Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

Daniel Zahn-2
Hi,

this is an announcement to let you know that the service ($lang).
planet.wikimedia.org, an RSS feed aggregator for all Wikimedia related
blogs, has switched software.

You can find the English version at  https://en.planet.wikimedia.org/

Other existing languages are listed on
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org#Which_languages_exist
?

Today we moved away from planet-venus and to a newer package called
"rawdog" that does the same thing as before, fetching a bunch of RSS feed
and combining them into a single page and feed.

The reason is that planet-venus has been dropped in Debian stable (stretch)
because it was unmaintained, so we had to find an alternative to be able to
upgrade the underlying servers to a current OS version.

If you never heard of planet, here you can find more info:

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org

If you already use it but just subscribe to the "feed of feeds" then
nothing should change for you.

(Though note that we support RSS 2.0 but not a separate Atom feed anymore.
We are redirecting the old atom.xml URL to the new (and old) URL rss20.xml.)

If you already use it and look at the web UI, enjoy the new theme that
Paladox imported from KDE to make it look about 150% better than before.
(thanks to him for that theming work!)

We also applied patches to make it look more like our former planet for a
smooth transition.  A "wmf1" package has been built and uploaded at
https://apt.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/pool/main/r/rawdog/

If you want to know more about "rawdog":

https://offog.org/code/rawdog/
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rawdog

If you want to add your blog feed, feel free to upload changes or just drop
me a mail.

Bugs can be reported here:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/413/

Tickets are:  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T180498 ,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T168490

Cheers,

Daniel

--
Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
Operations Engineer

Re: Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

Brion Vibber-4
On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 6:34 PM Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> this is an announcement to let you know that the service ($lang).
> planet.wikimedia.org, an RSS feed aggregator for all Wikimedia related
> blogs, has switched software.

Thanks for the maintenance!

> Today we moved away from planet-venus and to a newer package called
> "rawdog" that does the same thing as before, fetching a bunch of RSS feed
> and combining them into a single page and feed.

... Well, that's a bit of an unfortunate name. o_O

-- brion

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 6:57 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... Well, that's a bit of an unfortunate name. o_O

:p  "rawdog is an RSS Aggregator Without Delusions Of Grandeur"

On Wed, May 30, 2018, 7:22 PM Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 6:57 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > ... Well, that's a bit of an unfortunate name. o_O
> >

> :p  "rawdog is an RSS Aggregator Without Delusions Of Grandeur"

Perhaps. I would probably recommend googling software names for common
alternate meanings before choosing to put them in a public-facing role,
though.

-- brion

Re: Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

David Cuenca Tudela
Hi Daniel,

I like the new design, however I am missing some information about the
source of each post. Would it be possible to add the source website to each
post?

And another more general question I have is, could the Planet be linked
from the Wikimedia blog? I feel that it is quite hidden now, so by linking
it from the blog maybe it would gain visibility.

Regards,
Micru

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 3:33 AM, Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is an announcement to let you know that the service ($lang).
> planet.wikimedia.org, an RSS feed aggregator for all Wikimedia related
> blogs, has switched software.
>
> You can find the English version at  https://en.planet.wikimedia.org/
>
> Other existing languages are listed on
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org#
> Which_languages_exist
> ?
>
> Today we moved away from planet-venus and to a newer package called
> "rawdog" that does the same thing as before, fetching a bunch of RSS feed
> and combining them into a single page and feed.
>
> The reason is that planet-venus has been dropped in Debian stable (stretch)
> because it was unmaintained, so we had to find an alternative to be able to
> upgrade the underlying servers to a current OS version.
>
> If you never heard of planet, here you can find more info:
>
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org
>
> If you already use it but just subscribe to the "feed of feeds" then
> nothing should change for you.
>
> (Though note that we support RSS 2.0 but not a separate Atom feed anymore.
> We are redirecting the old atom.xml URL to the new (and old) URL
> rss20.xml.)
>
> If you already use it and look at the web UI, enjoy the new theme that
> Paladox imported from KDE to make it look about 150% better than before.
> (thanks to him for that theming work!)
>
> We also applied patches to make it look more like our former planet for a
> smooth transition.  A "wmf1" package has been built and uploaded at
> https://apt.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/pool/main/r/rawdog/
>
> If you want to know more about "rawdog":
>
> https://offog.org/code/rawdog/
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rawdog
>
> If you want to add your blog feed, feel free to upload changes or just drop
> me a mail.
>
> Bugs can be reported here:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/413/
>
> Tickets are:  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T180498 ,
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T168490
>
> Cheers,
>
> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
> Operations Engineer

Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Re: Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

Andre Klapper-2
Hi,

On Thu, 2018-05-31 at 11:08 +0200, David Cuenca Tudela wrote:
> I like the new design, however I am missing some information about the
> source of each post. Would it be possible to add the source website to each
> post?

