Page for newbie/projects?

Andrew Lih
Hi devs/techs,

Is there a wiki page that acts as a first stop or landing page for computer
science students who might be interested in working on coding projects with
Wikipedia/Wikimedia projects?

We have a page on Wikipedia greeting students/instructors who want to do
class projects related to *writing* articles, but do we have a similar
thing for CS instructors and students who might want to do an assignment or
class project with Mediawiki, APIs, or with database dumps?

If anyone could point me to the best of what we have now, that’d be great.
This would be a way to find “shovel ready” challenges for students to work
on, or contribute to projects in progress.

Thanks.

-Andrew

Re: Page for newbie/projects?

Amir E. Aharoni
The usual suggestions is
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> Hi devs/techs,
>
> Is there a wiki page that acts as a first stop or landing page for computer
> science students who might be interested in working on coding projects with
> Wikipedia/Wikimedia projects?
>
> We have a page on Wikipedia greeting students/instructors who want to do
> class projects related to *writing* articles, but do we have a similar
> thing for CS instructors and students who might want to do an assignment or
> class project with Mediawiki, APIs, or with database dumps?
>
> If anyone could point me to the best of what we have now, that’d be great.
> This would be a way to find “shovel ready” challenges for students to work
> on, or contribute to projects in progress.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Andrew

Re: Page for newbie/projects?

Siebrand Mazeland-2
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Andrew Lih <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a wiki page that acts as a first stop or landing page for computer
> science students who might be interested in working on coding projects with
> Wikipedia/Wikimedia projects?

* This article is written to help novice developers learn the skills needed
to contribute to MediaWiki development:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker
* Experienced developers, should go here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_hub

Siebrand

Re: Page for newbie/projects?

Magnus Manske-2
Sadly, the API dev page looks broken:
http://devhub.wmflabs.org/wiki/API:Web_APIs_hub

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 4:04 PM Amir E. Aharoni <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The usual suggestions is
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> > Hi devs/techs,
> >
> > Is there a wiki page that acts as a first stop or landing page for
> computer
> > science students who might be interested in working on coding projects
> with
> > Wikipedia/Wikimedia projects?
> >
> > We have a page on Wikipedia greeting students/instructors who want to do
> > class projects related to *writing* articles, but do we have a similar
> > thing for CS instructors and students who might want to do an assignment
> or
> > class project with Mediawiki, APIs, or with database dumps?
> >
> > If anyone could point me to the best of what we have now, that’d be
> great.
> > This would be a way to find “shovel ready” challenges for students to
> work
> > on, or contribute to projects in progress.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Andrew

Re: Page for newbie/projects?

Siebrand Mazeland-2
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sadly, the API dev page looks broken:
> http://devhub.wmflabs.org/wiki/API:Web_APIs_hub

According to the dev hub[1], this is the API hub:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Web_APIs_hub and the link you mention is
the prototype site (according to forementioned page).

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_hub

Siebrand

Re: Page for newbie/projects?

Magnus Manske-2
I see.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 4:08 PM Siebrand Mazeland <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Magnus Manske <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Sadly, the API dev page looks broken:
> > http://devhub.wmflabs.org/wiki/API:Web_APIs_hub
>

> According to the dev hub[1], this is the API hub:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Web_APIs_hub and the link you mention
> is
> the prototype site (according to forementioned page).
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_hub
>
> Siebrand

Re: Page for newbie/projects?

Russell Uman
The "Easy" tag in Phabricator is one place to start if folks are looking
for simple tasks.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/search/query/uNw6vXu_ZQQD/#R

On 01/20/2016 08:00 AM, Andrew Lih wrote:

> Hi devs/techs,
>
> Is there a wiki page that acts as a first stop or landing page for computer
> science students who might be interested in working on coding projects with
> Wikipedia/Wikimedia projects?
>
> We have a page on Wikipedia greeting students/instructors who want to do
> class projects related to *writing* articles, but do we have a similar
> thing for CS instructors and students who might want to do an assignment or
> class project with Mediawiki, APIs, or with database dumps?
>
> If anyone could point me to the best of what we have now, that’d be great.
> This would be a way to find “shovel ready” challenges for students to work
> on, or contribute to projects in progress.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Andrew

Re: Page for newbie/projects?

Andrew Lih
Thanks for the tips all, and for the starting points for newbies. Very
helpful.

-Andrew

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Russell Uman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "Easy" tag in Phabricator is one place to start if folks are looking
> for simple tasks.
>
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/search/query/uNw6vXu_ZQQD/#R
>

> On 01/20/2016 08:00 AM, Andrew Lih wrote:
>
>> Hi devs/techs,
>>
>> Is there a wiki page that acts as a first stop or landing page for
>> computer
>> science students who might be interested in working on coding projects
>> with
>> Wikipedia/Wikimedia projects?
>>
>> We have a page on Wikipedia greeting students/instructors who want to do
>> class projects related to *writing* articles, but do we have a similar
>> thing for CS instructors and students who might want to do an assignment
>> or
>> class project with Mediawiki, APIs, or with database dumps?
>>
>> If anyone could point me to the best of what we have now, that’d be great.
>> This would be a way to find “shovel ready” challenges for students to work
>> on, or contribute to projects in progress.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Andrew

Re: Page for newbie/projects?

Andre Klapper-2
On Wed, 2016-01-20 at 13:07 -0800, Russell Uman wrote:
> The "Easy" tag in Phabricator is one place to start if folks are
> looking for simple tasks.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker
refers to https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Annoying_little_bugs which
provides several queries per area for Phabricator tasks marked as
"easy", instead of directly going to that long list in Phabricator.

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Page for newbie/projects?

Quim Gil-2
Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Andrew Lih <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a wiki page that acts as a first stop or landing page for computer
> science students who might be interested in working on coding projects with
> Wikipedia/Wikimedia projects?
>
> We have a page on Wikipedia greeting students/instructors who want to do
> class projects related to *writing* articles, but do we have a similar
> thing for CS instructors and students who might want to do an assignment or
> class project with Mediawiki, APIs, or with database dumps?
>
> If anyone could point me to the best of what we have now, that’d be great.
> This would be a way to find “shovel ready” challenges for students to work
> on, or contribute to projects in progress.

For what is worth, all Wikimedia wikis have a "Developers" link in the
footer that points to

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute

That page features a first link to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Starter_kit and different sections for types
of technical contributions, each of them pointing to a specialized landing
page.

I wish we had a clearer path for newcomers. The https://mediawiki.org
homepage should provide a clear answer to the expected question you ask.
The diversity of replies you got shows the dimension of the prob... of the
opportunity ;) we have.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil