People to approach to help?

Gary Kirk
With http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK/People_interested_in_supporting_a_local_chapter, we have a long list of... well, it's self-explanatory really. Three of those signed are on the Wikimania jury or have conflicts of interest in supporting an individual bid, one is a banned user and one is me. That leaves 74 people who can help in this bid, if anyone is still interested?

I expect not all of them are subscribed to this list. Could people draft an email we can send to them on a subpage of m:Wikimania 2009/UK ?

Cheers
--
Gary Kirk

Re: People to approach to help?

Gary Kirk
If you are interested, please help. I'll give it a week and then I'm sorry, but I give up.

On 01/11/2007, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
With <a href="http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK/People_interested_in_supporting_a_local_chapter" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK/People_interested_in_supporting_a_local_chapter, we have a long list of... well, it's self-explanatory really. Three of those signed are on the Wikimania jury or have conflicts of interest in supporting an individual bid, one is a banned user and one is me. That leaves 74 people who can help in this bid, if anyone is still interested?

I expect not all of them are subscribed to this list. Could people draft an email we can send to them on a subpage of m:Wikimania 2009/UK ?

Cheers
--
Gary Kirk

--
Gary Kirk

Re: People to approach to help?

geni
On 04/11/2007, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you are interested, please help. I'll give it a week and then I'm sorry,
> but I give up.

I could put together an email if you wanted but well if I thought I
could help beyond that I might be on that list
--
geni

On 04/11/2007, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/11/2007, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you are interested, please help. I'll give it a week and then I'm sorry,
> but I give up.

I could put together an email if you wanted but well if I thought I
could help beyond that I might be on that list
--
geni

Gary Kirk

Re: People to approach to help?

Cormac Lawler
Gary, is this a general note of pessimism? I can understand that - but
I would bear in mind that it really just takes one or two dedicated
people to get a serious bid together - people will join as it gathers
momentum, and then certainly if/when the bid is selected. For what
it's worth, I'm still hopeful for 2009, and I will get working on it
soon. (It will be easier for me to concentrate on Manchester, as I
know the venue - if you can see a realistic option yourself, focus
your energy there.)

Cormac

On 11/4/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you are interested, please help. I'll give it a week and then I'm sorry,
> but I give up.
>

> On 01/11/2007, Gary Kirk < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > With
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK/People_interested_in_supporting_a_local_chapter,
> we have a long list of... well, it's self-explanatory really. Three of those
> signed are on the Wikimania jury or have conflicts of interest in supporting
> an individual bid, one is a banned user and one is me. That leaves 74 people
> who can help in this bid, if anyone is still interested?
> >
> > I expect not all of them are subscribed to this list. Could people draft
> an email we can send to them on a subpage of m:Wikimania 2009/UK ?
> >
> > Cheers
> > --
> > Gary Kirk
>

> --
> Gary Kirk

Re: People to approach to help?

Sandy Dorotheo
Guys,

I'm not trying to be tricky. I'm just incompetent with email lists.

The point I'm trying to make is that you need an institution's support if
you want to have a bid grow legs; just like Mido has with the support of the
Bibliotech at Alexandria next year. I'm pretty sure that the OU would love
to help if they were approached in an open way. It would also assist the
Wiki Foundation as the OU is at tone centre of a push (by HP) to get Unis to
develop a global learning "cyberinfrastructure" (as the US National Science
Foundation call it).

Cormac, yu may have met a John Dehlin from MIT at the conference. He is
working on an OpenCourseware Consortia (another $1M from HP) whose aim it is
to do exactly this. The Wikipedia Foundation has a role to play here as
Wikipedia is the most used virtual library in the world, yet it only
allocates 2% of its budget to comms, which explains why it is still using
antiquated tools like this mail list and IRC, when the conversations in most
unis are about how they bridge the gap between an individual's "presence"
and his/her peers with real time tools like the accessgrid.
http://www.accessgrid.org/map

If you wanted a person who may be able to help.
http://news.kmi.open.ac.uk/rostra/news.php?r=6&t=2&id=940
And he could be contacted here (if you wanted to keep an intro above the
radar) http://labspace.open.ac.uk/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=20
Or perhaps start a new thread.

