PHP error stats

Brion Vibber
Log extracts from Jan 11 04:04:30 through Jan 11 20:07:52; excluding zwinger and
larousse where various batch operations and things run.

1116 total errors logged:

Fatal errors:
996 'Allowed memory size of 52428800 bytes exhausted'
 17 'Maximum execution time of 180 seconds exceeded' [1]
  2 'Call to a member function on a non-object' [2]
  1 'Call to undefined function:  memsess_key()' [3]

Warnings:
 34 'gzinflate(): buffer error' [4]
 20 'rename(<path>,<path>): Not a directory' [5]
 16 'preg_match() expects parameter 2 to be string, array given' [6]
 12 'Cannot modify header information' [7]
 10 various mysql_* connection errors
  5 'unlink(<path>): Is a directory' [8]
  1 'unlink(<path>): No such file or directory'
  1 'filemtime(): Stat failed for <path> (errno=2 - No such file or directory)'
  1 'mkdir(<path>): File exists'

[1] Almost all are in the diff code; one in Parser::replaceInternalLinks.
[2] Title.php on line 1749
[3] User.php on line 1661
[4] Revision.php on line 456; could indicate damaged compressed entries in text
storage
[5] Image.php on line 978 (renderThumb)
[6] Exif.php on line 476
[7] in StreamFile.php various places, output from warnings in Image.php
[8] Image.php on line 981 (renderThumb)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: PHP error stats

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason

> Log extracts from Jan 11 04:04:30 through Jan 11 20:07:52; excluding zwinger and
> larousse where various batch operations and things run.
>
> 1116 total errors logged:
>
> Fatal errors:
> 996 'Allowed memory size of 52428800 bytes exhausted'
>  17 'Maximum execution time of 180 seconds exceeded' [1]
>   2 'Call to a member function on a non-object' [2]
>   1 'Call to undefined function:  memsess_key()' [3]
>
> Warnings:
>  34 'gzinflate(): buffer error' [4]
>  20 'rename(<path>,<path>): Not a directory' [5]
>  16 'preg_match() expects parameter 2 to be string, array given' [6]
>  12 'Cannot modify header information' [7]
>  10 various mysql_* connection errors
>   5 'unlink(<path>): Is a directory' [8]
>   1 'unlink(<path>): No such file or directory'
>   1 'filemtime(): Stat failed for <path> (errno=2 - No such file or directory)'
>   1 'mkdir(<path>): File exists'
>

> [1] Almost all are in the diff code; one in Parser::replaceInternalLinks.
> [2] Title.php on line 1749
> [3] User.php on line 1661
> [4] Revision.php on line 456; could indicate damaged compressed entries in text
> storage
> [5] Image.php on line 978 (renderThumb)
> [6] Exif.php on line 476
> [7] in StreamFile.php various places, output from warnings in Image.php
> [8] Image.php on line 981 (renderThumb)
Are we also logging the request info when this happens and where are
the logs stored?

In particular I'm interested in this for #6 which is in some code I
wrote. It happens because exif_read_data() can return all sorts of
funky stuff (apperently it's giving some key => array values insteaed
of key => scalar there) and this isn't really documented, I debugged
most of it when the Exif feature initially went live by making a
custom log for it and studying the php module's source code but
obviously I missed something, and to reproduce it properly I'd need
the image name that was being parsed which I could get from the
request info.

Great stats b.t.w., hope this'll be regularly updated.

Re: PHP error stats

Brion Vibber
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> Are we also logging the request info when this happens

Alas, that's not included. It might be possible to hack PHP to dump REQUEST_URI
into the error messages or something...

> and where are the logs stored?

It goes into zwinger's syslog (/var/log/messages). If someone wants to fiddle
with the syslog setup, we could probably split them out to another file.

> In particular I'm interested in this for #6 which is in some code I
> wrote. It happens because exif_read_data() can return all sorts of
> funky stuff (apperently it's giving some key => array values insteaed
> of key => scalar there) and this isn't really documented, I debugged
> most of it when the Exif feature initially went live by making a
> custom log for it and studying the php module's source code but
> obviously I missed something, and to reproduce it properly I'd need
> the image name that was being parsed which I could get from the
> request info.

Yeah that'd be nice huh. :)

You could do a batch check over all images, should turn them up...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: PHP error stats

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> > In particular I'm interested in this for #6 which is in some code I
> > wrote. It happens because exif_read_data() can return all sorts of
> > funky stuff (apperently it's giving some key => array values insteaed
> > of key => scalar there) and this isn't really documented, I debugged
> > most of it when the Exif feature initially went live by making a
> > custom log for it and studying the php module's source code but
> > obviously I missed something, and to reproduce it properly I'd need
> > the image name that was being parsed which I could get from the
> > request info.
>
> Yeah that'd be nice huh. :)
>
> You could do a batch check over all images, should turn them up...
Oh the joy of sheer brute force;)