Please help us translate the November 2011 Editor Survey

Please help us translate the November 2011 Editor Survey

Ayush Khanna
Hi all,

The questionnaire for the November 2011 Editor Survey - the second semi-annual Editor Survey conducted by the Wikimedia Foundation, is now ready. This edition of the survey will serve as a longitudinal study, and will help us understand the changes in editor demographics, needs and experiences.

We are hoping to offer the survey in 19 languages: Arabic, Catalan, Danish, German, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Hebrew, Croatian, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese Traditional and Chinese Simplified. Since we have limited resources to program the survey in multiple languages, we used the data from the previous survey to arrive at this list. Please help us by translating the survey to all these languages! The meta page is located at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/Translation

In addition, the Survey Banner remains unchanged from the previous iteration of the survey, except for the addition of the word "Second". The meta page, with the last survey's translations in place, can be found at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice. Of course, for the banner, we welcome translations in all languages.

We are aiming to launch the survey by the third week of November, so it would be great if it were possible to have translations completed by the hard deadline of Monday, November 14.

Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please contact me.

Ayush Khanna
Data Analyst, Global Development

PS: To learn more about the survey, and the choice of languages, read the FAQ at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011

Re: Please help us translate the November 2011 Editor Survey

Olli-6
Hi,
Finnish wikipedia does not have wikilove/Article feedbck tool.
What should I use in that?

Q6

Olli

2011/11/2 Ayush Khanna <[hidden email]>
[...]

Mani Pande
Hi Olli,
It might be best to skip from Q4b to Q7a, and we can take it into account while programming.
Mani

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Olli <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Siebrand Mazeland
> It might be best to skip from Q4b to Q7a, and we can take it into account
> while programming.
> Mani
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Olli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Finnish wikipedia does not have wikilove/Article feedbck tool.
>> What should I use in that?

Not sure how the survey will be held, but what if a native Finnish speaker
is answering the survey about their work on English langauge Wikipedia,
with the survey language in Finnish? Then those questions would need to be
translated...

Siebrand

Re: Please help us translate the November 2011 Editor Survey

Olli-6
@Siebrand Mazeland
Thats´issue that can happen in all lang  version

@Mani
Ok, thanks

Olli

2011/11/2 Siebrand Mazeland <[hidden email]>
> It might be best to skip from Q4b to Q7a, and we can take it into account
> while programming.
> Mani
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Olli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Finnish wikipedia does not have wikilove/Article feedbck tool.
>> What should I use in that?

Not sure how the survey will be held, but what if a native Finnish speaker
is answering the survey about their work on English langauge Wikipedia,
with the survey language in Finnish? Then those questions would need to be
translated...

Siebrand

Re: Please help us translate the November 2011 Editor Survey

Mani Pande
Hi Siebrand,

We have two options:
1. Have a Finnish Wikipedian answer a question that is not applicable to them. There will be few who might edit other language Wikipedias, but many will not. I am a strong believer that we should present questions that are primarily applicable, although there will always be some that are not.  We should try and make it as easy and simple as possible for the respondents.
2. Skip this question for Finnish, and we would get enough responses from this question from other respondents who have used this tool more often.
I am in favor of the second option :) But if there is a strong case for option number 1, I am open to it :)

Thanks for understanding
Mani

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Siebrand Mazeland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It might be best to skip from Q4b to Q7a, and we can take it into account
> while programming.
> Mani
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Olli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Finnish wikipedia does not have wikilove/Article feedbck tool.
>> What should I use in that?

Not sure how the survey will be held, but what if a native Finnish speaker
is answering the survey about their work on English langauge Wikipedia,
with the survey language in Finnish? Then those questions would need to be
translated...

Siebrand

Re: Please help us translate the November 2011 Editor Survey

Ayush Khanna
Hello again,

Firstly, thank you very much for your help with the translations so far. Our efforts to reach out to as many members of the Wikipedia community as possible can only be realized because of the time and effort that you have put in.

We require some assistance in ensuring that the translations are ready for use in the survey.
- For Danish, German, Spanish, Finnish and Dutch, some of the questions need to be translated
- For French, Italian, Serbo-Croatian, Chinese Traditional and Chinese Simplified, surveys are complete but need to be proofread

We are hoping to have translations ready by Monday, 21 November. Once again, the meta link is at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/Translation

Thank you for your support.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Ayush Khanna <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Philippe Verdy
After checking the Arabic translation here
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/ar
It looks like there are serious formatting problems. Notably caused by
the directionality of text :

- incorrect use of punctuation signs (notably the incorrect mirrored
question mark, used at the begining of lines)
- answer item numbered with Latin letters have had their letters
translitterated to Arabic. Is it expected ? Are those letters part of
the visible answer ?

Additionally, the wikitext editor on Meta still does not have the
feature of allowing the whole edit window (the textarea form) swapped
forth and back  (with a clickable icon or keyboard shortcut) from the
default LTR directionality (with lines starting by default on the left
margin) to the RTL directionality (with lines starting by default on
the right margin). This is absolutely needed to get the correct BiDi
layout and to ease the text editing.

The only remaining option is to try a preview, but this does not work
in the preview because paragraphs always start with the same default
margin, and then try to autodetermine their starting direction from
the first character of the paragraph that sets a strong direction
(letters or digits: OK; punctuation signs : no) in order to resolve
the direction of the first characters and where to layout them
according to the rest of the line (but the leading numbering of
questions and answer items forces another guess, even if the start
margin has already been set externally).

Really, this page would have been much easier to translate to RTL
languages like Arabic and Hebrew, if it had used the Translator
extension, where the general page layout was fixed and only the true
parts to translate had been included in translatable resources.

2011/11/19 Ayush Khanna <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice.
>> Of course, for the banner, we welcome translations in all languages.
>> We are aiming to launch the survey by the third week of November, so it
>> would be great if it were possible to have translations completed by the
>> hard deadline of Monday, November 14.
>> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns,
>> please contact me.
>> Ayush Khanna
>> Data Analyst, Global Development
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> 415.839.6885 x6805
>> PS: To learn more about the survey, and the choice of languages, read the
>> at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011

Re: Please help us translate the November 2011 Editor Survey

Gerard Meijssen-4
Hoi,
When you use the Translate extension, issues like with RTL languages like Arabic will either not exist or they will be  taken very seriously by the Localisation team. Other advantages are that when a text need some change to accommodate last minute changes it will be really obvious what needs changing.
Thanks,
      GerardM