Partial export and integration into another Wiki? (incl. pics!)

Partial export and integration into another Wiki? (incl. pics!)

Christian Hammers-2
Hello

Is there a possibility to export only a subset of a Mediawiki
to integrate i.e. add it into another, already existing, Mediawiki?

I tried maintenance/dumpBackup.php and the SpecialPages export but
both
 a) did not dump pics and other media content like PDF pages
 b) put <id> tags into the XML output. I guess I could replace
    those automatically for User-Ids as those are few here or even
    neglible and replace them with 0 for the page ids as they seem
    to get a new id during import then.
 c) put a special header at the top of the XML file which though can
    be deleted without giving erros on the import.

Do you have suggestions how to do this the right way?

thanks,

-christian-

Re: Partial export and integration into another Wiki? (incl. pics!)

Brion Vibber
Christian Hammers wrote:
> Is there a possibility to export only a subset of a Mediawiki
> to integrate i.e. add it into another, already existing, Mediawiki?
>
> I tried maintenance/dumpBackup.php and the SpecialPages export but
> both
>  a) did not dump pics and other media content like PDF pages

Right. It just takes pages, not uploads.

>  b) put <id> tags into the XML output. I guess I could replace
>     those automatically for User-Ids as those are few here or even
>     neglible and replace them with 0 for the page ids as they seem
>     to get a new id during import then.

importDump.php ignores these, so why would you replace them?

>  c) put a special header at the top of the XML file which though can
>     be deleted without giving erros on the import.

Why do you think this is a problem?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Partial export and integration into another Wiki? (incl. pics!)

DaBuum
Hi Christian,

Christian Hammers schrieb:

> Hello
>
> I tried maintenance/dumpBackup.php and the SpecialPages export but
> both
>  a) did not dump pics and other media content like PDF pages
>  b) put <id> tags into the XML output. I guess I could replace
>     those automatically for User-Ids as those are few here or even
>     neglible and replace them with 0 for the page ids as they seem
>     to get a new id during import then.
>  c) put a special header at the top of the XML file which though can
>     be deleted without giving erros on the import.
>
> Do you have suggestions how to do this the right way?

I am working on an extension which puts a XML export of selected article
together with including pictures/uploads into a zip-file. I am also
working on an extension which imports such zip-files.

Regards,
 Benedikt

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 09:30:26AM +0200, Benedikt Meuthrath wrote:

> > I tried maintenance/dumpBackup.php and the SpecialPages export but
> > both
> >  a) did not dump pics and other media content like PDF pages
> >  b) put <id> tags into the XML output. I guess I could replace
> >     those automatically for User-Ids as those are few here or even
> >     neglible and replace them with 0 for the page ids as they seem
> >     to get a new id during import then.
> >  c) put a special header at the top of the XML file which though can
> >     be deleted without giving erros on the import.
> >
> > Do you have suggestions how to do this the right way?
>
> I am working on an extension which puts a XML export of selected article
> together with including pictures/uploads into a zip-file. I am also
> working on an extension which imports such zip-files.

Good to hear. Do you have a webpage which I can check for the final
version or do you announce it on this list?

bye,

-christian-