PNG with alpha channel

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PNG with alpha channel

Ruud Koot
How should PNG images with an alpha channel be handled? I've created
some nice images, but now IE6 users are complaining that they have a
black background. If I convert them to GIF/PNG-8 images they have an
ugly edge, which doesn't seem fair to Firefox/Opera/IE7 users. Is there
a better solution, such as MediaWiki automatically converting images for
IE6 users?


Cheers,

Ruud
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNG with alpha channel

Gregory Maxwell
On 2/25/06, Rudy Koot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How should PNG images with an alpha channel be handled? I've created
> some nice images, but now IE6 users are complaining that they have a
> black background. If I convert them to GIF/PNG-8 images they have an
> ugly edge, which doesn't seem fair to Firefox/Opera/IE7 users. Is there
> a better solution, such as MediaWiki automatically converting images for
> IE6 users?

The best compromise is to create a proper alpha PNG but use a set
background color more appropriate than black (i.e. on Wikipedia,
probably white). IE6 users will still see a jagged transition, but it
won't stand out enough for them to complain.

Also, links to Firefox, Opera, etc cost you nothing to distribute. :)
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNG with alpha channel

Minh Nguyen-2
Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On 2/25/06, Rudy Koot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How should PNG images with an alpha channel be handled? I've created
>> some nice images, but now IE6 users are complaining that they have a
>> black background. If I convert them to GIF/PNG-8 images they have an
>> ugly edge, which doesn't seem fair to Firefox/Opera/IE7 users. Is there
>> a better solution, such as MediaWiki automatically converting images for
>> IE6 users?
>
> The best compromise is to create a proper alpha PNG but use a set
> background color more appropriate than black (i.e. on Wikipedia,
> probably white). IE6 users will still see a jagged transition, but it
> won't stand out enough for them to complain.
>
> Also, links to Firefox, Opera, etc cost you nothing to distribute. :)

It'd be nice if this code
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Monobook.js#IE_alpha_transparency>
were added to <http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/common/IEFixes.js>, but
at least you can point them to the code and have them add it to their
personal stylesheets.

--
Minh Nguyen <[hidden email]>
AIM: trycom2000; Jabber: [hidden email]; Blog: http://mxn.f2o.org/

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNG with alpha channel

Ruud Koot
In reply to this post by Gregory Maxwell
Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> The best compromise is to create a proper alpha PNG but use a set
> background color more appropriate than black (i.e. on Wikipedia,
> probably white). IE6 users will still see a jagged transition, but it
> won't stand out enough for them to complain.

I've tried to do this but really have no clue as how to do it? Any
assistance would be appreciated.


Cheers,

Ruud
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNG with alpha channel

Ruud Koot
In reply to this post by Minh Nguyen-2
Minh Nguyen wrote:

> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
>>On 2/25/06, Rudy Koot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>How should PNG images with an alpha channel be handled? I've created
>>>some nice images, but now IE6 users are complaining that they have a
>>>black background. If I convert them to GIF/PNG-8 images they have an
>>>ugly edge, which doesn't seem fair to Firefox/Opera/IE7 users. Is there
>>>a better solution, such as MediaWiki automatically converting images for
>>>IE6 users?
>>
>>The best compromise is to create a proper alpha PNG but use a set
>>background color more appropriate than black (i.e. on Wikipedia,
>>probably white). IE6 users will still see a jagged transition, but it
>>won't stand out enough for them to complain.
>>
>>Also, links to Firefox, Opera, etc cost you nothing to distribute. :)
>
>
> It'd be nice if this code
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Monobook.js#IE_alpha_transparency>
> were added to <http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/common/IEFixes.js>, but
> at least you can point them to the code and have them add it to their
> personal stylesheets.
>

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNG with alpha channel

Ruud Koot
In reply to this post by Minh Nguyen-2
Minh Nguyen wrote:

> It'd be nice if this code
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Monobook.js#IE_alpha_transparency>
> were added to <http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/common/IEFixes.js>, but
> at least you can point them to the code and have them add it to their
> personal stylesheets.
>

It appears to be there, but wuth in the if-statement

    if (isMSIE55 && !doneIEAlphaFix)

so it probably is only enabled for IE5.5 not IE6.


Cheers,

Ruud
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNG with alpha channel

Gregory Maxwell
In reply to this post by Ruud Koot
On 2/26/06, Rudy Koot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > The best compromise is to create a proper alpha PNG but use a set
> > background color more appropriate than black (i.e. on Wikipedia,
> > probably white). IE6 users will still see a jagged transition, but it
> > won't stand out enough for them to complain.
>
> I've tried to do this but really have no clue as how to do it? Any
> assistance would be appreciated.

I don't know what software you're using, but this is trivial in gimp.

Create/open your transparent png. Set your gimp background color to
the desired background color. Save the png, make sure that 'save
background color' is checked and ''save color values from transparent
pixels" is unchecked.
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNG with alpha channel

Ruud Koot
Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> I don't know what software you're using, but this is trivial in gimp.
>
> Create/open your transparent png. Set your gimp background color to
> the desired background color. Save the png, make sure that 'save
> background color' is checked and ''save color values from transparent
> pixels" is unchecked.

I tried fiddling with those checkboxes but that the currently selected
background color would have any effect didn't occur to me. Thanks

Ruud
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l