PLoS Comp Biol article on getting stuff into Wikipedia

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PLoS Comp Biol article on getting stuff into Wikipedia

David Gerard-2
http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3adoi/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002446

How's this effort look from the Wikipedia end?


- d.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PLoS Comp Biol article on getting stuff into Wikipedia

Daniel Mietchen
Hi David,

not sure what you are looking for, so here is a bit of an overview of
how it went so far, as a basis for digging deeper.

Initially, the journal inquired with WikiProject Computational Biology
and WikiProject Molecular and Cellular Biology, offering "to help
establish new Wikipedia pages in the field of computational biology
that are not currently covered, either at all, or exist only as a
stub."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-09-26/News_and_notes#Academic_journals_consider_partnering_with_Wikipedia

After quite positive feedback, the journal contacted potential
authors, the first article was written (on a CC BY-licensed wiki,
http://topicpages.ploscompbiol.org/ ) and reviewed both the classical
journal way and by the WikiProjects named above (cf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Computational_Biology&oldid=485777954#PLoS_Computational_Biology_to_Contribute_Wikipedia_pages.3F
), then it went into production at the journal, and when it came out
there, the existing stub article on the English Wikipedia was expanded
by pasting in the wiki version of the journal article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Circular_permutation_in_proteins&action=historysubmit&diff=484610239&oldid=475902965
.

The article has since developed the normal wiki way (cf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Circular_permutation_in_proteins&action=historysubmit&diff=484610239&oldid=475902965
), and it remains linked to and from the static journal version (
http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002445 ) that is indexed in
PubMed and other scholarly databases.

Work on future Topic Pages has begun - e.g. at
http://topicpages.ploscompbiol.org/wiki/Viral_phylodynamics .

The process is not cast in stone, and suggestions on how to iron out
some potential rough edges are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Daniel

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3adoi/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002446
>
> How's this effort look from the Wikipedia end?
>
>
> - d.
>
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PLoS Comp Biol article on getting stuff into Wikipedia

Charles Matthews
On 10 April 2012 14:33, Daniel Mietchen <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> The process is not cast in stone, and suggestions on how to iron out
> some potential rough edges are more than welcome.

It's a useful survey, clearly. The big diff pasting in the new version
does offer (edit summary) some way of tracking what went on, which is
welcome, though not really for the purists. The one striking thing is
the lede, which is a bit "impatient" for the general reader. Comparing
with the old lede, the meaning has shifted somewhat, also. It could do
with some division of sentences, use of "in other words", that sort of
thing.

Charles

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PLoS Comp Biol article on getting stuff into Wikipedia

Carcharoth
On 4/11/12, Charles Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 April 2012 14:33, Daniel Mietchen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> The process is not cast in stone, and suggestions on how to iron out
>> some potential rough edges are more than welcome.
>
> It's a useful survey, clearly. The big diff pasting in the new version
> does offer (edit summary) some way of tracking what went on, which is
> welcome, though not really for the purists. The one striking thing is
> the lede, which is a bit "impatient" for the general reader. Comparing
> with the old lede, the meaning has shifted somewhat, also. It could do
> with some division of sentences, use of "in other words", that sort of
> thing.

The review process here is interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Circular_permutation_in_proteins#Open_Peer_Review

I'd be particularly interested in seeing that sort of review process
compared to the Good Article and Featured Article review processes,
and may drop a note off at both of those processes at some point
(unless someone else does so first). What I'm thinking in particular
is that some FACs would benefit from what is essentially an *external*
peer review process (as opposed to the internal peer review and other
review processes). i.e. Actively soliciting reviews from those holding
credentials (academic or otherwise) in the topic area. Historically,
given the "anyone an edit" and (mostly) pseudonymous nature of
editing, there hasn't been much interest in this model of reviewing,
but I'd be interested to see reactions to this.

Carcharoth

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l