Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Ayush Khanna
Hi all,

We have finished programming the Second 2011 Editor Survey in 15 languages, with the Japanese programming still in-progress. Once again, thanks for your help with all the translations.

Re: Japanese, there was an internal mix-up, due to which a Japanese translation request was not setup on the Meta hub. To meet our deadline to launch the survey this Thursday, we had to hire a professional translator at the last minute. We will be sharing the translation on this thread as soon as it is ready, and would like the Japanese community to provide feedback on the translated survey.

Please help us test the translations:

We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the next day.

Please let us know if everything looks fine.

Side-note:
[1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update, should only take a few seconds - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant

Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please contact me.

Ayush Khanna
Data Analyst, Global Development

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Gergő Tisza
Ayush Khanna <akhanna <at> wikimedia.org> writes:
> Please let us know if everything looks fine.

This is not related to the translation, but usability-wise the survey is
surprisingly bad (no backward navigation, languages ordered by ISO code,
pointless ordering controls for multiselect, no language/country guessing at
all, broken progress bar etc). Is this the final interface?

Tisza Gergo <gtisza <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Ayush Khanna <akhanna <at> wikimedia.org> writes:
> > Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> This is not related to the translation, but usability-wise the survey is
> surprisingly bad (no backward navigation, languages ordered by ISO code,
> pointless ordering controls for multiselect, no language/country guessing at
> all, broken progress bar etc). Is this the final interface?

Translation-related issues:
- error messages are in English and sometime clearly wrong (e.g. on the page
where one has to select 3 options, th error message says "selet two choices").
- Q35b seems to be missing at least in the Hungarian translation; instead Q35c
seems to be duplicated.

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Ayush Khanna

The Japanese translation is now live at: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eFdcdJKYBHiGnR2&RecipientLanguage=JA

Thanks for the feedback so far! Please keep it coming :)

Ayush Khanna

Data Analyst, Global Development

Wikimedia Foundation

415.839.6885 x6805

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Ayush Khanna <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yusuke Matsubara
Hi Ayush,

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Ayush Khanna <[hidden email]>
wrote:> The Japanese translation is now live> at:
https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eFdcdJKYBHiGnR2&RecipientLanguage=JA

Unfortunately this Japanese translation looks very bad, containing
grammatical errors and unusual expressions that require time for
Japanese speakers to understand.  If you are going to use as it is, I
would guess that this would hurt participation to the survey, as well
as the quality of the answers.

If there is any raw material of this translation available, I would
like to help improving  it.
Best,
Yusuke Matsubara
> [...]

>> We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with
>> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
>> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
>> next day.
>>
>> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>>
>> Side-note:
>> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
>> should only take a few seconds
>> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns,
>> please contact me.
>>
>> Ayush Khanna
>> Data Analyst, Global Development
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> 415.839.6885 x6805

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Ronja Addams-Moring
I would like to second Tisza's opinions below. If you have time to fix
nothing else, please fix at least the progress bar: that it is showing
around 50% completion on the first page where one arrives looks quite
unprofessional. An unprofessional look again may stop people from
responding (which is why it would be great if also the other usability
issues were addressed, at least for the next survey).

There was one language / logic mistake in the English version: the
question about why one created an account had as one alternative
"...wanted to create A new articleS"

Best of luck with the last tweaks!

Ronja

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:16 AM, Tisza Gergo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ayush Khanna <akhanna <at> wikimedia.org> writes:
>> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> This is not related to the translation, but usability-wise the survey is
> surprisingly bad (no backward navigation, languages ordered by ISO code,
> pointless ordering controls for multiselect, no language/country guessing at
> all, broken progress bar etc). Is this the final interface?

Ronja Addams-Moring
Student, researcher, translator-proofreader
Languages: English, Finnish, Swedish
E-mail: [hidden email] ; URL: http://www.iki.fi/~ronja/
Skype: ronja-am ; Mob: +358 (0)40 502 8050

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Surya Prakash-6
I want to translate Tamil. Where's it available now?

