Please help test geolocation

Erik Moeller-4
Hello all,

we're experimenting with geolocation tools. For the purpose of
supporting the coordination of meetups and events, we want to add
functionality that will make it easy to run banners in a particular
region (e.g. a city and surrounding area).

To do so, we need to license a database that will allow us to look up
a person's presumed location based on their IP address. Before we do
so, we want to gather some reports from around the world about the
quality of the information provided.

To help out, please visit:
http://www.maxmind.com/app/mylocation

And then report your results at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MaxMindCityTesting

Thanks for any and all help,

Erik
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Please help test geolocation

Arun Ramarathnam
Eric,

It seems to work with a 12 km diff.
Meta page has been updated with the results.

regards
Arun

[...]

Arun,
Looks like both of us received the same co-ordinates from MaxMind :)

Regards
Tinu Cherian

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Arun Ram <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ravishankar-3
Eric,

Good tool.

Can this be used to display banners country wide or state wide?

Many Indian Wikipedian users don't even know about the existance of regional language Wikipedias. So, if we can display a banner at the top giving links to regional Wikipedias, it will greatly boost the awareness about them. Sites like WordPress.com do this already.

Ravi

2010/8/10 Ravishankar <[hidden email]>:
> Eric,
> Good tool.
> Can this be used to display banners country wide or state wide?
> Many Indian Wikipedian users don't even know about the existance of regional
> language Wikipedias. So, if we can display a banner at the top giving links
> to regional Wikipedias, it will greatly boost the awareness about them.
> Sites like WordPress.com do this already.

The goal is to develop the capability for countrywide banners at
minimum, and we're testing the database to see if we can target
smaller regions as well. Yes, making the existence of language
versions known is one possible use. :-)

Feel free to leave comments/questions on the talk page for the project
holding page:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Central_Notice_Phase2
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Please help test geolocation

BalaSundaraRaman
Ravi,
Good idea. It identifies Bangalore and Karnataka correctly. Can you click on the link and verify whether it shows Kovai correctly?

Sundar from mobile

On Wed Aug 11th, 2010 11:15 AM IST Ravishankar wrote:

>Eric,
>
>Good tool.
>
>Can this be used to display banners country wide or state wide?
>
>Many Indian Wikipedian users don't even know about the existance of regional
>language Wikipedias. So, if we can display a banner at the top giving links
>to regional Wikipedias, it will greatly boost the awareness about them.
>Sites like WordPress.com do this already.
>
>Ravi
>
>On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> we're experimenting with geolocation tools. For the purpose of
>> supporting the coordination of meetups and events, we want to add
>> functionality that will make it easy to run banners in a particular
>> region (e.g. a city and surrounding area).
>>
>> To do so, we need to license a database that will allow us to look up
>> a person's presumed location based on their IP address. Before we do
>> so, we want to gather some reports from around the world about the
>> quality of the information provided.
>>
>> To help out, please visit:
>> http://www.maxmind.com/app/mylocation
>>
>> And then report your results at:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MaxMindCityTesting
>>
>> Thanks for any and all help,
>>
>> Erik
>> --
>> Erik Möller
>> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: Please help test geolocation

Srikanth Lakshmanan

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM, BalaSundaraRaman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ravi,
Good idea. It identifies Bangalore and Karnataka correctly. Can you click on the link and verify whether it shows Kovai correctly?

Sundar from mobile

While all works well with fixed line broadband connections. IPs from mobile just provide the country. I have tried 3 providers' GPRS and all of them only give country level info.

Regards,
Srikanth L

Re: Please help test geolocation

Shalabh-3
Does not work for me, have updated the wiki testing page. It showed me
163 km SE of my actual location.

Shalabh

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Srikanth Lakshmanan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM, BalaSundaraRaman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Ravi,
>> Good idea. It identifies Bangalore and Karnataka correctly. Can you click
>> on the link and verify whether it shows Kovai correctly?
>>
>> Sundar from mobile
>
> While all works well with fixed line broadband connections. IPs from mobile
> just provide the country. I have tried 3 providers' GPRS and all of them
> only give country level info.
> Regards,
> Srikanth L

Re: Please help test geolocation

Prashanth NS

It gets the city wrong in the case of Antwerp, Belgium. Updated results on the site. Wonder if this is an isolated problem only with me, cos I was accessing through my Uni. But, if it happens even outside then it is off by about 50+ km!

