Page Forms - creating a page using a form, the edit with form does not show

Page Forms - creating a page using a form, the edit with form does not show

Phil Legault-2
I have notice that when creating a page using the form edit with form does not immediately appear, I will have to use the runJobs and then it appears

I use this in my templates

{{#default_form:Form}}

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Phil

Re: Page Forms - creating a page using a form, the edit with form does not show

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Phil,

I don't think it's related to runJobs - my guess is that it's just
MediaWiki page caching. If you go to "action=purge" for any such page (if
you're an admin and you have SMW or Cargo installed, you will also a tab
action that does the same thing), that may be enough to get the "Edit with
form" tab to appear.

-Yaron

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:33 AM, Phil Legault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have notice that when creating a page using the form edit with form does
> not immediately appear, I will have to use the runJobs and then it appears
>
> I use this in my templates
>
> {{#default_form:Form}}
>

> Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Phil

Re: Page Forms - creating a page using a form, the edit with form does not show

mbenard
Hi

I see the same behaviour as Philippe :

1) create a new page with a form
2) save it
3) You cannot see the "edit with form"on the freshly created page   , but
you can see the "edit" link, even when I'm logged as a non-syop user andI
have

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['viewedittab']=false;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['viewedittab']=true;
in LocalSettings.php

(clicking on "edit" enables to edit the page)

4) add  action=purge to the url does nothing, "edit with form" does not
show up
5)call runJobs, refresh the page and then "edit with form" shows up

Note that pages which had been already created with the form show the
"edit with form link"

Versions
- MW 1.27.3
- Page Forms 4.1.1
- SMW 2.5.1

Salutations,

Michel Bénard
Urbaniste

De :    Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>
A :     Phil Legault <[hidden email]>
Cc :    semediawiki-user <[hidden email]>
Date :  24/03/2017 14:30
Objet : Re: [Semediawiki-user] Page Forms - creating a page using a form,
the edit with form does not show

Hi Phil,

I don't think it's related to runJobs - my guess is that it's just
MediaWiki page caching. If you go to "action=purge" for any such page (if
you're an admin and you have SMW or Cargo installed, you will also a tab
action that does the same thing), that may be enough to get the "Edit with
form" tab to appear.

-Yaron

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:33 AM, Phil Legault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have notice that when creating a page using the form edit with form
does
> not immediately appear, I will have to use the runJobs and then it
appears

> I use this in my templates
>
> {{#default_form:Form}}
>

> Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Phil

----------------------------- Disclaimer ------------------------------
--- Ce message ainsi que les éventuelles pièces jointes constituent une
correspondance privée et confidentielle à l'attention exclusive du
destinataire désigné ci-dessus. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire du
présent message ou une personne susceptible de pouvoir le lui délivrer,
il vous est signifié que toute divulgation, distribution ou copie,
totale ou partielle, sur un quelconque support de cette transmission
est strictement interdite. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur,
nous vous remercions d'en informer l'expéditeur par téléphone ou de lui
retourner le présent message, puis d'effacer immédiatement ce message
de votre systeme. Tout message électronique est susceptible
d'altération. Le "groupement des Mousquetaires" décline toute
responsabilité au titre de ce message s'il a été altéré, déformé ou
falsifié.---
--- This e-mail and any attachments is a confidential correspondence
intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If you
are not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering
the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, distribution or copying, either whole or partial, in any
medium of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication by mistake, please notify the sender by
phone or by replying this message, and then delete this message from
your system. E-mails are susceptible of alteration. The
"Mousquetaires' group" shall not therefore be liable for the message
if altered, changed or falsified.---

Page Forms bug ?- creating a page using a form, the edit with form does not show up

mbenard
 Hi

according to Robert Voger, this may be due to a recent change in Page Forms

https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/issues/2468#issuecomment-302777427

quote:

"
This is probably an issue of PageForms, not of SemanticMediaWiki itself. You may want to file the bug there, if you did not already.

I think the problem originates from this commit: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/212726/1/includes/page/WikiPage.php

"LinksUpdate" is now run deferred. So the "categorylinks" table is not being updated directly when the page is saved. PageForms relies on the information in "categorylinks" table in order to show the "Edit with form" tab.
A simple fix would be to write a little callback for "ArticleSaveComplete" hook and run the "LinksUpdate" job manually.

"

 Salutations,

 Michel Bénard

De :    Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>
A :     Phil Legault <[hidden email]>
Cc :    semediawiki-user <[hidden email]>
Date :  24/03/2017 14:30
the edit with form does not show

Hi Phil,

I don't think it's related to runJobs - my guess is that it's just
MediaWiki page caching. If you go to "action=purge" for any such page (if
you're an admin and you have SMW or Cargo installed, you will also a tab
action that does the same thing), that may be enough to get the "Edit with
form" tab to appear.

