PanImages: cross-lingual image search created using 'Wiktionaries'

PanImages: cross-lingual image search created using 'Wiktionaries'

Brianna Laugher
PanImages Image Search Tool Speaks Hundreds Of Languages
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/news/2007/09/12/panimages-image-search-tool-speaks-hundreds-of-languages/

quote:
PanImages' powerful brains were created by scanning more than 350
machine-readable online dictionaries. Some of these were
"wiktionaries," online multilingual dictionaries written by
volunteers. The PanImages software scans these dictionaries and uses
an algorithm to check the accuracy of the results. It then assembles
the results in a matrix that allows translation in combinations that
may never have been attempted — for instance, from Gujarati to
Lithuanian.

The actual search engine is here:
http://www.panimages.org/index.jsp?displang=eng

And the research paper detailing the algorithm and method is here:
http://turing.cs.washington.edu/papers/EtzioniMTSummit07.pdf

An idea to use Wiktionary or interwiki links to improve image search
for Commons has long  been kicked around. Maybe we could collaborate
with them to improve the Mayflower search engine for Commons? (Or else
ask them to index upload.wikimedia.org and pay attention to license
metadata :)) After all, we supplied them with all this useful data for
free.

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: PanImages: cross-lingual image search created using 'Wiktionaries'

jim gunn
yes I have reported your tax exempt charity 501 (c)  to the IRS, and the Florida department of law enforcement. Betcha  ole "Jimbo" will be in for a rude awakening.  I think 135 e-mails from your cult is enough to warrant a little scrutiny...which is why I pitched a segment idea to a network TV  documentary series to great interest and talked to an old friend who I've known as a colleague and a neighbor for many years...ever heard of Michael Moore ? God you have got to love investigative journalism-it helps to keep the fraudsters in check.... And I am thankful that you graciously harassed me with all of those spam e-mails because it means war-not with violence but a war where your cult will lose MONEY. Speaking of fraudster's sending checks, your cult will  pay me, directly or otherwise.And it goes without saying I have reported your cult to any and all internet providers and I will enjoy making money from you. Hell, I deserve it.  And by the way, L. Ron  was a conman.

Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:  PanImages Image Search Tool Speaks Hundreds Of Languages
[...]

Tim Starling-2
jim gunn wrote:

> yes I have reported your tax exempt charity 501 (c)  to the IRS, and
> the Florida department of law enforcement. Betcha  ole "Jimbo" will
> be in for a rude awakening.  I think 135 e-mails from your cult is
> enough to warrant a little scrutiny...which is why I pitched a
> segment idea to a network TV  documentary series to great interest
> and talked to an old friend who I've known as a colleague and a
> neighbor for many years...ever heard of Michael Moore ? God you have
> got to love investigative journalism-it helps to keep the fraudsters
> in check.... And I am thankful that you graciously harassed me with
> all of those spam e-mails because it means war-not with violence but
> a war where your cult will lose MONEY. Speaking of fraudster's
> sending checks, your cult will  pay me, directly or otherwise.And it
> goes without saying I have reported your cult to any and all internet
> providers and I will enjoy making money from you. Hell, I deserve it.
> And by the way, L. Ron  was a conman.

Note that you can unsubscribe from this mailing list *without* the help
of Michael Moore, simply by clicking on the link at the bottom of each
post and following the instructions there.

-- Tim Starling

Re: PanImages: cross-lingual image search createdusing 'Wiktionaries'

brian.mcneil-2
jim gunn wrote:

>... talked to an old friend who I've known as a colleague and a neighbor
>for many years...ever heard of Michael Moore ?

Good, if you know the man you can ask him why he doesn't answer my emails.

This email address. I want an interview, is he afraid of the press?

Brian McNeil
Wikinews (http://en.wikinews.org) Accredited Reporter.

Re: [Wiktionary-l] PanImages: cross-lingual image search created using 'Wiktionaries'

KIZU Naoko
Thank you Brianna for letting us know that. It's quite interesting.
I'm fully supportive for your proposal.

