PHP 7 is now a beta feature

Giuseppe Lavagetto
Hi all,

as some of you might know, HHVM has decided some time ago to drop support
for PHP, choosing to only support Hack (Facebook's own PHP-derivative
language)[1].

This forced us to consider alternatives. In particular the last major
upgrade to PHP, PHP 7, was supposed to have greatly improved the
performance of the runtime, guaranteeing performance on par with HHVM.

Given that early tests[2] showed promising performance, we decided to work
on PHP7 support and on its rollout in production.

I'm happy to announce that PHP 7 is now available as a beta feature on all
wikis, and I encourage everyone to try it out and report bugs using the
#php7.2-support tag.

After this period of beta testing, we will proceed with a progressive
rollout to a growing percentage of users, and hopefully we'll complete the
transition in the next four months.

A huge thank you to all the people who worked hard to reach this goal!

Thanks,

Giuseppe
[1] https://hhvm.com/blog/2017/09/18/the-future-of-hhvm.html
[2]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2017-September/088854.html
--
Giuseppe Lavagetto
Principal Site Reliability Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: PHP 7 is now a beta feature

Mohd Yuhairi tzm

--
Sent from Hotmail Email App for Android Monday, 28 January 2019, 10:31pm +08:00 from Giuseppe Lavagetto  [hidden email] :

>Hi all,
>
>as some of you might know, HHVM has decided some time ago to drop support
>for PHP, choosing to only support Hack (Facebook's own PHP-derivative
>language)[1].
>
>This forced us to consider alternatives. In particular the last major
>upgrade to PHP, PHP 7, was supposed to have greatly improved the
>performance of the runtime, guaranteeing performance on par with HHVM.
>
>Given that early tests[2] showed promising performance, we decided to work
>on PHP7 support and on its rollout in production.
>
>I'm happy to announce that PHP 7 is now available as a beta feature on all
>wikis, and I encourage everyone to try it out and report bugs using the
>#php7.2-support tag.
>
>After this period of beta testing, we will proceed with a progressive
>rollout to a growing percentage of users, and hopefully we'll complete the
>transition in the next four months.
>
>A huge thank you to all the people who worked hard to reach this goal!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Giuseppe
>[1]  https://hhvm.com/blog/2017/09/18/the-future-of-hhvm.html
>[2]
>https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2017-September/088854.html
>--
>Giuseppe Lavagetto
>Principal Site Reliability Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: PHP 7 is now a beta feature

Victoria Coleman
This is fantastic news Giuseppe! A terrific milestone representing tons of work by many people! Kudos to all involved!

Best regards,

Victoria

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 6:31 AM, Giuseppe Lavagetto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> as some of you might know, HHVM has decided some time ago to drop support
> for PHP, choosing to only support Hack (Facebook's own PHP-derivative
> language)[1].
>
> This forced us to consider alternatives. In particular the last major
> upgrade to PHP, PHP 7, was supposed to have greatly improved the
> performance of the runtime, guaranteeing performance on par with HHVM.
>
> Given that early tests[2] showed promising performance, we decided to work
> on PHP7 support and on its rollout in production.
>
> I'm happy to announce that PHP 7 is now available as a beta feature on all
> wikis, and I encourage everyone to try it out and report bugs using the
> #php7.2-support tag.
>
> After this period of beta testing, we will proceed with a progressive
> rollout to a growing percentage of users, and hopefully we'll complete the
> transition in the next four months.
>
> A huge thank you to all the people who worked hard to reach this goal!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Giuseppe
> [1] https://hhvm.com/blog/2017/09/18/the-future-of-hhvm.html
> [2]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2017-September/088854.html
> --
> Giuseppe Lavagetto
> Principal Site Reliability Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: PHP 7 is now a beta feature

Mohd Yuhairi tzm

--
Sent from Hotmail Email App for Android Monday, 28 January 2019, 11:37pm +08:00 from Victoria Coleman  [hidden email] :