Have updated the meta page with the results.

Regards,
Prashanth
> Hello all,
>
> we're experimenting with geolocation tools. For the purpose of
> supporting the coordination of meetups and events, we want to add
> functionality that will make it easy to run banners in a particular
> region (e.g. a city and surrounding area).
>
> To do so, we need to license a database that will allow us to look up
> a person's presumed location based on their IP address. Before we do
> so, we want to gather some reports from around the world about the
> quality of the information provided.
>
> To help out, please visit:
> http://www.maxmind.com/app/mylocation
>
> And then report your results at:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MaxMindCityTesting
>
> Thanks for any and all help,
>
> Erik
> --
> Erik M?ller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--
Prashanth N S
Faculty, Institute of Public Health, Bangalore

web @ http://daktre.com
@prashanthns on twitter
photos @ http://flickr.com/photos/biligiri

Re: Please help test geolocation

Kul Wadhwa
I'm in Mexico City and it's fairly accurate here (on fixed broadband and
mobile), only a few kilometers off. However, most of Mexico's
infrastructure is in Mexico City (it's 5 times larger than the next
largest city). I will ping some people in Mexico in the other regions
and see what they come up with.

I'll update the meta page with my results.

--Kul

On 8/11/10 12:42 AM, Prashanth NS wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It gets the city wrong in the case of Antwerp, Belgium. Updated results
> on the site. Wonder if this is an isolated problem only with me, cos I
> was accessing through my Uni. But, if it happens even outside then it is
> off by about 50+ km!
>
> Have updated the meta page with the results.
>
> Regards,
> Prashanth
>
>      > Hello all,
>      >
>      > we're experimenting with geolocation tools. For the purpose of
>      > supporting the coordination of meetups and events, we want to add
>      > functionality that will make it easy to run banners in a particular
>      > region (e.g. a city and surrounding area).
>      >
>      > To do so, we need to license a database that will allow us to look up
>      > a person's presumed location based on their IP address. Before we do
>      > so, we want to gather some reports from around the world about the
>      > quality of the information provided.
>      >
>      > To help out, please visit:
>      > http://www.maxmind.com/app/mylocation
>      >
>      > And then report your results at:
>      > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MaxMindCityTesting
>      >
>      > Thanks for any and all help,
>      >
>      > Erik
>      > --
>      > Erik M?ller
>      > Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation
>      >
>      > Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
>      >
>      > Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>      >
>     -------------- next part --------------
>     An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> --
> Prashanth N S
> Faculty, Institute of Public Health, Bangalore
> Asst. Director (Research), Karuna Trust & VGKK
>
> web @ http://daktre.com
> @prashanthns on twitter
> photos @ http://flickr.com/photos/biligiri

Re: Please help test geolocation

Yann Forget-3
Hello,

I tested it from Delhi and the result was good.
However from Gwalior, it puts me in Madras/Chennai.
Not good at all: not the same city, not the same state, and not even
the same language.

Regards,

Yann

2010/8/10 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:

> Hello all,
>
> we're experimenting with geolocation tools. For the purpose of
> supporting the coordination of meetups and events, we want to add
> functionality that will make it easy to run banners in a particular
> region (e.g. a city and surrounding area).
>
> To do so, we need to license a database that will allow us to look up
> a person's presumed location based on their IP address. Before we do
> so, we want to gather some reports from around the world about the
> quality of the information provided.
>
> To help out, please visit:
> http://www.maxmind.com/app/mylocation
>
> And then report your results at:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MaxMindCityTesting
>
> Thanks for any and all help,
>
> Erik
> --
> Erik Möller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Please help test geolocation

Casey Brown-5
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tested it from Delhi and the result was good.
> However from Gwalior, it puts me in Madras/Chennai.
> Not good at all: not the same city, not the same state, and not even
> the same language.

Did you put your results on the page?
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MaxMindCityTesting>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

2010/8/17 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I tested it from Delhi and the result was good.
>> However from Gwalior, it puts me in Madras/Chennai.
>> Not good at all: not the same city, not the same state, and not even
>> the same language.
>>

> Did you put your results on the page?
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MaxMindCityTesting>

Yes.