Picture of the Year 2015 Results

Steinsplitter Wiki-2
Dear Wikimedians,

The tenth Picture of the Year competition (2015) has ended and we are pleased to announce the results:
In both rounds, people voted for their favorite media files.
  • In Round 1, there were 1322 candidate images.
  • In the second round, people voted for the 56 finalists (the R1 top 30 overall and top 2 in each category).

We congratulate the winners of the contest and thank them for creating these beautiful media files and sharing them as freely licensed content:
  1. 658 people voted for the winner, File:Pluto-01 Stern 03 Pluto Color TXT.jpg (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pluto-01_Stern_03_Pluto_Color_TXT.jpg)
  2. In second place, 617 people voted for File:Nasir-al molk -1.jpg (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nasir-al_molk_-1.jpg)
  3. In third place, 582 people voted for File:Heavens Above Her.jpg (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Heavens_Above_Her.jpg)

See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2015/Results to view the top images »

We also sincerely thank to all voters for participating. We invite you to continue to participate in the Commons community by sharing your work.

Thanks,
Steinsplitter on behalf of the Picture of the Year committee

Re: Picture of the Year 2015 Results

Andrew Gray-3

Interesting - in order, the top twelve are:

* from a public domain source (NASA)
* from Wiki Loves Monuments
* from Flickr under a CC license
* from Wiki Loves Monuments
* a normal Commons upload
* from a public domain source (NASA)
* from Flickr under a CC license
* from Flickr under a CC license
* from Wiki Loves Earth
* made with the support of WMSE
* a normal Commons upload
* from the UK government via the Open Government License

Nice demonstration of how diverse our sources are - two 'normal' uploads, three from contests, one supported by a chapter, three from Flickr under CC, two in the public domain from NASA, and one from a government open-license release.

Andrew.

On 10 June 2016 at 17:29, Steinsplitter Wiki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Wikimedians,
>

> The tenth Picture of the Year competition (2015) has ended and we are
> pleased to announce the results:
> In both rounds, people voted for their favorite media files.
>
> In Round 1, there were 1322 candidate images.
> In the second round, people voted for the 56 finalists (the R1 top 30
> overall and top 2 in each category).
>

> We congratulate the winners of the contest and thank them for creating these
> beautiful media files and sharing them as freely licensed content:
>
> 658 people voted for the winner, File:Pluto-01 Stern 03 Pluto Color TXT.jpg
> (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pluto-01_Stern_03_Pluto_Color_TXT.jpg)
> In second place, 617 people voted for File:Nasir-al molk -1.jpg
> (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nasir-al_molk_-1.jpg)
> In third place, 582 people voted for File:Heavens Above Her.jpg
> (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Heavens_Above_Her.jpg)
>

> See
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2015/Results
> to view the top images »
>

> We also sincerely thank to all voters for participating. We invite you to
> continue to participate in the Commons community by sharing your work.
>

> Thanks,
> Steinsplitter on behalf of the Picture of the Year committee

- Andrew Gray

Re: Picture of the Year 2015 Results

Fæ
It is also interesting to note that one of these uploaders was blocked
from Commons this week, for using the same uploading tool. It can be a
pretty harsh volunteering environment where you are at the same time
praised for your work, and punished with a presumption of bad faith
and little attempt at civil discussion.

Unfortunately, our complex systems and norms do not always work so
well for non-native English speakers.

Fae