Participation policy

Michael Peel-4
Hi all,

We're* putting together a policy on participation at Wikimedia UK events, in order to ensure that they are open to all, and that they don't have disruptive or discriminatory behaviour taking place at them. The policy is at:

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Participation_policy

Please take a look and let us know what you think to it, ideally on the talk page. We'll be making a decision to formally adopt the policy in the next week or so.

Thanks,
Mike

* by which I mean Chris and Fæ are doing the hard work, while WMUK claims the credit. ;-)

Re: Participation policy

Gordon Joly
On 19/02/2012 09:50, Michael Peel wrote:
> We're* putting together a policy on participation at Wikimedia UK events, in order to ensure that they are open to all, and that they don't have disruptive or discriminatory behaviour taking place at them. The policy is at:
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Participation_policy
>
> Please take a look and let us know what you think to it, ideally on the talk page. We'll be making a decision to formally adopt the policy in the next week or so.

Meta-policy comment.

A policy stated as a series of bullet points?  Since it is is a wiki,
the policy has a version control and history built in, but I would
prefer a context statement, setting out the background, scope and
limitations (e.g. expires in 36 months). I would also suggest a short
"Equality Impact Assessment" for each policy (can be empty, but give it
some thought!), and a review of that assessment when the policy changes.
These policies are owned and published by the Board of Wikimedia UK, but
it also worth thinking about "first author" or "point of contact" (who
would be a member of staff?).

Looking at the above policy, we have "activities" and those have
"participants" who.... participate. Hence, the policy. But what is an
"activity"? The wikimeets (London, Bristol, Coventry, etc) are excluded
or included? Policy should make that clear.

I like this one below. Could be a template for all policies. Who wrote
this??!??!

:-)

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Diversity_and_Equalities_Policy

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: Participation policy

Tom Morris-5
On 19 February 2012 11:10, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Diversity_and_Equalities_Policy

The word "Equalities" sticks out as particularly ugly. "Equality",
sure, great. But equalities? There are inequalities, when things are
not equal. But when they are equal, there is equality, not equalities.

(Don't mind me, I'm working on the Grumpiness and Pedantics Policy.)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Participation policy

Gordon Joly
On 19/02/2012 11:20, Tom Morris wrote:
> On 19 February 2012 11:10, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Diversity_and_Equalities_Policy
>>
> The word "Equalities" sticks out as particularly ugly. "Equality",
> sure, great. But equalities? There are inequalities, when things are
> not equal. But when they are equal, there is equality, not equalities.
>
> (Don't mind me, I'm working on the Grumpiness and Pedantics Policy.)

Read the Act?

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/equalities/equality-act/

"The Equality Act 2010 is the law which bans unfair treatment and helps
achieve equal opportunities in the workplace and in wider society."

Gordo