process, was a very good
moment to appoint a new Chair of the Wikimania Committee. The
suggestion at the time was ignored.[1] How can the community force
real changes, if the Committee is in apparent PR lock-down? From my
understanding of the history of this committee, it is long overdue to
appoint a Chair who is not reliant on keeping the WMF executive happy
for their salary.

By the way, 220 Wikimedians took part in the vote that asked for a WMF
trustee to be removed (admittedly, a vote that did not result in the
WMF board changing its mind in any way about their absolute confidence
in their appointment). We probably should expect that level of
participation before announcing that is a significant consensus to
make major changes to something as fundamental to the global community
of Wikimedians as Wikimania.

P.S. The Wikimania Committee appears to have failed to publish minutes
or draft notes of its deliberations since last summer, unless they
have published them somewhere other than Meta.[2] When the Wikimania
Committee looks more secretive than the WMF board of trustees, the
community should be questioning their commitment to openness and
transparency.

Links:
1. https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2015-October/079274.html
- "...starting a public process to ensure some new faces in the next
few months, including a change of the Chairman. This would show the
Committee recognizes this was a real serious failure which should see
proportionate changes of roles on the Committee. If everything stays
exactly the same for the next six months, then this would show the
Committee is more interested in protecting itself, than ensuring
that the unpaid volunteer and community consensus is central to the
way this process *should* be seen to work, and in line with the
original mandate for the Committee itself."
2. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Committee

Fae

On 9 February 2016 at 17:04, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>
>>
>> On behalf of the Wikimania Committee, I would like to thank everyone who
>
> took part and the Community Resources team for organising this discussion.
>
> The Committee will consider these recommendations and will then come back
>
>> with some changes to our processes.
>>
>
> Ellie started the discussion just 18 hours ago, and now your closing it
>  yet it hasnt even had time for the earth to make one complete rotation, if
> you seriously want opinions at least give it one 24 hour cycle better 7-14
> of them as ideas and thoughts take time to be developed...
>
> All you achieved is proving that Wikimania Committee  isnt interested in
> the community
>
>
>>
>>
>>
> On 10 February 2016 at 00:19, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 at 14:54 Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > The Community Resources team at the WMF recently held a consultation
>> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania>
>> > on articulating the value of Wikimedia movement conferences overall, the
>> > unique value of Wikimania, and what new form Wikimania could take to
>> better
>> > serve the movement going forward.   We have completed analysis of these
>> > results and have prepared this report:
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania/Outcomes
>> >
>> > I will be working with the community, organizers, committees, and WMF in
>> > 2017 to begin set up and planning for an experimental model for Wikimedia
>> > movement conferences, including Wikimania, starting in 2018.
>> >
>> > Feedback and comments are welcome at the discussion page
>> > <
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania/Outcomes
>> >
>> > Thanks to all who participated!
>> >
>>
>> On behalf of the Wikimania Committee, I would like to thank everyone who
>> took part and the Community Resources team for organising this discussion.
>>
>> The Committee will consider these recommendations and will then come back
>> with some changes to our processes.
>>
>> Yours,
> --
> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia
> WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
--
[hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

HJ Mitchell
I don't know if those kinds of aspersions are allowed on Wikimedia-l, but can we keep them off Wikimania-l please? The heat to light ratio of Wikimania-l is bad enough but we usually manage to avoid devolving into ad-hominems or getting too far off-topic and into broader issues with the WMF.

Phone: +44 (0) 7507 536971
Skype: harry_j_mitchell



From: Fæ <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
Cc: Wikimania general list (open subscription) <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 18:28
Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] [Wikimedia-l] Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

The communications failure and lack of any public consultation before
throwing away the community driven bidding process, was a very good
moment to appoint a new Chair of the Wikimania Committee. The
suggestion at the time was ignored.[1] How can the community force
real changes, if the Committee is in apparent PR lock-down? From my
understanding of the history of this committee, it is long overdue to
appoint a Chair who is not reliant on keeping the WMF executive happy
for their salary.

By the way, 220 Wikimedians took part in the vote that asked for a WMF
trustee to be removed (admittedly, a vote that did not result in the
WMF board changing its mind in any way about their absolute confidence
in their appointment). We probably should expect that level of
participation before announcing that is a significant consensus to
make major changes to something as fundamental to the global community
of Wikimedians as Wikimania.

P.S. The Wikimania Committee appears to have failed to publish minutes
or draft notes of its deliberations since last summer, unless they
have published them somewhere other than Meta.[2] When the Wikimania
Committee looks more secretive than the WMF board of trustees, the
community should be questioning their commitment to openness and
transparency.

Links:
1. https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2015-October/079274.html
- "...starting a public process to ensure some new faces in the next
few months, including a change of the Chairman. This would show the
Committee recognizes this was a real serious failure which should see
proportionate changes of roles on the Committee. If everything stays
exactly the same for the next six months, then this would show the
Committee is more interested in protecting itself, than ensuring
that the unpaid volunteer and community consensus is central to the
way this process *should* be seen to work, and in line with the
original mandate for the Committee itself."
2. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Committee

Fae

On 9 February 2016 at 17:04, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>
>>
>> On behalf of the Wikimania Committee, I would like to thank everyone who
>
> took part and the Community Resources team for organising this discussion.
>
> The Committee will consider these recommendations and will then come back
>
>> with some changes to our processes.
>>
>
> Ellie started the discussion just 18 hours ago, and now your closing it
>  yet it hasnt even had time for the earth to make one complete rotation, if
> you seriously want opinions at least give it one 24 hour cycle better 7-14
> of them as ideas and thoughts take time to be developed...
>
> All you achieved is proving that Wikimania Committee  isnt interested in
> the community
>
>
>>
>>
>>
> On 10 February 2016 at 00:19, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 at 14:54 Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > The Community Resources team at the WMF recently held a consultation
>> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania>
>> > on articulating the value of Wikimedia movement conferences overall, the
>> > unique value of Wikimania, and what new form Wikimania could take to
>> better
>> > serve the movement going forward.  We have completed analysis of these
>> > results and have prepared this report:
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania/Outcomes
>> >
>> > I will be working with the community, organizers, committees, and WMF in
>> > 2017 to begin set up and planning for an experimental model for Wikimedia
>> > movement conferences, including Wikimania, starting in 2018.
>> >
>> > Feedback and comments are welcome at the discussion page
>> > <
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IdeaLab/Towards_a_New_Wikimania/Outcomes
>> >
>> > Thanks to all who participated!
>> >
>>
>> On behalf of the Wikimania Committee, I would like to thank everyone who
>> took part and the Community Resources team for organising this discussion.
>>
>> The Committee will consider these recommendations and will then come back
>> with some changes to our processes.
>>
>> Yours,
> --
> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia
> WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
--
[hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

Chris Keating-2
In reply to this post by Fæ


> The communications failure and lack of any public consultation before
> throwing away the community driven bidding process, was a very good
> moment to appoint a new Chair of the Wikimania Committee. The
> suggestion at the time was ignored.[1] How can the community force
> real changes, if the Committee is in apparent PR lock-down? From my
> understanding of the history of this committee, it is long overdue to
> appoint a Chair who is not reliant on keeping the WMF executive happy
> for their salary.

Hi Fae,

I did wonder how long how much time would elapse from Arnnon Geshuri's departure  before you demanded someone else resigned from something.

Perhaps for "transparency" you could publish a list of all the occasions you have demanded people in the Wikimedia movement resign from things? By my count we are already on 4 in 2016 alone, which is quite good going for period of 6 weeks :)

Chris


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

Wilfredor
Hi Fae,

Maybe hiding vital information from the community is consistent with the best practices in the industry[1] and what they call "Transparency" is just another way say that is not profitable for the WMF to hold Wikimania in remote, non-commercial centers. Or maybe they are just too used to stay in 5 star hotels while the community stays in dorms and just don't care anymore.



2016-02-09 20:29 GMT-02:00 Chris Keating <[hidden email]>:


> The communications failure and lack of any public consultation before
> throwing away the community driven bidding process, was a very good
> moment to appoint a new Chair of the Wikimania Committee. The
> suggestion at the time was ignored.[1] How can the community force
> real changes, if the Committee is in apparent PR lock-down? From my
> understanding of the history of this committee, it is long overdue to
> appoint a Chair who is not reliant on keeping the WMF executive happy
> for their salary.

Hi Fae,

I did wonder how long how much time would elapse from Arnnon Geshuri's departure  before you demanded someone else resigned from something.

Perhaps for "transparency" you could publish a list of all the occasions you have demanded people in the Wikimedia movement resign from things? By my count we are already on 4 in 2016 alone, which is quite good going for period of 6 weeks :)

Chris


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wmfall] Outcomes from the Consultation on Wikimedia movement conferences/Wikimania

ZOKIDIN .
In reply to this post by Brion Vibber-4

Please! Globally delete profile for ZOKIDIN

  • due to global vandalism Никита-Родин-2002, my account locked English wikipedia. Help please global Arbitration Committee. It's not me. Global Vandalism The list below badboy user Nikita.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l