Page Schema extension does not recognize Page Schema XML as Schema

Page Schema extension does not recognize Page Schema XML as Schema

rkevans
Hello,

Page Schema creation tool works great in Category page but does not recognize it's own XML as an existing Schema.

Specifically, I used the Page Schema tools in a Category page to create a very simple page schema and hit save.
Page Schema produced the expected XML but still has the "create schema" link in the page menu.

When I force the "generatepages" action from the URL it responds with:

Generate pages
Error: There is no page schema defined for this category.

MediaWiki 1.28.2
PHP 7.0.19-1 (apache2handler)
MariaDB 10.1.23-MariaDB-9+deb9u1
Semantic MediaWiki 2.5.2
Page Forms 4.1.2 (f28e07b) 16:54, 20 June 2017
Page Schemas 0.4.6 (1579c73) 10:12, 7 June 2017

any advice on how to troubleshoot this?

-Rich

Re: Page Schema extension does not recognize Page Schema XML as Schema

rkevans
[solved - I think] ... careful inspection of the parser hook documentation in "Special:Version" says that the hook <pageschema> is defined... careful inspection of the actual XML produced by the Schema helper tool shows XML encapsulated by the tag <PageSchema>

So.. I manually edited the XML produced by the Page Schema helper tool and replaced the <PageSchema> (and </PageSchema> ) tags with <pageschema> and </pageschema> .. refreshed the cache (action=purge), refreshed the browser cache (Ctrl-F5) and then (interestingly) the Edit Schema/Generate Pages were available in the menu bar... success!

any thoughts on why this worked? Is this a bug? if so.. in what extension?

P.S. I tried *just* purging the cache and refreshing the browser to no avail.. for some reason it really needs the lower-case <pageschema> tags to be recognized.. i tried reverting back to

Re: Page Schema extension does not recognize Page Schema XML as Schema

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Rich,

I'm very glad you were able to figure this out, because I had no idea what
the issue could be.

I still have no idea why "<PageSchema>" is failing while "<pageschema>" is
succeeding. Or rather, I guess it's half-failing: it correctly displays the
schema on the template page, but it doesn't save the schema information to
the database (specifically, the page_props table). It may be due to your
MediaWiki version (1.28.2, you said), though I can't imagine how.

Actually, I'm surprised both that "PageSchema" fails, and that "pageschema"
succeeds. It makes me think that perhaps it was just the page re-save that
did it, and not the XML rename. But I don't know if that's true.

-Yaron

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 1:39 PM, rkevans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [solved - I think] ... careful inspection of the parser hook documentation
> in
> "Special:Version" says that the hook <pageschema> is defined... careful
> inspection of the actual XML produced by the Schema helper tool shows XML
> encapsulated by the tag <PageSchema>
>
> So.. I manually edited the XML produced by the Page Schema helper tool and
> replaced the <PageSchema> (and </PageSchema> ) tags with <pageschema> and
> </pageschema> .. refreshed the cache (action=purge), refreshed the browser
> cache (Ctrl-F5) and then (interestingly) the Edit Schema/Generate Pages
> were
> available in the menu bar... success!
>
> any thoughts on why this worked? Is this a bug? if so.. in what extension?
>
> P.S. I tried *just* purging the cache and refreshing the browser to no
> avail.. for some reason it really needs the lower-case <pageschema> tags to
> be recognized.. i tried reverting back to

Re: Page Schema extension does not recognize Page Schema XML as Schema

rkevans
Thanks Yaron. I see what you mean about the trick being to make any edit rather than the specific edit I mentioned of changing the case on the PageSchema tag. Assuming that it really is just any actual change edit that solved the issue, what could be the problem? what can I do to get the system to recognize the created schema without having to force and edit cycle?

Thanks!
-Rich