$U®¥∩
http://goo.gl/RoMyo.com
http://about.me/suryaceg

On 8 December 2011 09:57, Ronja Addams-Moring <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to second Tisza's opinions below. If you have time to fix
nothing else, please fix at least the progress bar: that it is showing
around 50% completion on the first page where one arrives looks quite
unprofessional. An unprofessional look again may stop people from
responding (which is why it would be great if also the other usability
issues were addressed, at least for the next survey).

There was one language / logic mistake in the English version: the
question about why one created an account had as one alternative
"...wanted to create A new articleS"

Best of luck with the last tweaks!

Ronja

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:16 AM, Tisza Gergo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ayush Khanna <akhanna <at> wikimedia.org> writes:
>> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> This is not related to the translation, but usability-wise the survey is
> surprisingly bad (no backward navigation, languages ordered by ISO code,
> pointless ordering controls for multiselect, no language/country guessing at
> all, broken progress bar etc). Is this the final interface?

Ronja Addams-Moring
Student, researcher, translator-proofreader
Languages: English, Finnish, Swedish
E-mail: [hidden email] ; URL: http://www.iki.fi/~ronja/
Skype: ronja-am ; Mob: +358 (0)40 502 8050

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Amir E. Aharoni
Is it just me or do all the links point to the same language?

Here's another attempt:
[...]

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

2011/12/8 Ayush Khanna <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>
> We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with
> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
> next day.
>
> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> Side-note:
> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
> should only take a few seconds
> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please
> contact me.
>
> Ayush Khanna
> Data Analyst, Global Development
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 x6805

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Philippe Beaudette-3
Hit the language selector on the top right corner.

Which means that could probably use some directions....
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with
> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
> next day.
>
> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> Side-note:
> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
> should only take a few seconds
> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please
> contact me.
>
> Ayush Khanna
> Data Analyst, Global Development
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Would it still be possible to make translation corrections?

> [...]

> We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with
> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
> next day.
>
> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> Side-note:
> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
> should only take a few seconds
> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please
> contact me.
>
> Ayush Khanna
> Data Analyst, Global Development
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 x6805

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

There's a question that says: "Below is a list of tools available for
editors. For each one, please tell us whether you find it useful."

There are two tools: WikiLove and ArticleFeedback. If i understand
correctly, ArticleFeedback is currently installed on very few
projects. What's the point of asking about it in languages in which it
is not installed?

> [...]

> We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with
> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
> next day.
>
> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> Side-note:
> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
> should only take a few seconds
> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please
> contact me.
>
> Ayush Khanna
> Data Analyst, Global Development
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 x6805

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

I hope that I can finish Tamil translation today itself. (GMT+5.30)

Can Tamil will get place in survey? Is it possible?

$U®¥∩
http://goo.gl/RoMyo.com
http://about.me/suryaceg

On 8 December 2011 11:14, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with
> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
> next day.
>
> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> Side-note:
> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
> should only take a few seconds
> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please
> contact me.
>
> Ayush Khanna
> Data Analyst, Global Development
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 x6805

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Benjamin Chen-2
I made some modification to zh-hans translation (typo fix, missing options). Please update it accordingly. Thanks.

Best regards,
[[User:Bencmq]] / Benjamin Chen

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Surya Prakash <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with
> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
> next day.
>
> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> Side-note:
> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
> should only take a few seconds
> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please
> contact me.
>
> Ayush Khanna
> Data Analyst, Global Development
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Martin Roppelt
(de) WikiLove is missspelled. Language selection is awkward. Progress
meter is always on the same value. I was told to say something to
experiences that i have never said that i have had them. (de) Helfern is
spelled wrongly Helfers. “Wie bewertest du auf einer Skala von 0 bis 10
(0 überhaupt nicht gut, 10 sehr gut) deine eigene Leistung in der
Wikimedia-Bewegung?” is there two times.

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Mani Pande
Thanks everyone,
We'll make some of the changes suggested by you.

Amir, you are right, all the links take you to English, Ayush will fix it. Based on the feedback from everyone, we have made all the questions optional so editors can skip questions that are not valid like WikiLove, and another good thing to remember is that most editors edit English Wikipedia so even if their primary Wikipedia is Hebrew they might have come across Wikilove on English. But I would still look into deleting the question for Hebrew.

Benjamin, thanks for the modification to Chinese translation, we'll make the changes.

