Paper: Tracking the Lexical Zeitgeist with WordNet and Wikipedia

Paper: Tracking the Lexical Zeitgeist with WordNet and Wikipedia

Oldak
I don't see many people recommending already-written papers about
Wikimedia projects on this mailing list, so I thought I'd recommend
one.

http://afflatus.ucd.ie/Papers/ecai2006.pdf

The paper is about "a system for dynamic lexicon growth that harvests
and semantically analyses new lexical forms from Wikipedia, to
automatically enrich WordNet as these new word forms are minted."

It's an interesting read about semantic information that can be
extracted from Wikipedia as-is. A useful derivitive use of what we're
putting together.

A second paper also covers the semantic extraction of a knowledge base
of 5 million facts from Wikipedia. "The facts have been automatically
extracted from Wikipedia and married with WordNet, using a carefully
designed combination of rule-based and heuristic methods described in
this paper." (http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~suchanek/publications/www2007.pdf)

Credit to Chris Bizer for posting the former paper, and Sören Auer for
the latter on the Dbpedia-discussion mailing list.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])