At Wikimania2007 I heard some of our volunteers use exactly interwiki
links and *then* dictionaries either online or in paper to look
translation of words up. Also I heard several outside people use
Wikipedia just in this purpose - to looking up the meaning of foreign
words. So I think it would make a sense this looking up is down into
an automatic search and benefit search engines :)   And if we know the
people who are working on that ... why not contact them? Thought?

On 9/13/07, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PanImages Image Search Tool Speaks Hundreds Of Languages
> http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/news/2007/09/12/panimages-image-search-tool-speaks-hundreds-of-languages/
>
> quote:
> PanImages' powerful brains were created by scanning more than 350
> machine-readable online dictionaries. Some of these were
> "wiktionaries," online multilingual dictionaries written by
> volunteers. The PanImages software scans these dictionaries and uses
> an algorithm to check the accuracy of the results. It then assembles
> the results in a matrix that allows translation in combinations that
> may never have been attempted — for instance, from Gujarati to
> Lithuanian.
>
> The actual search engine is here:
> http://www.panimages.org/index.jsp?displang=eng
>
> And the research paper detailing the algorithm and method is here:
> http://turing.cs.washington.edu/papers/EtzioniMTSummit07.pdf
>
> An idea to use Wiktionary or interwiki links to improve image search
> for Commons has long  been kicked around. Maybe we could collaborate
> with them to improve the Mayflower search engine for Commons? (Or else
> ask them to index upload.wikimedia.org and pay attention to license
> metadata :)) After all, we supplied them with all this useful data for
> free.
>
> cheers,
> Brianna
>

> --
> They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment:
> http://modernthings.org/

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

On 13/09/2007, jim gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes I have reported your tax exempt charity 501 (c)  to the IRS, and the Florida department of law enforcement. Betcha  ole "Jimbo" will be in for a rude awakening.  I think 135 e-mails from your cult is enough to warrant a little scrutiny...which is why I pitched a segment idea to a network TV  documentary series to great interest and talked to an old friend who I've known as a colleague and a neighbor for many years...ever heard of Michael Moore ? God you have got to love investigative journalism-it helps to keep the fraudsters in check.... And I am thankful that you graciously harassed me with all of those spam e-mails because it means war-not with violence but a war where your cult will lose MONEY. Speaking of fraudster's sending checks, your cult will  pay me, directly or otherwise.And it goes without saying I have reported your cult to any and all internet providers and I will enjoy making money from you. Hell, I deserve it.  And by the way, L. Ron  was a conman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_V_Shaney

- d.

Re: PanImages: cross-lingual image search created using 'Wiktionaries'

KillerChihuahua
Tim Starling wrote:

> jim gunn wrote:
>
>> yes I have reported your tax exempt charity 501 (c)  to the IRS, and
>> the Florida department of law enforcement. Betcha  ole "Jimbo" will
>> be in for a rude awakening.  I think 135 e-mails from your cult is
>> enough to warrant a little scrutiny...which is why I pitched a
>> segment idea to a network TV  documentary series to great interest
>> and talked to an old friend who I've known as a colleague and a
>> neighbor for many years...ever heard of Michael Moore ? God you have
>> got to love investigative journalism-it helps to keep the fraudsters
>> in check.... And I am thankful that you graciously harassed me with
>> all of those spam e-mails because it means war-not with violence but
>> a war where your cult will lose MONEY. Speaking of fraudster's
>> sending checks, your cult will  pay me, directly or otherwise.And it
>> goes without saying I have reported your cult to any and all internet
>> providers and I will enjoy making money from you. Hell, I deserve it.
>> And by the way, L. Ron  was a conman.
>>

> Note that you can unsubscribe from this mailing list *without* the help
> of Michael Moore, simply by clicking on the link at the bottom of each
> post and following the instructions there.

> -- Tim Starling

Is that what he was going on about? I couldn't figure it out. He
subscribed, then decided we were spam? Um... words fail me. Although the
"fraud" "cult" and "money" references, especially the L. Ron reference,
lead me to believe he's talking about Scientology. Do you suppose he has
Wikipedia confused with Scientology? That would be a first, I think.

-kc-