Patrolling on english wikipedia

Petr Bena
I was recently suggested by someone (and requested by someone else) to
use patrolling on good edits in huggle, however after executing the
patrol api query I receive this error:

<?xml version="1.0"?><api servedby="mw1130"><error
code="patroldisabled" info="Patrolling is disabled on this wiki"
/></api>

Is it true? Is patrolling really disabled on English wikipedia? It
sounds to me very unlike, so is this a bug and different error message
should have been displayed?

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Theopolisme
On the English Wikipedia, only new *pages* are patrolled. This is the case
on most Wikimedia wikis, actually. See [1]

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Patrolled_edit#Patrolled_pages

*Theo (User:Theopolisme on Wikipedia)http://enwp.org/wiki/User:Theopolisme
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Theopolisme>*

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Petr Bena
OK, so the original suggestion I got from Nemo
(http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-September/072047.html)
to use patrolling as solution for "suspicious edits queue" (which I
proposed here http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-September/072038.html
) was actually not possible, because the feature is disabled anyway...

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Theopolisme <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On the English Wikipedia, only new *pages* are patrolled. This is the case
> on most Wikimedia wikis, actually. See [1]
>
> [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Patrolled_edit#Patrolled_pages
>

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I was recently suggested by someone (and requested by someone else) to
>> use patrolling on good edits in huggle, however after executing the
>> patrol api query I receive this error:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0"?><api servedby="mw1130"><error
>> code="patroldisabled" info="Patrolling is disabled on this wiki"
>> /></api>
>>
>> Is it true? Is patrolling really disabled on English wikipedia? It
>> sounds to me very unlike, so is this a bug and different error message
>> should have been displayed?

> *Theo (User:Theopolisme on Wikipedia)http://enwp.org/wiki/User:Theopolisme
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Theopolisme>*

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Alex Zaddach
Currently, but you could always get consensus to get it enabled.

RC patrolling was switched off in 2005 -
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28news%29&diff=9146943&oldid=9146404

NP patrolling was turned on in 2007 -
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:New_pages_patrol/patrolled_pages&oldid=171938297

And the API didn't support patrolling until 2008 -
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/40435

So obviously things have changed a lot and you may have an actual use
case for it now. That said, I'm not sure patrolled edits is really the
best option. It sounds like you want a queue that you can add things to
for later review. But with patrolled edits, you can only remove things.
So if *every* unpatrolled edit goes through huggle and is either
reverted, patrolled, or left for later review, it would work. But if it
doesn't look at every edit, then your queue is going to be a mix of
"suspicious edits" and things that were never looked at in the first place.

Only admins, bots, and people in the autopatrol group would have their
edits patrolled automatically, which means you'd have to patrol the
edits of a large fraction of regular users.

--
Alex

On 12/10/2013 9:24 AM, Petr Bena wrote:

> OK, so the original suggestion I got from Nemo
> (http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-September/072047.html)
> to use patrolling as solution for "suspicious edits queue" (which I
> proposed here http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-September/072038.html
> ) was actually not possible, because the feature is disabled anyway...
>
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Theopolisme <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On the English Wikipedia, only new *pages* are patrolled. This is the case
>> on most Wikimedia wikis, actually. See [1]
>>
>> [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Patrolled_edit#Patrolled_pages
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I was recently suggested by someone (and requested by someone else) to
>>> use patrolling on good edits in huggle, however after executing the
>>> patrol api query I receive this error:
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0"?><api servedby="mw1130"><error
>>> code="patroldisabled" info="Patrolling is disabled on this wiki"
>>> /></api>
>>>
>>> Is it true? Is patrolling really disabled on English wikipedia? It
>>> sounds to me very unlike, so is this a bug and different error message
>>> should have been displayed?

>> --
>> *Theo (User:Theopolisme on Wikipedia)http://enwp.org/wiki/User:Theopolisme
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Theopolisme>*

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Petr Bena
From my own experience it would be faster and less painful to
implement my own "patrolled edits" feature / queue using some own
interface on labs for example, than getting anything passed through
RFC on enwp :P

But if anyone is in a mood to commit suicide, you can of course start
a RFC on english wikipedia

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently, but you could always get consensus to get it enabled.
>
> RC patrolling was switched off in 2005 -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28news%29&diff=9146943&oldid=9146404
>
> NP patrolling was turned on in 2007 -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:New_pages_patrol/patrolled_pages&oldid=171938297
>
> And the API didn't support patrolling until 2008 -
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/40435
>
> So obviously things have changed a lot and you may have an actual use case
> for it now. That said, I'm not sure patrolled edits is really the best
> option. It sounds like you want a queue that you can add things to for later
> review. But with patrolled edits, you can only remove things. So if *every*
> unpatrolled edit goes through huggle and is either reverted, patrolled, or
> left for later review, it would work. But if it doesn't look at every edit,
> then your queue is going to be a mix of "suspicious edits" and things that
> were never looked at in the first place.
>
> Only admins, bots, and people in the autopatrol group would have their edits
> patrolled automatically, which means you'd have to patrol the edits of a
> large fraction of regular users.
>
> --
> Alex
>

