OxygenGuide (Wikivoyage offline): Android app seeking new maintainer

OxygenGuide (Wikivoyage offline): Android app seeking new maintainer

Sumana Harihareswara-2
(I'd love a forward to offline-l and mobile-l.)

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:Travellers%27_pub#OxygenGuide_.28offline_Wikivoyage.29_updated.21

http://code.google.com/p/oxygenguide

"OxygenGuide is Wikivoyage in the form of simple HTML files. No images.
Must-have on your smartphone or travel laptop. Whole world in 90MB.

I created an Android app but haven't much time to maintain/improve it, I
am looking for a new maintainer, anyone interested? It can be a fun
project for someone who is starting to learn Android development, so
don't hesitate :-)

Some help would also be welcome to enhance the algorithm which
transforms Wikivoyage wikicode into simple HTML."

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Re: OxygenGuide (Wikivoyage offline): Android app seeking new maintainer

Emmanuel Engelhart-5
Le 21/08/2013 22:15, Sumana Harihareswara a écrit :

> (I'd love a forward to offline-l and mobile-l.)
>
> https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:Travellers%27_pub#OxygenGuide_.28offline_Wikivoyage.29_updated.21
>
> http://code.google.com/p/oxygenguide
>
> "OxygenGuide is Wikivoyage in the form of simple HTML files. No images.
> Must-have on your smartphone or travel laptop. Whole world in 90MB.
>
> I created an Android app but haven't much time to maintain/improve it, I
> am looking for a new maintainer, anyone interested? It can be a fun
> project for someone who is starting to learn Android development, so
> don't hesitate :-)
>
> Some help would also be welcome to enhance the algorithm which
> transforms Wikivoyage wikicode into simple HTML."

This is a really a nice job, in particular if we consider that they have
parsed the wikicode on their own...

However, this solution seems to be a little bit deprecated in most use
cases, now that we have Kiwix for Android:
* ZIM file of Wikivoyage EN (with images)
http://download.kiwix.org/zim/wikivoyage_en_all.zim.torrent
* Kiwix for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kiwix.kiwixmobile
* For curious people, here is an online demo of this ZIM file:
http://library.kiwix.org/wikivoyage_en_all/

Regards
Emmanuel

--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org

Re: OxygenGuide (Wikivoyage offline): Android app seeking new maintainer

Arthur Richards-2
+mobile-l

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> (I'd love a forward to offline-l and mobile-l.)
>

> https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:Travellers%27_pub#OxygenGuide_.28offline_Wikivoyage.29_updated.21
>
> http://code.google.com/p/oxygenguide
>
> "OxygenGuide is Wikivoyage in the form of simple HTML files. No images.
> Must-have on your smartphone or travel laptop. Whole world in 90MB.
>
> I created an Android app but haven't much time to maintain/improve it, I
> am looking for a new maintainer, anyone interested? It can be a fun
> project for someone who is starting to learn Android development, so
> don't hesitate :-)
>
> Some help would also be welcome to enhance the algorithm which
> transforms Wikivoyage wikicode into simple HTML."
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation