Passing to {{ping}} a list of user stored in a template on Meta

Passing to {{ping}} a list of user stored in a template on Meta

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz
I'm trying to solve the problem exposed here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Psychoslave#Template:Participants
(in French)

In a nutshell, the goal is to be able to ping a group of user on meta.
so ideally, you just type something like {{ping|my_group}}
But as ping and the underlying "Module:Reply_to" are expecting one user
per argument
my current idea is to make something like {{ping|{{:/some_group/members}}}}
so instead of
{{ping|Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_Kinzler_(WMDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|GastelEtzwane|JackPotte|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreVeille|Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|Marcmiquel|Micru|Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|Pamputt|psychoslave|Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma|Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn}}

I can just write
     {{ping|{{:Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User
Group/affiliates}}}} for example

but even if I put verbatim in a template:
Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_Kinzler_(WMDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|GastelEtzwane|JackPotte|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreVeille|Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|Marcmiquel|Micru|Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|Pamputt|psychoslave|Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma|Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn
in the page

and call ping with this template as argumement, it will end up with a
"Error in Template:Reply to: Input contains forbidden characters."

This message is generated by the module Reply_to but I can't change it
since it's protected.

So I'm looking for a way to bypass whatever generate this error, or more
broadly any idea to resolve the exposed problem.

Re: Passing to {{ping}} a list of user stored in a template on Meta

יגאל חיטרון
Hi. Is there any chance for really forbidden characters? For example, did
you try to check the input characters one by one? Or, maybe the last user
name came with end of line, as part of template transclusion, and this will
kill the mw.title.new/1 function.
Igal (User:IKhitron)

[hidden email]>:

> I'm trying to solve the problem exposed here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Psychoslave#Templa
> te:Participants (in French)
>
> In a nutshell, the goal is to be able to ping a group of user on meta.
> so ideally, you just type something like {{ping|my_group}}
> But as ping and the underlying "Module:Reply_to" are expecting one user
> per argument
> my current idea is to make something like {{ping|{{:/some_group/members}
> }}}
> so instead of
> {{ping|Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_
> Kinzler_(WMDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|
> GastelEtzwane|JackPotte|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreV
> eille|Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|
> Marcmiquel|Micru|Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|
> Pamputt|psychoslave|Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_
> Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_
> Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma|Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|
> VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn}}
>
> I can just write
>     {{ping|{{:Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User Group/affiliates}}}}
> for example
>
> but even if I put verbatim in a template:
> Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_Kinzler_(W
> MDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|GastelEtzwane|JackPot
> te|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreVeille|Lydia_
> Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|Marcmiquel|Micru|
> Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|Pamputt|psychoslave|
> Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|
> Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma
> |Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|
> VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn in the page
>
> and call ping with this template as argumement, it will end up with a
> "Error in Template:Reply to: Input contains forbidden characters."
>
> This message is generated by the module Reply_to but I can't change it
> since it's protected.
>
> So I'm looking for a way to bypass whatever generate this error, or more
> broadly any idea to resolve the exposed problem.

Re: Passing to {{ping}} a list of user stored in a template on Meta

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz
I didn't check one by one, but calling directly the ping template with
all the parameters will work while calling ping with a template which
transclusion provide the same string, so "Amqui|Ariel1024|…" won't work.
So, maybe it's the vertical bar "|" which is not interpreted as a
parameter separator in this case and the whole string is passed as a
single parameter.

Le 24/09/2017 à 17:59, יגאל חיטרון a écrit :

> Hi. Is there any chance for really forbidden characters? For example, did
> you try to check the input characters one by one? Or, maybe the last user
> name came with end of line, as part of template transclusion, and this will
> kill the mw.title.new/1 function.
> Igal (User:IKhitron)

> [hidden email]>:
>
>> I'm trying to solve the problem exposed here:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Psychoslave#Templa
>> te:Participants (in French)
>>
>> In a nutshell, the goal is to be able to ping a group of user on meta.
>> so ideally, you just type something like {{ping|my_group}}
>> But as ping and the underlying "Module:Reply_to" are expecting one user
>> per argument
>> my current idea is to make something like {{ping|{{:/some_group/members}
>> }}}
>> so instead of
>> {{ping|Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_
>> Kinzler_(WMDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|
>> GastelEtzwane|JackPotte|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreV
>> eille|Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|
>> Marcmiquel|Micru|Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|
>> Pamputt|psychoslave|Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_
>> Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_
>> Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma|Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|
>> VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn}}
>>
>> I can just write
>>      {{ping|{{:Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User Group/affiliates}}}}
>> for example
>>
>> but even if I put verbatim in a template:
>> Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_Kinzler_(W
>> MDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|GastelEtzwane|JackPot
>> te|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreVeille|Lydia_
>> Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|Marcmiquel|Micru|
>> Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|Pamputt|psychoslave|
>> Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|
>> Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma
>> |Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|
>> VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn in the page
>>
>> and call ping with this template as argumement, it will end up with a
>> "Error in Template:Reply to: Input contains forbidden characters."
>>
>> This message is generated by the module Reply_to but I can't change it
>> since it's protected.
>>
>> So I'm looking for a way to bypass whatever generate this error, or more
>> broadly any idea to resolve the exposed problem.