>This is fantastic news Giuseppe! A terrific milestone representing tons of work by many people! Kudos to all involved!
>
>Best regards,
>
>Victoria
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 28, 2019, at 6:31 AM, Giuseppe Lavagetto < [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> as some of you might know, HHVM has decided some time ago to drop support
> for PHP, choosing to only support Hack (Facebook's own PHP-derivative
> language)[1].
>
> This forced us to consider alternatives. In particular the last major
> upgrade to PHP, PHP 7, was supposed to have greatly improved the
> performance of the runtime, guaranteeing performance on par with HHVM.
>
> Given that early tests[2] showed promising performance, we decided to work
> on PHP7 support and on its rollout in production.
>
> I'm happy to announce that PHP 7 is now available as a beta feature on all
> wikis, and I encourage everyone to try it out and report bugs using the
> #php7.2-support tag.
>
> After this period of beta testing, we will proceed with a progressive
> rollout to a growing percentage of users, and hopefully we'll complete the
> transition in the next four months.
>
> A huge thank you to all the people who worked hard to reach this goal!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Giuseppe
> [1]  https://hhvm.com/blog/2017/09/18/the-future-of-hhvm.html
> [2]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2017-September/088854.html
> --
> Giuseppe Lavagetto
> Principal Site Reliability Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: PHP 7 is now a beta feature

Dan Garry (Deskana)
Cool! Thanks for developing this beta feature, it makes it easy to test.

Is there anything in particular that you might expect to behave
differently, or break, that you'd like us to test? Are you just looking for
more general feedback?

Thanks!

Dan

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 at 14:31, Giuseppe Lavagetto <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as some of you might know, HHVM has decided some time ago to drop support
> for PHP, choosing to only support Hack (Facebook's own PHP-derivative
> language)[1].
>
> This forced us to consider alternatives. In particular the last major
> upgrade to PHP, PHP 7, was supposed to have greatly improved the
> performance of the runtime, guaranteeing performance on par with HHVM.
>
> Given that early tests[2] showed promising performance, we decided to work
> on PHP7 support and on its rollout in production.
>
> I'm happy to announce that PHP 7 is now available as a beta feature on all
> wikis, and I encourage everyone to try it out and report bugs using the
> #php7.2-support tag.
>
> After this period of beta testing, we will proceed with a progressive
> rollout to a growing percentage of users, and hopefully we'll complete the
> transition in the next four months.
>
> A huge thank you to all the people who worked hard to reach this goal!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Giuseppe
> [1] https://hhvm.com/blog/2017/09/18/the-future-of-hhvm.html
> [2]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2017-September/088854.html
> --
> Giuseppe Lavagetto
> Principal Site Reliability Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: PHP 7 is now a beta feature

Jaime Crespo
Dan and others,

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 9:14 AM Dan Garry (Deskana) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool! Thanks for developing this beta feature, it makes it easy to test.
>
> Is there anything in particular that you might expect to behave
> differently, or break, that you'd like us to test? Are you just looking for
> more general feedback?

I am an outsider to the process, but maybe I can give some examples.
In theory "everything should work" -in reality these are some of the
issues:

* Configuration and the environment may not be 100% equal -lots of
backend changes-, leading to different results e.g.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T214660>
* Edge cases may be fixed automagically, or break with the new setup
e.g. <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T214984>
* Performance may be different, while I've been told in general things
are looking faster, there could be also regressions
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T176370#4789096>
* Continuous integration and testing may need double checking and
fixing <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T211470>
* ...

In general they are the same issues that would arise from migrating
from a major upgrade (e.g. PHP 5 to PHP 7). Your bug reports and the
kind comments here, and on places such as
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Usx7uerq380mzwq3 I believe are
highly motivational for the many teams involved, thanks! Also many
thanks for all the people, developers, testers and people in
infrastructure for making this possible!