Surya, unfortunately, we are launching the survey today so we can't run the survey in Tamil. The programming of the survey takes a few hours.

Tisza and Ronja, we'll fix the usability issues.

Giftflanze, thanks for your input.

Mani

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Benjamin Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> (Simplified): https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eFdcdJKYBHiGnR2&RecipientLanguage=ZH-S
> Chinese
> (Traditional): https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eFdcdJKYBHiGnR2&RecipientLanguage=ZH-T
>
> We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with
> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
> next day.
>
> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> Side-note:
> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
> should only take a few seconds
> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please

Mani Pande, PhD
Head of Global Development Research
Twitter: manipande Skype: manipande

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Philippe Beaudette-3
Will there be an instruction somewhere telling editors that they can skip questions?  Otherwise, making them optional doesn't do a lot of good, and I'm afraid it biases the results towards those who are technically proficient enough to bumble around and figure that out.
pb
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Mani Pande <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
> next day.
>
> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> Side-note:
> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
> should only take a few seconds
> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns, please
> contact me.
>
> Ayush Khanna
> Data Analyst, Global Development
> Wikimedia Foundation

Mani Pande, PhD
Head of Global Development Research
Twitter: manipande Skype: manipande

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

maillist
I agree with Yusuke.
Japanese translations are not enough to deploy.
I found translation page on meta:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/ja

Ayush, can we translate there?
or tell me other page we should translate if there.

thanks,
aokomoriuta

> [...]
>>> (Simplified): https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eFdcdJKYBHiGnR2&RecipientLanguage=ZH-S
>>> Chinese
>>> (Traditional): https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eFdcdJKYBHiGnR2&RecipientLanguage=ZH-T
>>>
>>> We plan to take the survey live on all language Wikipedias tomorrow, with
>>> the exception of the English Wikipedia, which will launch on Monday. This is
>>> in order to accomodate a Harvard research study that will go live in the
>>> next day.
>>>
>>> Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>>>
>>> Side-note:
>>> [1]The Chinese (Traditional) banner for the survey needs a minor update,
>>> should only take a few seconds
>>> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011/CentralNotice#zh-hant
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for your help. In case there are any questions/concerns,

  青子守歌
  aokomoriuta

  e-mail: [hidden email]
  blog: http://bgs.jpn.ph/blog/
  twitter: http://twitter.com/aokomoriuta
  jawp: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:aokomoriuta
  mixi: http://mixi.jp/show_friend.pl?id=19926155

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Xavier SMP
I have found several issues with the Catalan translation, starting with the fact that it does not appear in the selectable menu for languages so I needed to copypaste the corresponding URL. However the most important one is that I have not been able to finish it, as it keeps telling me to have only two answers in Q17 no matter how many of them I check. The other issues I have found before getting to that point are the following ones: Question Q2b is not the one in the meta translation page but a nonsense sentence. Q4b-e should have a field to fill that does not seem to work. The possible answers for Q8c and Q8d are not translated. The text of Q19 was shown but with no possible answers.
SMP

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Ayush Khanna
Tisza, thanks for your diligence.

Could you provide me with the correct translation for Q35b: "On a 0-10 scale with 0 being NOT AT ALL GOOD and 10 being EXTREMELY GOOD, how would you rate the performance of Wikimedia volunteers overall, in contributing to the Wikimedia movement?"

Thanks.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Tisza Gergo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tisza Gergo <gtisza <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Ayush Khanna <akhanna <at> wikimedia.org> writes:
> > Please let us know if everything looks fine.
>
> This is not related to the translation, but usability-wise the survey is
> surprisingly bad (no backward navigation, languages ordered by ISO code,
> pointless ordering controls for multiselect, no language/country guessing at
> all, broken progress bar etc). Is this the final interface?

Translation-related issues:
- error messages are in English and sometime clearly wrong (e.g. on the page
where one has to select 3 options, th error message says "selet two choices").
- Q35b seems to be missing at least in the Hungarian translation; instead Q35c
seems to be duplicated.

Re: Please test the Second 2011 Editor Survey

Mani Pande
Hi Aokomriuta and Yusuke,
Please find the Japanese translation here. The formatting of the Wiki page is not the best. :)
Mani