Re: Passing to {{ping}} a list of user stored in a template on Meta

יגאל חיטרון
You do not check one by one. Just try what I suggested.
Igal

[hidden email]>:

> I didn't check one by one, but calling directly the ping template with all
> the parameters will work while calling ping with a template which
> transclusion provide the same string, so "Amqui|Ariel1024|…" won't work.
> So, maybe it's the vertical bar "|" which is not interpreted as a parameter
> separator in this case and the whole string is passed as a single parameter.
>
> Le 24/09/2017 à 17:59, יגאל חיטרון a écrit :
>
> Hi. Is there any chance for really forbidden characters? For example, did
> you try to check the input characters one by one? Or, maybe the last user
> name came with end of line, as part of template transclusion, and this will
> kill the mw.title.new/1 function.
> Igal (User:IKhitron)

> I'm trying to solve the problem exposed here:https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Psychoslave#Templa
> te:Participants (in French)
>
> In a nutshell, the goal is to be able to ping a group of user on meta.
> so ideally, you just type something like {{ping|my_group}}
> But as ping and the underlying "Module:Reply_to" are expecting one user
> per argument
> my current idea is to make something like {{ping|{{:/some_group/members}
> }}}
> so instead of
> {{ping|Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_
> Kinzler_(WMDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|
> GastelEtzwane|JackPotte|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreV
> eille|Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|
> Marcmiquel|Micru|Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|
> Pamputt|psychoslave|Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_
> Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_
> Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma|Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|
> VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn}}
>
> I can just write
>     {{ping|{{:Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User Group/affiliates}}}}
> for example
>
> but even if I put verbatim in a template:
> Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_Kinzler_(W
> MDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|GastelEtzwane|JackPot
> te|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|
> LA2|LaMèreVeille|Lydia_
> Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|Marcmiquel|Micru|
> Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|Pamputt|psychoslave|
> Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|
> Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma
> |Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|
> VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn in the page
>
> and call ping with this template as argumement, it will end up with a
> "Error in Template:Reply to: Input contains forbidden characters."
>
> This message is generated by the module Reply_to but I can't change it
> since it's protected.
>
> So I'm looking for a way to bypass whatever generate this error, or more
> broadly any idea to resolve the exposed problem.

Re: Passing to {{ping}} a list of user stored in a template on Meta

bawolff
Why not just make a template containing <includeonly>{{ping|first
user|second user|third user|...}}</includeonly>

Your issue is almost certainly that the pipes aren't being tokenized
as argument separators when they come from a transcluded template.
(Its the same reason that {{!}} works in tables, except in reverse).

Alternatively, {{ping|{{subst::Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User
Group/affiliates}}}} would probably work.

--
Brian

Le 24/09/2017 à 19:31, bawolff a écrit :
> Why not just make a template containing <includeonly>{{ping|first
> user|second user|third user|...}}</includeonly>
>
> Your issue is almost certainly that the pipes aren't being tokenized
> as argument separators when they come from a transcluded template.
> (Its the same reason that {{!}} works in tables, except in reverse).
>
> Alternatively, {{ping|{{subst::Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User
> Group/affiliates}}}} would probably work.
Great, it looks like it works, thank you.

My idea was that the parameter list should be generated from a bullet
list written/included in "Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User
Group". If you know template which already do that well or have any
suggestion regarding the implementation, please let me know.

> --
> Brian
>
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 3:41 PM, mathieu stumpf guntz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm trying to solve the problem exposed here:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Psychoslave#Template:Participants
>> (in French)
>>
>> In a nutshell, the goal is to be able to ping a group of user on meta.
>> so ideally, you just type something like {{ping|my_group}}
>> But as ping and the underlying "Module:Reply_to" are expecting one user per
>> argument
>> my current idea is to make something like {{ping|{{:/some_group/members}}}}
>> so instead of
>> {{ping|Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_Kinzler_(WMDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|GastelEtzwane|JackPotte|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreVeille|Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|Marcmiquel|Micru|Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|Pamputt|psychoslave|Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma|Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn}}
>>
>> I can just write
>>      {{ping|{{:Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User Group/affiliates}}}} for
>> example
>>
>> but even if I put verbatim in a template:
>> Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_Kinzler_(WMDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|GastelEtzwane|JackPotte|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreVeille|Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|Marcmiquel|Micru|Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|Pamputt|psychoslave|Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma|Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn
>> in the page
>>
>> and call ping with this template as argumement, it will end up with a "Error
>> in Template:Reply to: Input contains forbidden characters."
>>
>> This message is generated by the module Reply_to but I can't change it since
>> it's protected.
>>
>> So I'm looking for a way to bypass whatever generate this error, or more
>> broadly any idea to resolve the exposed problem.

