Phabricator search

MZMcBride-2
Hi.

Phabricator search is currently pretty bad:
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T75854>.

We should already be wary of putting all our eggs in the Phabricator
basket. Search is hugely important to an issue tracker and code
repository, so if we're going to continue growing Phabricator, we need to
figure out short-term and long-term solutions for Phabricator search.

Perhaps if Titan/Wikidata Query Service development is on hold, Nik could
investigate this? Or perhaps dropping Elasticsearch for now in favor of
the built-in search would be better? Thoughts, suggestions, etc. welcome.

MZMcBride

Re: Phabricator search

Erik Moeller-4
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 7:50 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps if Titan/Wikidata Query Service development is on hold, Nik could
> investigate this?

Not really on hold - just looking at alternatives to Titan. But this
is a pretty critical issue for all our dev workflows, so really would
appreciate help from our search gurus in resolving it.

Erik
--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Phabricator search

Bryan Davis
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 8:50 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Phabricator search is currently pretty bad:
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T75854>.
>
> We should already be wary of putting all our eggs in the Phabricator
> basket. Search is hugely important to an issue tracker and code
> repository, so if we're going to continue growing Phabricator, we need to
> figure out short-term and long-term solutions for Phabricator search.
>
> Perhaps if Titan/Wikidata Query Service development is on hold, Nik could
> investigate this? Or perhaps dropping Elasticsearch for now in favor of
> the built-in search would be better? Thoughts, suggestions, etc. welcome.

^d was looking into this a bit today based on some reports that came
in on irc. He's been working actively with the upstream to make their
Elasticsearch integration better already and is now assigned to the
Release Engineering team that helped bootstrap the Phabricator install
so I'd expect he will continue to be interested in improvements.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA

Re: Phabricator search

Chad
On Thu Feb 05 2015 at 9:54:41 PM Bryan Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 8:50 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Phabricator search is currently pretty bad:
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T75854>.
> >
> > We should already be wary of putting all our eggs in the Phabricator
> > basket. Search is hugely important to an issue tracker and code
> > repository, so if we're going to continue growing Phabricator, we need to
> > figure out short-term and long-term solutions for Phabricator search.
> >
> > Perhaps if Titan/Wikidata Query Service development is on hold, Nik could
> > investigate this? Or perhaps dropping Elasticsearch for now in favor of
> > the built-in search would be better? Thoughts, suggestions, etc. welcome.
>
> ^d was looking into this a bit today based on some reports that came
> in on irc. He's been working actively with the upstream to make their
> Elasticsearch integration better already and is now assigned to the
> Release Engineering team that helped bootstrap the Phabricator install
> so I'd expect he will continue to be interested in improvements.

Actually I give up. I couldn't get it right yesterday and I really don't
have the time to pour into it.

Let's just use the SQL-backed search for now. We know it works.

If someone has the time down the road to play with Elastic integration
I'm totally in favor of such efforts because it really is a nicer tool for
search than a database :p

-Chad

Re: Phabricator search

MZMcBride-2
Erik Moeller wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 7:50 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Perhaps if Titan/Wikidata Query Service development is on hold, Nik
>>could investigate this?
>
>Not really on hold - just looking at alternatives to Titan. But this
>is a pretty critical issue for all our dev workflows, so really would
>appreciate help from our search gurus in resolving it.

Development workflows and operations workflows now that RT has been
migrated to Phabricator. We've now committed pretty heavily to maintaining
our Phabricator installation. :-)

MZMcBride