Platforma Obywatelska photos now available on Commons

Platforma Obywatelska photos now available on Commons

Russavia
Hi all,

With the kind assistance of Hortensja, Odder and Saper, I have finally
managed to convince Platforma Obywatelska to relicence their Flickr stream
to CC-BY-SA.[1]

I have begun to upload their Flickr stream (around 3,300 photos in total)
to Commons,[2] but there are still around 1,000 images to go which will
need some additional attention due to issues with f2c.

Aside from getting these images in use, assistance will be needed to
categorise these images appropriately. With descriptions being in Polish,
and not being totally familiar with Polish politics, it is a little
difficult for me to do this alone.

All images which need categorisation can be found in a holding category.[3]
If interested parties would like to help with these images, it would be
appreciated, and once categorised, the "check needed" category can be
removed from the file.

If uploading images from their Flickr stream to Commons, please be sure to
include the organisation category to all uploads, as this will allow us to
see all Platforma images on Commons, and also help them to see where images
are in use across our projects in the future.[4]

Cheers

Russavia

[1] https://www.flickr.com/photos/platformaobywatelskarp
[2]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Photographs_by_Platforma_Obywatelska
[3]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Photographs_by_Platforma_Obywatelska_(check_needed)
[4] http://bit.ly/platformacommons

Re: Platforma Obywatelska photos now available on Commons

Tomasz Ganicz
Great,

Although there is a privacy  concern regarding some of those pictures.
There are plenty of pictures of people randomly taken on streets in
some polital context such as:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:25.09.2011,_Malbork_%286185793645%29.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%22Polska_w_budowie%22_na_Dolnym_%C5%9Al%C4%85sku_%286029037102%29.jpg

and also some pictures of children:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kutno_jest_stolic%C4%85_polskiego_baseball%27u_%286169383031%29.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%22Polska_w_budowie%22_w_Olsztynie_zainteresowa%C5%82a_nawet_najm%C5%82odszych_%286072138505%29.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:B%C5%82%C4%99kitna_Sobota_w_Rybniku_%286124221710%29.jpg

According to Polish law, publishing such pictures requires agreement
of portrayed persons, if they are not
commonly known, public figures. We should at least mark these pictures
as subject of this regulation. I don't think if the PO party has these
agreements...

> Hi all,
>
> With the kind assistance of Hortensja, Odder and Saper, I have finally
> managed to convince Platforma Obywatelska to relicence their Flickr stream
> to CC-BY-SA.[1]
>
> I have begun to upload their Flickr stream (around 3,300 photos in total)
> to Commons,[2] but there are still around 1,000 images to go which will
> need some additional attention due to issues with f2c.
>
> Aside from getting these images in use, assistance will be needed to
> categorise these images appropriately. With descriptions being in Polish,
> and not being totally familiar with Polish politics, it is a little
> difficult for me to do this alone.
>
> All images which need categorisation can be found in a holding category.[3]
> If interested parties would like to help with these images, it would be
> appreciated, and once categorised, the "check needed" category can be
> removed from the file.
>
> If uploading images from their Flickr stream to Commons, please be sure to
> include the organisation category to all uploads, as this will allow us to
> see all Platforma images on Commons, and also help them to see where images
> are in use across our projects in the future.[4]
>
> Cheers
>
> Russavia
>
> [1] https://www.flickr.com/photos/platformaobywatelskarp
> [2]
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Photographs_by_Platforma_Obywatelska
> [3]
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Photographs_by_Platforma_Obywatelska_(check_needed)
> [4] http://bit.ly/platformacommons

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: Platforma Obywatelska photos now available on Commons

Tomasz Ganicz
The another thing is autorship of all these pictures. Currently they
are desribed as taken by "Platforma Obywatelska RP from Polska".
Actually party cannot be an author. The author is a photographer, who
worked for the party. Again: according to Polish law - in order to
legally publish something as an anonymous work - there is a need for
agreement from author. Otherwise there is an obligation to mention
his/her authorship. I wonder if the PO has such agreements.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/