Page previews promoted out of beta on all Wikipedias

Page previews promoted out of beta on all Wikipedias

Olga Vasileva
Hi all,

Page previews[1] have now been promoted out of beta to the remaining two
Wikipedias - English and German, after a series of consultations on both
wikis [2][3][4].  The feature is now on by default for all logged-out users
and off by default for all logged-in users (can be enabled using user
preferences) on all Wikipedias.  Further changes to configuration based on
our conversations with communities (such as turning the feature on for new
accounts) are coming up soon.

Page previews allows readers to read an excerpt of a linked article’s lead
section without leaving the page they’re currently on, by hovering their
mouse over the link. It has been activated by default for logged-out users
on all Wikipedias except German and English since August 2017, and numerous
further bug fixes and technical improvements have been implemented since. A
few weeks ago we published the results of our latest round of A/B testing
[5]. We found that when the feature is enabled, readers will open pages in
their browser slightly less often (a decrease of around 3–5% in regular
pageviews). But on the other hand, they interact with a lot more different
pages when one counts both the seen page previews and the regular pageviews
(an increase of around 20–22% in the number of distinct pages interacted
with via either method). In addition, the option to deactivate the feature
was used very rarely (disable rates were around 0.01%). This leads us to
believe that Page Previews is a welcomed feature that is helping readers
learn more during their visits.

More information about Page previews can be found on the project page on
MediaWIki.org [1]. The team also recently wrote a few blog posts. One about
the work that went into the design of the feature [6] and another giving an
overview of the functionality [7].

If you see any issues, please report them in Phabricator. [8]

Thanks,

Olga

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews

[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical)/Archive_164#Improvements_to_Page_Previews

[3]
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fragen_zur_Wikipedia/Archiv/2018/Woche_14#Seitenvorschaubilder_(Page_Previews)

[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(miscellaneous)#Next_Steps

[5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews/2017-18_A/B_Tests

[6]
https://medium.com/freely-sharing-the-sum-of-all-knowledge/how-we-designed-page-previews-for-wikipedia-and-what-could-be-done-with-them-in-the-future-7a5fa6b07b96

[7]  https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/04/17/wikipedia-page-previews/

[8] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/page-previews/
--
Olga Vasileva // Product Manager // Reading Web Team
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: Page previews promoted out of beta on all Wikipedias

Ryan Kaldari-2
A huge congratulations on this awesome project! I know it's been a slog,
but hopefully worth the pain :) Nice work, everyone involved!

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Olga Vasileva <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>

> [3]
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fragen_zur_
> Wikipedia/Archiv/2018/Woche_14#Seitenvorschaubilder_(Page_Previews)
>

> [4]
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(
> miscellaneous)#Next_Steps
>
> [5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews/2017-18_A/B_Tests
>
> [6]
> https://medium.com/freely-sharing-the-sum-of-all-
> knowledge/how-we-designed-page-previews-for-wikipedia-
> and-what-could-be-done-with-them-in-the-future-7a5fa6b07b96
>

> [7]  https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/04/17/wikipedia-page-previews/
>
> [8] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/page-previews/
> --
> Olga Vasileva // Product Manager // Reading Web Team
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: Page previews promoted out of beta on all Wikipedias

Joshua Minor
Congrats! So much study, work blog posts, design, and just thought and care
went into this feature. A huge day for readers of desktop English and
German. As the old saying goes: w00t w00t web team!

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > [3]
> > https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fragen_zur_
> > Wikipedia/Archiv/2018/Woche_14#Seitenvorschaubilder_(Page_Previews)
> >

> > [4]
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(
> > miscellaneous)#Next_Steps
> >
> > [5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews/2017-18_A/B_Tests
> >
> > [6]
> > https://medium.com/freely-sharing-the-sum-of-all-
> > knowledge/how-we-designed-page-previews-for-wikipedia-
> > and-what-could-be-done-with-them-in-the-future-7a5fa6b07b96
> >

> > [7]  https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/04/17/wikipedia-page-previews/
> >
> > [8] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/page-previews/
> > --
> > Olga Vasileva // Product Manager // Reading Web Team
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: Page previews promoted out of beta on all Wikipedias

Derk-Jan Hartman
w00t. especially for Prateek who did much of the early work.
https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Popups/commits/45046da7f1e435760868eaae99676411a964b2ff?after=45046da7f1e435760868eaae99676411a964b2ff+874

Glad ppl persevered.

DJ

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 11:41 PM, Joshua Minor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> > [3]
>> > https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fragen_zur_
>> > Wikipedia/Archiv/2018/Woche_14#Seitenvorschaubilder_(Page_Previews)
>> >

>> > [4]
>> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(
>> > miscellaneous)#Next_Steps
>> >
>> > [5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews/2017-18_A/B_Tests
>> >
>> > [6]
>> > https://medium.com/freely-sharing-the-sum-of-all-
>> > knowledge/how-we-designed-page-previews-for-wikipedia-
>> > and-what-could-be-done-with-them-in-the-future-7a5fa6b07b96
>> >

>> > [7]  https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/04/17/wikipedia-page-previews/
>> >
>> > [8] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/page-previews/
>> > --
>> > Olga Vasileva // Product Manager // Reading Web Team
>> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: Page previews promoted out of beta on all Wikipedias

Charlotte Gauthier
Hooray! Well done everyone. :)

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 10:11 PM, Olga Vasileva <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>

> [3]
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fragen_zur_
> Wikipedia/Archiv/2018/Woche_14#Seitenvorschaubilder_(Page_Previews)
>

> [4]
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(
> miscellaneous)#Next_Steps
>
> [5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews/2017-18_A/B_Tests
>
> [6]
> https://medium.com/freely-sharing-the-sum-of-all-
> knowledge/how-we-designed-page-previews-for-wikipedia-
> and-what-could-be-done-with-them-in-the-future-7a5fa6b07b96
>

> [7]  https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/04/17/wikipedia-page-previews/
>
> [8] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/page-previews/
> --
> Olga Vasileva // Product Manager // Reading Web Team
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: Page previews promoted out of beta on all Wikipedias

Adam Baso
Nice work, team!