PF 3.4.1 - Can I keep 'enter' from submitting the form?

PF 3.4.1 - Can I keep 'enter' from submitting the form?

lbillett
I've a case where it would be very helpful if when the enter key is pressed the form was NOT submitted. Is there a way to adjust this behavior?

Thanks!

lpab

Re: PF 3.4.1 - Can I keep 'enter' from submitting the form?

Yaron Koren
Hi,

This doesn't happen for all browsers, I think, and it certainly doesn't
happen for all input types. Which input type(s) are you talking about here?
I'm guessing "tokens" and/or "combobox".

-Yaron

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:55 PM, lbillett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've a case where it would be very helpful if when the enter key is pressed
> the form was NOT submitted. Is there a way to adjust this behavior?
>
> Thanks!
>
> lpab

Re: PF 3.4.1 - Can I keep 'enter' from submitting the form?

lbillett
Yaron Koren wrote
Hi,

This doesn't happen for all browsers, I think, and it certainly doesn't
happen for all input types. Which input type(s) are you talking about here?
I'm guessing "tokens" and/or "combobox".

-Yaron

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:55 PM, lbillett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've a case where it would be very helpful if when the enter key is pressed
> the form was NOT submitted. Is there a way to adjust this behavior?
>
> Thanks!
>
> lpab
On getting to experiment, it seems only input type=text seems to do this. Datepicker, tokens, dropdowns, textarea (naturally), checkboxes etc. don't exhibit this behavior. Seems consistent in Chrome 59 and IE 11. We've lots of users that stand to have improved understanding of just how to use a web browser in general (tab to advance field, searching in-page, opening new tabs... just logging in is a not a trivial endeavor).

It's only an inconvenience, but is perceived as an annoyance in what is otherwise the best operator input system we have. I've occasionally found myself quickly hitting enter while not meaning to, causing a form submission. Thing is, I enjoy the benefit of understanding the problem is ME.

lpab

Re: PF 3.4.1 - Can I keep 'enter' from submitting the form?

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

Oh, okay. My instinct is not to change this behavior... hitting "Enter" in
a text input is a standard way of submitting a web form - it's what the
HTML developers intended (or browser developers, actually - I don't know
whether this is part of the HTML specifications). To modify this behavior
would, I think, cause more confusion, because I'm guessing that most Page
Forms users are used to that behavior. But I'm open to persuasion - maybe
there are a lot of other wiki users who have had that same problem, and I
just never heard about it.

-Yaron