PHP 5

Tim Starling
The dual opterons in the Wikimedia cluster have now been upgraded to from
PHP 4.4.0 to 5.1.1. Presumably the rest of the cluster will follow soon,
although there doesn't seem to be any problem with running a mixed cluster
aside from the administrative overhead.

-- Tim Starling

Re: PHP 5

Phil Boswell
"Tim Starling"
<[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:dq8dj1$e9d$[hidden email]...
> The dual opterons in the Wikimedia cluster have now been upgraded to from
> PHP 4.4.0 to 5.1.1. Presumably the rest of the cluster will follow soon,
> although there doesn't seem to be any problem with running a mixed cluster
> aside from the administrative overhead.

Does this presage a massive rewrite of Mediawiki, or is the intended policy
to remain backwards-compatble with PHP 4? If the latter, for how long?
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

Re: Re: PHP 5

Brion Vibber
Phil Boswell wrote:

> "Tim Starling"
> <[hidden email]> wrote in
> message news:dq8dj1$e9d$[hidden email]...
>> The dual opterons in the Wikimedia cluster have now been upgraded to from
>> PHP 4.4.0 to 5.1.1. Presumably the rest of the cluster will follow soon,
>> although there doesn't seem to be any problem with running a mixed cluster
>> aside from the administrative overhead.
>
> Does this presage a massive rewrite of Mediawiki, or is the intended policy
> to remain backwards-compatble with PHP 4? If the latter, for how long?
No massive rewrite right away, but we will probably break PHP 4 compatibility
here and there pretty soon.

1.6 probably will require PHP 5. The next major version definitely will.

Fixing error handling to use exceptions is something I'd dearly love to see, but
the first incompatible changes will probably mostly be things like letting
object references work 'naturally' rather than hacking in reference parameters
in so many places.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)