Oxford Wikimania

Tom Holden

I have heard back from the director of the Oxford Internet Institute today and he seemed very positive about the idea, particularly if they could host a parallel more academic conference. (There’s got to be an economy of scale since many speaker’s would be appropriate for both.)

The OII have fairly limited facilities so may not be of that great a financial benefit to us on their own. The importance of their interest though is in the still close ties they maintain with Balliol college (Jimmy’s talk for example was introduced by the master of Balliol at his recent talk) who may be able to properly help us out on accommodation and in the help their endorsement would provide in securing central university facilities. The master of Balliol expressed initial interest and said he would get back to me in the new year.

What do people think to this possibility? We’ve had several failed London bids in a row, if this came together would people be behind an Oxford one?

Tom

Re: Oxford Wikimania

Cormac Lawler
That's great Tom, thanks! The main things that we would need to know
about any bid is whether there is a suitable venue (ie with a variety
of big/small lecture theatres, collective spaces, organising rooms,
etc). We would then need to see what the accommodation situation would
be - is it close by, or would it require something like shuttle-buses,
and how many people would be accommodated (and in what kinds of
groupings - single rooms/dorms..)? Would catering be available
adjacent to the conference space? And finally, what would all of this
cost? :-) (See * below for more.)

I wouldn't say we need to restrain ourselves in terms of a single bid
at this stage, or even by what has failed in the past. If this bid can
be worked up with sufficient detail, we should submit it - if there's
an option in London, we can submit both, or decide which one looks
most viable and run with that one. But we would need more details
first...

Thanks again,
Cormac

* More details at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009/Official_requirements_for_bidding_cities

On 12/19/07, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have heard back from the director of the Oxford Internet Institute today
> and he seemed very positive about the idea, particularly if they could host
> a parallel more academic conference. (There's got to be an economy of scale
> since many speaker's would be appropriate for both.)
>

> The OII have fairly limited facilities so may not be of that great a
> financial benefit to us on their own. The importance of their interest
> though is in the still close ties they maintain with Balliol college
> (Jimmy's talk for example was introduced by the master of Balliol at his
> recent talk) who may be able to properly help us out on accommodation and in
> the help their endorsement would provide in securing central university
> facilities. The master of Balliol expressed initial interest and said he
> would get back to me in the new year.
>

> What do people think to this possibility? We've had several failed London
> bids in a row, if this came together would people be behind an Oxford one?
>

> Tom

Re: Oxford Wikimania

Tom Holden
There's a small lecture theatre at the OII (around 40 people), a medium one
at Balliol next door (currently around 100 due to rows of tables, could
probably double this if they were taken out, health and safety regs
permitting) and assorted large to gigantic university lecture halls in
walking distance (no more than 15 mins). Other Balliol spaces we could use
include the hall (larger than the lecture theatre, but not ideally suited to
lectures due to benches and tables), assorted seminar rooms, the JCR (large
and informal space with sofas and coffee tables) and we could potentially
also have a marquee in the garden.

There are some details on the Balliol site here:
http://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/conference/index.asp

And some details about one of the largest central lecture theatres here:
http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/schools/conference/

There's also a centralised conference info site here:
http://www.conference-oxford.com/
(though given Balliol's close links to the OII I'd say our best bet for
discounted rates is sticking with then rather than another college.)

If we can arrange a deal with Balliol (we won't know until the New Year)
then most accommodation would be next door to the OII, right in the centre
of Oxford, with perhaps some 10 mins walk away in another set of Balliol
buildings. These are all single rooms, some of which are en suite. There's
also a dining hall in Balliol which would potentially provide catering.

There are some costs quoted on those sites for external conferences, but
potentially with the OII stamp we could reduce these rates. They are quoting
£500 a day for the large lecture rooms in Examination Schools (seating
around 500) and Balliol are quoting £315 a day for the Balliol lecture room
mentioned previously. Balliol are quoting a 24 hour delegate rate of £125 a
day, but this includes rather a lot of surplus luxury. For students
accommodation is under £100 a week and food is around £3 a meal. With
support from the college we could hope to get something closer to this.

Do we have any provisional dates btw?