I'll say it again. The one thing which is needed is to consider linking (in
real time) between global conference sites. With Atlanta talking about
running their "own" conference next year at the same time as Alexandria, you
can see how these tools could act to make remote groups feel part of a
global initiative. Linking rooms in Alexandria, Atlanta and (say) Milton
Keyes would be a productive first step. It would also reinforce the UK's bid
as the global conference hub for 2009.

If you wanted a sponsor then it's not hard to see which global IT company
might be interested (although there are a few others I could suggest).

Regards,
simonfj

Gary, is this a general note of pessimism? I can understand that - but
I would bear in mind that it really just takes one or two dedicated
people to get a serious bid together - people will join as it gathers
momentum, and then certainly if/when the bid is selected. For what
it's worth, I'm still hopeful for 2009, and I will get working on it
soon. (It will be easier for me to concentrate on Manchester, as I
know the venue - if you can see a realistic option yourself, focus
your energy there.)

Cormac

On 11/4/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you are interested, please help. I'll give it a week and then I'm
sorry,
> but I give up.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:05 PM

Re: People to approach to help?

Cormac Lawler
Thanks Simon - these are great points. I did in fact meet John Dehlin,
and he was very enthusiastic about collaborating - particularly with
Wikiversity. My major concern with regards Wikimania is with finding a
good venue that will be easy to get to for members of our community,
and comfortably host about 500 people, keeping accommodation and
activity centres within easy reach of each other (as we've had in the
past). The next thing would be to find sponsorship - so your ideas are
most appreciated. (Are you able/willing to help in this regard? :-))
Finally, remote participation is something we have been working on
thus far, but there's much room for improvement. However, I'm not sure
about simultaneous conferences, as it could dilute from the diversity
that has made each Wikimania so special. :-)

Thanks,
Cormac

On 11/6/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a proposal for a venue in London which we could almost certainly have
> for free I've been told. It's in North London and the problem I guess would
> be accommodation. It may or may not be large enough. I will investigate.

That's great Gary. Yes, the main thing is whether the venue can
actually hold a conference :-) - so a variety of rooms for hosting
keynotes and simultaneous sessions, as well as other rooms/spaces, is
a must. Accommodation is preferable to have on-or-adjacent-to-site,
but there could be ways around this too (eg. shuttle buses)...

Cormac

Re: People to approach to help?

Sandy Dorotheo

Guys,

While I'm having a play with this, and as it might be useful if you want to
get together with a few OU people. Or other Wikimanians.
http://fm-openlearn.open.ac.uk/mxbooking/index.php?kwd=FM

This is the context. http://labspace.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=2951
It's free for up to 25.

Regards,
simonfj

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:05 PM

Re: People to approach to help?

Sandy Dorotheo
Thanks Cormac (and Gary - mate I see yu working so hard)

Glad to see you met John D, who, if you read between the OCW forum lines. is
having a hard time, like WM, with coming up with a form of governance that
assists global groups get their interests (and content) together, and find
ways to be sustainable.

Yes the venue is important, but build a better mousetrap and people'll flock
to it. The OU is a hub of (Uni) relationships who constantly run
conferences, so they know better than anyone which venue would be adequate.
National libraries are the same. So the British library would be another
possible approach, especially with the Alexandria Bibliotech hosting next
year. Librarians compete hugely, like all institutions (You know - me too!
me too!)

I used to wrap advertising/ sponsorships around content for a living, so
with the Wikipedia brand, being the most influential library(ies) in the IP
world, it's pretty easy to see who's a hit. Trouble is, if one thinks in
terms of just one event, for one year, the Wikimania brand becomes sooo
devalued = just one little group, in one little country, for a couple of
days, just like an ordinary uni. So tens of thousands of volunteers never
get the feeling that they are part of a new global institution.

It's not so much a matter of remote 'simultaneous conferences'. It's a
matter of having people like Tim Berners Lee being able to attend (virtually
if necessary), and then having a few (or lots of) global 'break out
sessions' - 'atelier' knowledge building as John Seely Brown would say. Am
just watching the dog's breakfast called Megaconference. Room for
improvement? You betcha.
http://digitalunion.osu.edu/megaconference/streaming.html

So forgive a grumpy old man for his incompetence with mail lists. I can see
that if we were to run some sessions on the OU flashmeeting, and have this
discussion on a couple of threads in their Labspace, and invite Mido to give
us an idea of what he has in mind for content next year, and ask our
Taiwanese friends to add their experience, along with others, then we won't
have to go out and sell this too hard. As IBM have said for a decade now, we
live in an on demand world. Trouble is no one seems to believe it.