The source website is linked from the date header.

> And another more general question I have is, could the Planet be linked
> from the Wikimedia blog? I feel that it is quite hidden now, so by linking
> it from the blog maybe it would gain visibility.

That's a question for the blog maintainers that you could file at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/?projects=Wikimedia-Blog

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

David Cuenca Tudela
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Andre Klapper <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The source website is linked from the date header.

I'm aware of that, but in my opinion that is not visible enough.

> That's a question for the blog maintainers that you could file at
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/
> 1/?projects=Wikimedia-Blog

 Thanks for the pointer. Done:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T196069

Regards,
Micru

Re: Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

Paladox
 Hi, something like ⇪ Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 14.45.05.png ?

|  |
⇪ Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 14.45.05.png

⇪ Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 14.45.05.png

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 9:58 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I would probably recommend googling software names for common
> alternate meanings

Fair enough. yea, i wasn't really aware / noticed this.
Though i think we might have a Barbara-Streisand-effect and now everybody
looked it up.

> before choosing to put them in a public-facing role,

The end-user isn't really exposed to it besides a small "powered by" link
at the bottom. Also not the name of the puppet module,
just a package name in Debian.  Not like we are running rawdog.wikimedia or
anything.

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 2:08 AM, David Cuenca Tudela <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I like the new design

:) It's from Planet KDE and customized.  Paladox did that.  Files are here:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/435327/

> missing some information about the source of each post.

Please see the screenshot Paladox just sent. Is that what you meant?

>  could the Planet be linked from the Wikimedia blog

Sure, i'm all for that. As Andre pointed out this would be something for
people maintaining the blog though. That is hosted outside our
infrastructure and i don't personally have access to that.

--
Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
Operations Engineer

Re: Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

Sam Wilson
At the hackathon last week I had a play with setting up a similar thing
just for MediaWiki feeds:

https://tools-static.wmflabs.org/mediawiki-feeds/

On 31/05/18 09:33, Daniel Zahn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is an announcement to let you know that the service ($lang).
> planet.wikimedia.org, an RSS feed aggregator for all Wikimedia related
> blogs, has switched software.
>
> You can find the English version at  https://en.planet.wikimedia.org/
>
> Other existing languages are listed on
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org#Which_languages_exist
> ?
>
> Today we moved away from planet-venus and to a newer package called
> "rawdog" that does the same thing as before, fetching a bunch of RSS feed
> and combining them into a single page and feed.
>
> The reason is that planet-venus has been dropped in Debian stable (stretch)
> because it was unmaintained, so we had to find an alternative to be able to
> upgrade the underlying servers to a current OS version.
>
> If you never heard of planet, here you can find more info:
>
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org
>
> If you already use it but just subscribe to the "feed of feeds" then
> nothing should change for you.
>
> (Though note that we support RSS 2.0 but not a separate Atom feed anymore.
> We are redirecting the old atom.xml URL to the new (and old) URL rss20.xml.)
>
> If you already use it and look at the web UI, enjoy the new theme that
> Paladox imported from KDE to make it look about 150% better than before.
> (thanks to him for that theming work!)
>
> We also applied patches to make it look more like our former planet for a
> smooth transition.  A "wmf1" package has been built and uploaded at
> https://apt.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/pool/main/r/rawdog/
>
> If you want to know more about "rawdog":
>
> https://offog.org/code/rawdog/
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rawdog
>
> If you want to add your blog feed, feel free to upload changes or just drop
> me a mail.
>
> Bugs can be reported here:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/413/
>
> Tickets are:  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T180498 ,
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T168490
>
> Cheers,
>
> Daniel

Re: Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

Daniel Zahn-2
Nice. Let's add these MediaWiki feeds to the en.planet feeds, assuming they
are all English and since Mediawiki is like
a subgroup of Wikimedia.