Tom

That's great Tom, thanks! The main things that we would need to know
about any bid is whether there is a suitable venue (ie with a variety
of big/small lecture theatres, collective spaces, organising rooms,
etc). We would then need to see what the accommodation situation would
be - is it close by, or would it require something like shuttle-buses,
and how many people would be accommodated (and in what kinds of
groupings - single rooms/dorms..)? Would catering be available
adjacent to the conference space? And finally, what would all of this
cost? :-) (See * below for more.)

I wouldn't say we need to restrain ourselves in terms of a single bid
at this stage, or even by what has failed in the past. If this bid can
be worked up with sufficient detail, we should submit it - if there's
an option in London, we can submit both, or decide which one looks
most viable and run with that one. But we would need more details
first...

Thanks again,
Cormac

* More details at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009/Official_requirements_for_bidd
ing_cities

On 12/19/07, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have heard back from the director of the Oxford Internet Institute today
> and he seemed very positive about the idea, particularly if they could
host
> a parallel more academic conference. (There's got to be an economy of
scale
> since many speaker's would be appropriate for both.)
>

> The OII have fairly limited facilities so may not be of that great a
> financial benefit to us on their own. The importance of their interest
> though is in the still close ties they maintain with Balliol college
> (Jimmy's talk for example was introduced by the master of Balliol at his
> recent talk) who may be able to properly help us out on accommodation and
in

> the help their endorsement would provide in securing central university
> facilities. The master of Balliol expressed initial interest and said he
> would get back to me in the new year.
>

> What do people think to this possibility? We've had several failed London
> bids in a row, if this came together would people be behind an Oxford one?
>

> Tom

Re: Oxford Wikimania

Red Rocket
On 19/12/2007, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:

Do we have any provisional dates btw?

I think any time around July/August. The date for it is normally flexible and organised on a year by year basis.

--RRB

Re: Oxford Wikimania

Gary Kirk
See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009/UK
I randomly decided Friday 7th to Sunday 9th August but this can be changed if anyone has better ideas.
I know the graphic says London but that's only cos of the Big Ben photo. Feel free to make your own, anyone, though that's low priority :)

> [...]

scale
> since many speaker's would be appropriate for both.)
>

> The OII have fairly limited facilities so may not be of that great a
> financial benefit to us on their own. The importance of their interest
> though is in the still close ties they maintain with Balliol college
> (Jimmy's talk for example was introduced by the master of Balliol at his
> recent talk) who may be able to properly help us out on accommodation and
in

> the help their endorsement would provide in securing central university
> facilities. The master of Balliol expressed initial interest and said he
> would get back to me in the new year.
>

> What do people think to this possibility? We've had several failed London
> bids in a row, if this came together would people be behind an Oxford one?

Gary Kirk

Re: Oxford Wikimania

Gordon Joly
At 16:30 +0000 19/12/07, Tom Holden wrote:
>There's a small lecture theatre at the OII (around 40 people), a medium one
>at Balliol next door (currently around 100 due to rows of tables, could
>probably double this if they were taken out, health and safety regs
>permitting) and assorted large to gigantic university lecture halls in
>walking distance (no more than 15 mins).....

Sounds like a plan. I looked back at the basic requirements in terms
of scale, to remind myself. Here are three:-

# Dates should be from the beginning of July to mid August and should
include a weekend.

# The maximum number of participants should be 500 people, the minimum 300.

# The venue must provide accommodation within walking distance of the
conference grounds, preferably with lots of hanging out spaces where
Wikimaniacs can get together informally.

Found at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009/Official_requirements_for_bidding_cities

It is very hard to find venues that have the right amount of lecture
space and break out space and allow everybody (who wishes) to stay in
a room where they can walk to every session.

Oxford sounds ideal.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Oxford Wikimania

Cormac Lawler
On 12/19/07, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's a small lecture theatre at the OII (around 40 people), a medium one
> at Balliol next door (currently around 100 due to rows of tables, could
> probably double this if they were taken out, health and safety regs
> permitting) and assorted large to gigantic university lecture halls in
> walking distance (no more than 15 mins). Other Balliol spaces we could use
> include the hall (larger than the lecture theatre, but not ideally suited to
> lectures due to benches and tables), assorted seminar rooms, the JCR (large
> and informal space with sofas and coffee tables) and we could potentially
> also have a marquee in the garden.