-Yaron

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:33 AM, Phil Legault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have notice that when creating a page using the form edit with form
does
> not immediately appear, I will have to use the runJobs and then it
appears

> I use this in my templates
>
> {{#default_form:Form}}
>

> Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Phil

----------------------------- Disclaimer ------------------------------
--- Ce message ainsi que les éventuelles pièces jointes constituent une
correspondance privée et confidentielle à l'attention exclusive du
destinataire désigné ci-dessus. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire du
présent message ou une personne susceptible de pouvoir le lui délivrer,
il vous est signifié que toute divulgation, distribution ou copie,
totale ou partielle, sur un quelconque support de cette transmission
est strictement interdite. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur,
nous vous remercions d'en informer l'expéditeur par téléphone ou de lui
retourner le présent message, puis d'effacer immédiatement ce message
de votre systeme. Tout message électronique est susceptible
d'altération. Le "groupement des Mousquetaires" décline toute
responsabilité au titre de ce message s'il a été altéré, déformé ou
falsifié.---
--- This e-mail and any attachments is a confidential correspondence
intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If you
are not the intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering
the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, distribution or copying, either whole or partial, in any
medium of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication by mistake, please notify the sender by
phone or by replying this message, and then delete this message from
your system. E-mails are susceptible of alteration. The
"Mousquetaires' group" shall not therefore be liable for the message
if altered, changed or falsified.---

Re: Page Forms bug ?- creating a page using a form, the edit with form does not show up

Yaron Koren
Hi,

Yes, this is not related to SMW. And it's not due to a change in Page
Forms, it's due to a change in MediaWiki itself, two years ago (which you
linked to). That suggested "fix" (to the extent that this should be
considered a bug) is interesting - I'll have to look into that.

-Yaron

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 3:11 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi
>
> according to Robert Voger, this may be due to a recent change in Page Forms
>
> https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/issues/2468#
> issuecomment-302777427
>
> quote:
>
> "
> This is probably an issue of PageForms, not of SemanticMediaWiki itself.
> You may want to file the bug there, if you did not already.
>
> I think the problem originates from this commit:
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/212726/1/includes/page/WikiPage.php
>
> "LinksUpdate" is now run deferred. So the "categorylinks" table is not
> being updated directly when the page is saved. PageForms relies on the
> information in "categorylinks" table in order to show the "Edit with form"
> tab.
> A simple fix would be to write a little callback for "ArticleSaveComplete"
> hook and run the "LinksUpdate" job manually.
>
> "
>

>  Salutations,
>
>  Michel Bénard

I thought about this a little more. Robert Vogel's suggested fix would
probably work, but it seems like a major hack - basically running all the
updates twice just so that things get updated faster.

It seems to me that the best solution to this is to modify core MediaWiki.
The code was changed, in 2015, to have all the links and category
information be set via jobs, instead of right at that moment, in order to
reduce the amount of time it takes to make an edit (if I understand it
correctly). That makes sense on Wikipedia, where performance is critical
(and jobs are run quickly), but it seems less necessary on smaller wikis.
So I think it would make sense to add a new global variable that can be set
in order to restore the old behavior.

Barring that, I would think that the best course of action for a wiki like
yours, where jobs are turned off, is to put the #default_form call in the
template, instead of in the category page - so that it gets called
separately for every page that the template is on. There are definitely
wikis that do this, for various reasons.

-Yaron

--
w · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: Page Forms bug ?- creating a page using a form, the edit with form does not show up

mbenard
 Hi

> put the #default_form call in the template, instead of in the category page - so that it gets called separately for every page that the template is on. There are definitely wikis that do this, for various reasons.

I tried that, but after saving a page, I sill have "edit" instead of "edit with link" until  the next runJobs is run. (I'm not sure if you meant doing this should have solved the problem).

For the time being I changed the cron task calling runJobs so that it runs more frequently (with a lesser upperbound limit)

Cheers

 Michel Bénard
 Urbaniste

Re: Page Forms bug ?- creating a page using a form, the edit with form does not show up

Stephan Gambke-3
runJobs.php has a switch --wait, that makes it wait for new jobs instead of exiting. So I have a cronjob that every 15min kills runJobs.php if it is still running and restarts it with this switch. Why killing it? Because I have the impression that sometimes it gets very slow after some time (memory leak?). This will also take care of cases where it stopped because of an error: At least it will get restarted after a few minutes.

Cheers
Stephan

> put the #default_form call in the template, instead of in the category page - so that it gets called separately for every page that the template is on. There are definitely wikis that do this, for various reasons.

I tried that, but after saving a page, I sill have "edit" instead of "edit with link" until the next runJobs is run. (I'm not sure if you meant doing this should have solved the problem).

For the time being I changed the cron task calling runJobs so that it runs more frequently (with a lesser upperbound limit)

Cheers

Michel Bénard
Urbaniste

Re: Page Forms bug ?- creating a page using a form, the edit with form does not show up

Martin Brunner
Yaron Koren schrieb:
> The code was changed, in 2015, to have all the links and category
> information be set via jobs, instead of right at that moment

Ah. That's the reason. Good to know.
We had issues with the form button too since the last update to 1.27.x (from
1.22 I think).

> Barring that, I would think that the best course of action for a wiki like
> yours, where jobs are turned off, is to put the #default_form call

In our case this did not help. We do not use the same form for every page. As
far as I understand the "edit with form" button will figure out from the
attributes which form needs to be displayed.
Unfortunately after creating a new page it still will need a reload to get the
form button. We now added a button for the form that is used in most cases
permanently, but this is a workaround I'd like to avoid for several reasons.

Martin