Page creation (by template) extension.

Elliott F. Cable
I wanted to create an extension that presents users with a form to
create a page, or add to a page, based on a template. For instance,
let's say i had a template that looked like this:

---- Wikipage: 'Template:Exampletemp' ----
{{{precontent}}}
=={{{title}}}==
{{{content}}}
---- End ----

I want to write an extension where users go to [[Special:Form/
Exampletemp]] and get a form like this:

Page name: _________
Precontent: <textarea>
Title: ______
Content: <textarea>

That, when filled out, should create a page following the template -
same as using {{subst:Exampletemp}} would have, but easier for the
end user - and smart, creating the form from the template's content.
Does anybody think they could create something like this? How hard
would it be? What concessions would have to be made, ETC? Would make
lots of things easier for the end-users - both newbies looking to
create a page following a template, and for existing users trying to
make sure a crop of pages follow an agreed-upon format.

Re: Page creation (by template) extension.

Hans Hoogers - Scramble
Hi,

Check http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Inputbox and use the "preload"
parameter.

You might like to have a look at
http://www.scramble.nl/wiki/index.php?title=Help:Create_Templated_Article
for some examples of how I implemented that.

Regards,

Hans

Elliott F. Cable said the following on 30-5-2006 10:03:

>I wanted to create an extension that presents users with a form to
>create a page, or add to a page, based on a template. For instance,
>let's say i had a template that looked like this:
>
>---- Wikipage: 'Template:Exampletemp' ----
>{{{precontent}}}
>=={{{title}}}==
>{{{content}}}
>---- End ----
>
>I want to write an extension where users go to [[Special:Form/
>Exampletemp]] and get a form like this:
>
>Page name: _________
>Precontent: <textarea>
>Title: ______
>Content: <textarea>
>
>That, when filled out, should create a page following the template -
>same as using {{subst:Exampletemp}} would have, but easier for the
>end user - and smart, creating the form from the template's content.
>Does anybody think they could create something like this? How hard
>would it be? What concessions would have to be made, ETC? Would make
>lots of things easier for the end-users - both newbies looking to
>create a page following a template, and for existing users trying to
>make sure a crop of pages follow an agreed-upon format.

Re: Page creation (by template) extension.

Elliott F. Cable
Yes, that's what I've been using - but it would be cool to make a
simple familiar HTML form they could fill out, for the end-user makes
more sense... I think anyway