Regards,
simonfj

Re: People to approach to help?

Gordon Joly
At 23:05 +0000 6/11/07, Cormac Lawler wrote:

>On 11/6/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  I have a proposal for a venue in London which we could almost certainly have
>>  for free I've been told. It's in North London and the problem I guess would
>>  be accommodation. It may or may not be large enough. I will investigate.
>

>That's great Gary. Yes, the main thing is whether the venue can
>actually hold a conference :-) - so a variety of rooms for hosting
>keynotes and simultaneous sessions, as well as other rooms/spaces, is
>a must. Accommodation is preferable to have on-or-adjacent-to-site,
>but there could be ways around this too (eg. shuttle buses)...
>
>Cormac

It really does help to have everything on one site. After, that was
one of the selling points for the London Olympics 2012.

:D

So, UCL, Queen Mary, UEL (all in London) and many other campus sites
are excellent starting points. In fact the Open University take many
weeks from the schedule of Queen Mary's facilities for summer schools.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

gordon.joly@...///

Gary Kirk

Re: People to approach to help?

James Farrar
On 11/11/2007, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, UCL, Queen Mary, UEL (all in London) and many other campus sites
> are excellent starting points.

IC has some accommodation on campus that gets used for conferences, too.

At 01:50 +0000 12/11/07, James Farrar wrote:
>On 11/11/2007, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  So, UCL, Queen Mary, UEL (all in London) and many other campus sites
>>  are excellent starting points.
>
>IC has some accommodation on campus that gets used for conferences, too.

_____________

As I recall, the cheapest option was not IC. But is a great venue.

Gordon

Appendix:

IC = Imperial College

UCL = University College London

QM = Queen Mary

UEL = University of East London

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

At 22:25 +0000 11/11/07, Gary Kirk wrote:

>I don't think we have the power to bulldoze the entire Lea Valley though :P

Why not?

>Did we or did we not establish that QM was full over the summer do
>to the OU? (I honestly can't remember/missed it)
>I have a friend at QM actually, I will try and ask her unless anyone
>else knows.

When I rang them, and emailed, they had some weeks free. But then
later Alison Wheeler said that there were full.

Shall I ask again?

Gordon
--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: People to approach to help?

Alison M. Wheeler
On Mon, November 12, 2007 14:35, Gordon Joly wrote:
> When I rang them, and emailed, they had some weeks free. But then
> later Alison Wheeler said that there were full.

My comment was a 'belief' that would likely be full, not an actual check
for 2009

Alison

At 13:38 +0000 14/11/07, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>On Mon, November 12, 2007 14:35, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>  When I rang them, and emailed, they had some weeks free. But then
>  > later Alison Wheeler said that there were full.
>
>My comment was a 'belief' that would likely be full, not an actual check
>for 2009
>
>Alison

And Queen Mary will have their 2009 schedule open for bookings in 2007?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

At 10:58 +0000 15/11/07, Gordon Joly wrote:

>At 13:38 +0000 14/11/07, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>>On Mon, November 12, 2007 14:35, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>>   When I rang them, and emailed, they had some weeks free. But then
>>   > later Alison Wheeler said that there were full.
>>
>>My comment was a 'belief' that would likely be full, not an actual check
>>for 2009
>>
>>Alison
>>

>And Queen Mary will have their 2009 schedule open for bookings in 2007?
>
>Gordo

http://www.londoneastside.co.uk/venue/186/

http://www.ccrs.qmul.ac.uk/conferences/

Should I contact them for a general enquiry for 2009?

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

On 11/18/07, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.londoneastside.co.uk/venue/186/
>
> http://www.ccrs.qmul.ac.uk/conferences/
>
> Should I contact them for a general enquiry for 2009?

Yes, absolutely! That's what this thread is about. :-)

Cormac