Policies on wikimediafoundation.org

MZMcBride-2
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Policies#Policies lists policies of the
Wikimedia Foundation.

Would it make sense to sub-divide these policies into sub-lists? It seems
very strange to place all of these policies next to each other in a single
list.

I thought about splitting between "Board-approved" and "Otherwise." Then I
considered splitting between "Staff-related", "Contributor-related,"
"Meetings-related,"  etc., but I wasn't so sure how many of these policies
actually (allegedly) apply to contributors (e.g., the whistleblower policy).

Any thoughts on this?

MZMcBride

Re: Policies on wikimediafoundation.org

Steven Walling
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Policies#Policies lists policies of
> the
> Wikimedia Foundation.
>
> Would it make sense to sub-divide these policies into sub-lists? It seems
> very strange to place all of these policies next to each other in a single
> list.
>
> I thought about splitting between "Board-approved" and "Otherwise." Then I
> considered splitting between "Staff-related", "Contributor-related,"
> "Meetings-related,"  etc., but I wasn't so sure how many of these policies
> actually (allegedly) apply to contributors (e.g., the whistleblower
> policy).
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> MZMcBride

I think it makes sense to better delineate what applies to different
groups. I'd help, but considering I actually have probably as little clue
as anybody else on the topic, I'm guessing it might be a good idea to ask
legal at the WMF to give us the skinny.

Steven

Re: Policies on wikimediafoundation.org

Federico Leva (Nemo)
MZMcBride, 21/01/2012 01:19:

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Policies#Policies lists policies of the
> Wikimedia Foundation.
>
> Would it make sense to sub-divide these policies into sub-lists? It seems
> very strange to place all of these policies next to each other in a single
> list.
>
> I thought about splitting between "Board-approved" and "Otherwise." Then I
> considered splitting between "Staff-related", "Contributor-related,"
> "Meetings-related,"  etc., but I wasn't so sure how many of these policies
> actually (allegedly) apply to contributors (e.g., the whistleblower policy).
>
> Any thoughts on this?

It should be easy to divide board-approved policies from legal-approved
policies and other policies (which are usually "self-policies", and are
sometimes on Meta only).

Nemo

Re: Policies on wikimediafoundation.org

phoebe ayers-3
On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> MZMcBride, 21/01/2012 01:19:
>
>> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Policies#Policies lists policies of
>> the
>> Wikimedia Foundation.
>>
>> Would it make sense to sub-divide these policies into sub-lists? It seems
>> very strange to place all of these policies next to each other in a single
>> list.
>>
>> I thought about splitting between "Board-approved" and "Otherwise." Then I
>> considered splitting between "Staff-related", "Contributor-related,"
>> "Meetings-related,"  etc., but I wasn't so sure how many of these policies
>> actually (allegedly) apply to contributors (e.g., the whistleblower
>> policy).
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>

> It should be easy to divide board-approved policies from legal-approved
> policies and other policies (which are usually "self-policies", and are
> sometimes on Meta only).
>
> Nemo

It would be, though I'm not sure that's the most useful division --
I'd imagine what most people want to know is what policies apply to
all of the global projects vs what policies apply to just the WMF vs
what policies might apply to the WMF & other wikimedia entities
(chapters and groups). It is difficult to figure out what the global
project policies are, and that is a question that comes up pretty
regularly.

I don't have much spare time right this minute to do it, but I can
lend a hand with this; having legal involved would also be helpful.

cheers,
phoebe

Re: Policies on wikimediafoundation.org

Jesse (Pathoschild)
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 19:38, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it makes sense to better delineate what applies to different
> groups.

Agreed. A good starting point is the navigation template for
Board-approved policies, which distinguishes between global policies
(like the licensing policy) and staff policies (like the credit card
usage policy): https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Policy-board
.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse (Pathoschild)

Re: Policies on wikimediafoundation.org

Sam Klein
On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Jesse (Pathoschild)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 19:38, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think it makes sense to better delineate what applies to different
>> groups.
>
> Agreed. A good starting point is the navigation template for
> Board-approved policies, which distinguishes between global policies
> (like the licensing policy) and staff policies (like the credit card
> usage policy): https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Policy-board

Yes.  I just split the policy template into -board and -staff to
suggest which group is effectively maintaining that policy.  Some
staff policies started life via a Board resolution when the staff was
small, but should now be maintanied by staff.

We might want a -draft template as well for policies in development.

S.

Samuel Klein wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Jesse (Pathoschild)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 19:38, Steven Walling <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> I think it makes sense to better delineate what applies to different
>>> groups.
>>
>> Agreed. A good starting point is the navigation template for
>> Board-approved policies, which distinguishes between global policies
>> (like the licensing policy) and staff policies (like the credit card
>> usage policy): https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Policy-board
>
> Yes.  I just split the policy template into -board and -staff to
> suggest which group is effectively maintaining that policy.  Some
> staff policies started life via a Board resolution when the staff was
> small, but should now be maintanied by staff.
>
> We might want a -draft template as well for policies in development.

Thanks for this. I saw your edits. Overall pretty good. :-)

Using your tagging, it might be easier to clarify

phoebe ayers wrote:
> It would be, though I'm not sure that's the most useful division --
> I'd imagine what most people want to know is what policies apply to
> all of the global projects vs what policies apply to just the WMF vs
> what policies might apply to the WMF & other wikimedia entities
> (chapters and groups). It is difficult to figure out what the global
> project policies are, and that is a question that comes up pretty
> regularly.

A "Scope" section on every policy would be nice. Or even a scope column next
to the list of policies...

All kinds of different policies. Board --> staff; Board --> everyone; staff
--> staff; staff --> everyone(!).

MZMcBride