Hi Tom, in terms of the lecture space you've outlined, there doesn't
seem to be a large enough lecture theatre which would be used for
closing plenaries/opening sessions. We would need somewhere that holds
*all conference participants at one time* - in other words, if we are
going to have 500 participants, we need a lecture theatre that holds
500. Is there anything in Balliol or nearby that would hold such
numbers?

Cormac

Re: Oxford Wikimania

Tom Holden
The university "examination schools" (10 mins walk) I linked to in my last
email "comfortably" hold 450 (and there are two such halls in the building).
I have fired off an email asking if this is a health and safety limit, as
I'm sure you could fit seating for 500 in them.

There's also the Sheldonian Theatre (even closer to Balliol) which holds
1000, though is not particularly comfortable. (I've sent off an email asking
for their day rates.)

Finally there are two large theatres not associated with the university,
both very close to Balliol, the "Oxford Playhouse" (cap. 630) and the "New
Theatre" (cap. 1800). I've sent an email to the former.

Tom

On 12/19/07, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's a small lecture theatre at the OII (around 40 people), a medium
one
> at Balliol next door (currently around 100 due to rows of tables, could
> probably double this if they were taken out, health and safety regs
> permitting) and assorted large to gigantic university lecture halls in
> walking distance (no more than 15 mins). Other Balliol spaces we could use
> include the hall (larger than the lecture theatre, but not ideally suited
> lectures due to benches and tables), assorted seminar rooms, the JCR
(large
> and informal space with sofas and coffee tables) and we could potentially
> also have a marquee in the garden.

Hi Tom, in terms of the lecture space you've outlined, there doesn't
seem to be a large enough lecture theatre which would be used for
closing plenaries/opening sessions. We would need somewhere that holds
*all conference participants at one time* - in other words, if we are
going to have 500 participants, we need a lecture theatre that holds
500. Is there anything in Balliol or nearby that would hold such
numbers?

Cormac

Re: Oxford Wikimania

Tom Holden
The Oxford Playhouse (cap. 630) is £1900 per day plus VAT. Since this is
independent even with the OII stamp we wouldn't be able to negotiate this
down.

Seems rather a lot compared to the university facilities. (Exam schools are
around £500 a day and with the OIIs stamp possibly less.)

How much have past Wikimania's spent on auditorium hire?

Tom

On 12/19/07, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's a small lecture theatre at the OII (around 40 people), a medium
one
> at Balliol next door (currently around 100 due to rows of tables, could
> probably double this if they were taken out, health and safety regs
> permitting) and assorted large to gigantic university lecture halls in
> walking distance (no more than 15 mins). Other Balliol spaces we could use
> include the hall (larger than the lecture theatre, but not ideally suited
> lectures due to benches and tables), assorted seminar rooms, the JCR
(large
> and informal space with sofas and coffee tables) and we could potentially
> also have a marquee in the garden.

Hi Tom, in terms of the lecture space you've outlined, there doesn't
seem to be a large enough lecture theatre which would be used for
closing plenaries/opening sessions. We would need somewhere that holds
*all conference participants at one time* - in other words, if we are
going to have 500 participants, we need a lecture theatre that holds
500. Is there anything in Balliol or nearby that would hold such
numbers?

Cormac

Re: Oxford Wikimania

Andrew Gray
On 22/12/2007, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The university "examination schools" (10 mins walk) I linked to in my last
> email "comfortably" hold 450 (and there are two such halls in the building).
> I have fired off an email asking if this is a health and safety limit, as
> I'm sure you could fit seating for 500 in them.
>
> There's also the Sheldonian Theatre (even closer to Balliol) which holds
> 1000, though is not particularly comfortable. (I've sent off an email asking
> for their day rates.)
>
> Finally there are two large theatres not associated with the university,
> both very close to Balliol, the "Oxford Playhouse" (cap. 630) and the "New
> Theatre" (cap. 1800). I've sent an email to the former.

There's the OFS down George Street as well. I'm not sure theatres are
likely to be an efficient way to go, though.

--
- Andrew Gray