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 3:53 AM, Sam Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At the hackathon last week I had a play with setting up a similar thing
> just for MediaWiki feeds:
>
> https://tools-static.wmflabs.org/mediawiki-feeds/
>

> On 31/05/18 09:33, Daniel Zahn wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is an announcement to let you know that the service ($lang).
>> planet.wikimedia.org, an RSS feed aggregator for all Wikimedia related
>> blogs, has switched software.
>>
>> You can find the English version at  https://en.planet.wikimedia.org/
>>
>> Other existing languages are listed on
>> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org#Whi
>> ch_languages_exist
>> ?
>>
>> Today we moved away from planet-venus and to a newer package called
>> "rawdog" that does the same thing as before, fetching a bunch of RSS feed
>> and combining them into a single page and feed.
>>
>> The reason is that planet-venus has been dropped in Debian stable
>> (stretch)
>> because it was unmaintained, so we had to find an alternative to be able
>> upgrade the underlying servers to a current OS version.
>>
>> If you never heard of planet, here you can find more info:
>>
>> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org
>>
>> If you already use it but just subscribe to the "feed of feeds" then
>> nothing should change for you.
>>
>> (Though note that we support RSS 2.0 but not a separate Atom feed anymore.
>> We are redirecting the old atom.xml URL to the new (and old) URL
>> rss20.xml.)
>>
>> If you already use it and look at the web UI, enjoy the new theme that
>> Paladox imported from KDE to make it look about 150% better than before.
>> (thanks to him for that theming work!)
>>
>> We also applied patches to make it look more like our former planet for a
>> smooth transition.  A "wmf1" package has been built and uploaded at
>> https://apt.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/pool/main/r/rawdog/
>>
>> If you want to know more about "rawdog":
>>
>> https://offog.org/code/rawdog/
>> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rawdog
>>
>> If you want to add your blog feed, feel free to upload changes or just
>> drop
>> me a mail.
>>
>> Bugs can be reported here:
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/413/
>>
>> Tickets are:  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T180498 ,
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T168490
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Daniel

Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
Operations Engineer

Re: Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

Sam Wilson
Good idea for some of them, but I'm not sure everyone wants to read the
latest Stack Exchange and Reddit posts with random questions about
MediaWiki. Although, it's not like the planet gets *all* that many posts
a day at the moment, so perhaps it'd be okay?

On 02/06/18 23:12, Daniel Zahn wrote:

> Nice. Let's add these MediaWiki feeds to the en.planet feeds, assuming they
> are all English and since Mediawiki is like
> a subgroup of Wikimedia.
>
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 3:53 AM, Sam Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> At the hackathon last week I had a play with setting up a similar thing
>> just for MediaWiki feeds:
>>
>> https://tools-static.wmflabs.org/mediawiki-feeds/
>>

>> On 31/05/18 09:33, Daniel Zahn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> this is an announcement to let you know that the service ($lang).
>>> planet.wikimedia.org, an RSS feed aggregator for all Wikimedia related
>>> blogs, has switched software.
>>>
>>> You can find the English version at  https://en.planet.wikimedia.org/
>>>
>>> Other existing languages are listed on
>>> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org#Whi
>>> ch_languages_exist
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Today we moved away from planet-venus and to a newer package called
>>> "rawdog" that does the same thing as before, fetching a bunch of RSS feed
>>> and combining them into a single page and feed.
>>>
>>> The reason is that planet-venus has been dropped in Debian stable
>>> (stretch)
>>> because it was unmaintained, so we had to find an alternative to be able
>>> upgrade the underlying servers to a current OS version.
>>>
>>> If you never heard of planet, here you can find more info:
>>>
>>> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet.wikimedia.org
>>>
>>> If you already use it but just subscribe to the "feed of feeds" then
>>> nothing should change for you.
>>>
>>> (Though note that we support RSS 2.0 but not a separate Atom feed anymore.
>>> We are redirecting the old atom.xml URL to the new (and old) URL
>>> rss20.xml.)
>>>
>>> If you already use it and look at the web UI, enjoy the new theme that
>>> Paladox imported from KDE to make it look about 150% better than before.
>>> (thanks to him for that theming work!)
>>>
>>> We also applied patches to make it look more like our former planet for a
>>> smooth transition.  A "wmf1" package has been built and uploaded at
>>> https://apt.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/pool/main/r/rawdog/
>>>
>>> If you want to know more about "rawdog":
>>>
>>> https://offog.org/code/rawdog/
>>> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rawdog
>>>
>>> If you want to add your blog feed, feel free to upload changes or just
>>> drop
>>> me a mail.
>>>
>>> Bugs can be reported here:
>>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/413/
>>>
>>> Tickets are:  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T180498 ,
>>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T168490
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Daniel

Re: Planet Wikimedia using new software "rawdog"

Daniel Zahn-2
I made a ticket for it to check which ones we may want and which we don't.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T196231

Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
Operations Engineer