> On 12/10/2013 9:24 AM, Petr Bena wrote:
>>
>> OK, so the original suggestion I got from Nemo
>>
>> (http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-September/072047.html)
>> to use patrolling as solution for "suspicious edits queue" (which I
>> proposed here
>> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-September/072038.html
>> ) was actually not possible, because the feature is disabled anyway...
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Theopolisme <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On the English Wikipedia, only new *pages* are patrolled. This is the
>>> case
>>> on most Wikimedia wikis, actually. See [1]
>>>
>>> [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Patrolled_edit#Patrolled_pages

>>> --
>>> *Theo (User:Theopolisme on
>>> Wikipedia)http://enwp.org/wiki/User:Theopolisme
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Theopolisme>*

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Isarra Yos
On 10/12/13 13:40, Petr Bena wrote:

> I was recently suggested by someone (and requested by someone else) to
> use patrolling on good edits in huggle, however after executing the
> patrol api query I receive this error:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?><api servedby="mw1130"><error
> code="patroldisabled" info="Patrolling is disabled on this wiki"
> /></api>
>
> Is it true? Is patrolling really disabled on English wikipedia? It
> sounds to me very unlike, so is this a bug and different error message
> should have been displayed?

What about using the thank feature for good edits?

-L

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Brian Wolff
On 2013-12-10 11:05 AM, "Isarra Yos" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/12/13 13:40, Petr Bena wrote:
>>
>> I was recently suggested by someone (and requested by someone else) to
>> use patrolling on good edits in huggle, however after executing the
>> patrol api query I receive this error:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0"?><api servedby="mw1130"><error
>> code="patroldisabled" info="Patrolling is disabled on this wiki"
>> /></api>
>>
>> Is it true? Is patrolling really disabled on English wikipedia? It
>> sounds to me very unlike, so is this a bug and different error message
>> should have been displayed?
>

> What about using the thank feature for good edits?
>
> -L

Really this seems the ideal use case for edit tags (the obvious problem is
currently you can't set them by the api afaik)

-bawolff

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Matthew Flaschen-2
On 12/10/2013 01:05 PM, Isarra Yos wrote:
> What about using the thank feature for good edits?

Thanking is for when someone does something special.  Not barnstar
worthy (that's even more special), but more than just a trivial fix.
There are a lot of good edits that probably aren't thanks-worthy.

Matt Flaschen

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Petr Bena
The basic idea is to filter out

* Suspicious edits (edits that looks like the vandalism but person who
reviews them doesn't know for sure and needs more attention by others)
* Good edits (edits that can be surely ignored by others so that
people who deal with vandalism have less work and don't do double work
reviewing same data)

Using thank you feature doesn't really make it easy for others to
figure out if edit was ever processed by that feature / flagged as
good

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/12/13 13:40, Petr Bena wrote:
>>
>> I was recently suggested by someone (and requested by someone else) to
>> use patrolling on good edits in huggle, however after executing the
>> patrol api query I receive this error:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0"?><api servedby="mw1130"><error
>> code="patroldisabled" info="Patrolling is disabled on this wiki"
>> /></api>
>>
>> Is it true? Is patrolling really disabled on English wikipedia? It
>> sounds to me very unlike, so is this a bug and different error message
>> should have been displayed?
>

> What about using the thank feature for good edits?
>
> -L

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Petr Bena
Can you even read them by api? I know these may be part of recent
changes query, but huggle uses IRC feed for RC so the additional
information about edits are retrieved using other api's. Is there any
api that retrieve what tags are applied for an edit with certain
RevID?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-12-10 11:05 AM, "Isarra Yos" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/12/13 13:40, Petr Bena wrote:
>>>
>>> I was recently suggested by someone (and requested by someone else) to
>>> use patrolling on good edits in huggle, however after executing the
>>> patrol api query I receive this error:
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0"?><api servedby="mw1130"><error
>>> code="patroldisabled" info="Patrolling is disabled on this wiki"
>>> /></api>
>>>
>>> Is it true? Is patrolling really disabled on English wikipedia? It
>>> sounds to me very unlike, so is this a bug and different error message
>>> should have been displayed?
>>

>> What about using the thank feature for good edits?
>>
>> -L

> Really this seems the ideal use case for edit tags (the obvious problem is
> currently you can't set them by the api afaik)
>
> -bawolff

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Aaron Halfaker-3
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=revisions&revids=585593930&rvprop=tags&format=jsonfm

Returns:

{
    "query": {
        "pages": {
            "12461": {
                "pageid": 12461,
                "ns": 0,
                "title": "Gradient",
                "revisions": [
                    {
                        "tags": [
                            "Section blanking"
                        ]
                    }
                ]
            }
        }
    }
}

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:36 AM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you even read them by api? I know these may be part of recent
> changes query, but huggle uses IRC feed for RC so the additional
> information about edits are retrieved using other api's. Is there any
> api that retrieve what tags are applied for an edit with certain
> RevID?
>
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> What about using the thank feature for good edits?
> >>
> >> -L

> > Really this seems the ideal use case for edit tags (the obvious problem
> is
> > currently you can't set them by the api afaik)
> >
> > -bawolff

Re: Patrolling on english wikipedia

Petr Bena
Ok, that is good, though it is lacking several features, including
ability to modify it (it's not possible to tag a page using these
api's) so we can use this to improve the scoring, but can't use it to
share some data with other users.