Using a transcluded string valued with something like "param1|param2|…" as parameter list for an other template [Was: Re: Passing to {{ping}} a list of user stored in a template on Meta]

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz

Le 24/09/2017 à 19:31, bawolff a écrit :
> Why not just make a template containing <includeonly>{{ping|first
> user|second user|third user|...}}</includeonly>
>
> Your issue is almost certainly that the pipes aren't being tokenized
> as argument separators when they come from a transcluded template.
> (Its the same reason that {{!}} works in tables, except in reverse).
>
> Alternatively, {{ping|{{subst::Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User
> Group/affiliates}}}} would probably work.
I encounter a similar problem in an other template I'm trying to write.
Indeed, `subst` works as expected, but I would like to keep the call as is.
So that when saving, the list won't be expanded, but will stay dynamic.
So using the same example, something like

{{ping|{{param::Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User Group/affiliates}}}}

Is there already a way to do that.

The other option I see is that the called template or module called
should directly return the whole call. Actually, with a
frame:expandTemplate or frame:preprocess it does work for the case I was
asking this question.

> --
> Brian
>
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 3:41 PM, mathieu stumpf guntz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm trying to solve the problem exposed here:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Psychoslave#Template:Participants
>> (in French)
>>
>> In a nutshell, the goal is to be able to ping a group of user on meta.
>> so ideally, you just type something like {{ping|my_group}}
>> But as ping and the underlying "Module:Reply_to" are expecting one user per
>> argument
>> my current idea is to make something like {{ping|{{:/some_group/members}}}}
>> so instead of
>> {{ping|Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_Kinzler_(WMDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|GastelEtzwane|JackPotte|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreVeille|Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|Marcmiquel|Micru|Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|Pamputt|psychoslave|Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma|Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn}}
>>
>> I can just write
>>      {{ping|{{:Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User Group/affiliates}}}} for
>> example
>>
>> but even if I put verbatim in a template:
>> Amqui|Ariel1024|Aryamanarora|Benoît_Prieur|Daniel_Kinzler_(WMDE)|Delarouvraie|Epantaleo|Ernest-Mtl|GastelEtzwane|JackPotte|Jberkel|Jitrixis|Kimdime|LA2|LaMèreVeille|Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)|Lyokoï|M0tty|Malaysiaboy|Marcmiquel|Micru|Nattes_à_chat|Nemo_bis|Noé|Otourly|Pamputt|psychoslave|Rich_Farmbrough|Rodelar|Satdeep_Gill|Sebleouf|Shavtay|Stalinjeet|S_The_Singer|TAKASUGI_Shinji|TaronjaSatsuma|Thibaut120094|Thiemo_Mättig_(WMDE)|tpt|Trizek_(WMF)|VIGNERON|Vive_la_Rosière|Xabier_Cañas|Xenophôn
>> in the page
>>
>> and call ping with this template as argumement, it will end up with a "Error
>> in Template:Reply to: Input contains forbidden characters."
>>
>> This message is generated by the module Reply_to but I can't change it since
>> it's protected.
>>
>> So I'm looking for a way to bypass whatever generate this error, or more
>> broadly any idea to resolve the exposed problem.

Re: Using a transcluded string valued with something like "param1|param2|…" as parameter list for an other template [Was: Re: Passing to {{ping}} a list of user stored in a template on Meta]

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:53 AM, mathieu stumpf guntz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 24/09/2017 à 19:31, bawolff a écrit :
>
>> Why not just make a template containing <includeonly>{{ping|first
>> user|second user|third user|...}}</includeonly>
>>
>> Your issue is almost certainly that the pipes aren't being tokenized
>> as argument separators when they come from a transcluded template.
>> (Its the same reason that {{!}} works in tables, except in reverse).
>>
>> Alternatively, {{ping|{{subst::Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User
>> Group/affiliates}}}} would probably work.
>>
> I encounter a similar problem in an other template I'm trying to write.
> Indeed, `subst` works as expected, but I would like to keep the call as is.
> So that when saving, the list won't be expanded, but will stay dynamic. So
> using the same example, something like
>
> {{ping|{{param::Wiktionary/Tremendous Wiktionary User Group/affiliates}}}}
>
> Is there already a way to do that.

Such a thing would be incompatible with not expanding a template parameter
until it's actually needed, since it wouldn't allow MediaWiki to know what
parameters were actually specified until after expansion..

> The other option I see is that the called template or module called should
> directly return the whole call. Actually, with a frame:expandTemplate or
> frame:preprocess it does work for the case I was asking this question.

Those are all possible solutions. I'd recommend avoiding frame:preprocess
in favor of frame:expandTemplate if you go that route.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer