Overcoming the Brittleness Bottleneck using Wikipedia: Enhancing Text Categorization with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Overcoming the Brittleness Bottleneck using Wikipedia: Enhancing Text Categorization with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Evgeniy Gabrilovich
Dear colleagues,

Following the suggestion of Jimmy Wales, we would like to announce a new paper
that uses Wikipedia as a very large-scale repository of world knowledge
for information retrieval tasks. To date, Wikipedia was mostly used by human
users
(readers), and we hope our research opens a promising new direction of
automatically
using the knowledge from Wikipedia for tasks that normally require human-level
intelligence. In our ongoing research, we plan to explore using Wikipedia for
additional text processing tasks, such as Web search and word sense
disambiguation.

Evgeniy Gabrilovich and Shaul Markovitch (2006).
''Overcoming the Brittleness Bottleneck using Wikipedia:
  Enhancing Text Categorization with Encyclopedic Knowledge''.
Proceedings of the 21st National Conference on Artificial Intelligence
(AAAI-06), pp. 1301-1306.
http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~gabr/papers/wiki-aaai06.pdf

Kind regards,

Evgeniy.

--
Evgeniy Gabrilovich
Ph.D. student in Computer Science

Re: Overcoming the Brittleness Bottleneck using Wikipedia: Enhancing Text Categorization with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Oldak
On 20/07/06, Evgeniy Gabrilovich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Following the suggestion of Jimmy Wales, we would like to announce a new paper
> that uses Wikipedia as a very large-scale repository of world knowledge
> for information retrieval tasks. To date, Wikipedia was mostly used by human
> users
> (readers), and we hope our research opens a promising new direction of
> automatically
> using the knowledge from Wikipedia for tasks that normally require human-level
> intelligence. In our ongoing research, we plan to explore using Wikipedia for
> additional text processing tasks, such as Web search and word sense
> disambiguation.
>
> Evgeniy Gabrilovich and Shaul Markovitch (2006).
> ''Overcoming the Brittleness Bottleneck using Wikipedia:
>   Enhancing Text Categorization with Encyclopedic Knowledge''.
> Proceedings of the 21st National Conference on Artificial Intelligence
> (AAAI-06), pp. 1301-1306.
> http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~gabr/papers/wiki-aaai06.pdf
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Evgeniy.

I seem to be always advertising these people on these mailing lists,
but have you heard of "Semantic MediaWiki"? They are developing a
version of MediaWiki with rich semantic features. If this were applied
to Wikipedia it would open out the use of Wikipedia in ways that you
suggest.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])