Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

Fae-6
Here's a quick 24 hour poll on the issues surrounding WMUK accepting
kit from donors. <http://www.doodle.com/i2snavpc55dc95iv> (the table
looks better if you click "Show all 7 options")

Comments on this thread welcome. The board will be discussing a
particular donation this evening, but we are more interested in the
general principle of how to accept donations in-kind without any
compromise on our values and how to ensure we run no future risk of
being compromised in the media by appearing to support any particular
"brand".

Cheers,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

Chris Keating-2

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's a quick 24 hour poll on the issues surrounding WMUK accepting
kit from donors. <http://www.doodle.com/i2snavpc55dc95iv> (the table
looks better if you click "Show all 7 options")

Comments on this thread welcome. The board will be discussing a
particular donation this evening, but we are more interested in the
general principle of how to accept donations in-kind without any
compromise on our values and how to ensure we run no future risk of
being compromised in the media by appearing to support any particular
"brand".

Difficult to answer - I imagine (and hope) we would treat a request to endorse a press release about a donation of goods with a value of £100,000 differently to a donation worth £1,000. It would also depend rather on the reputation of the potential donor.

Chris

Re: Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

Thomas Morton
It's hard to make a difinitive answer with no data; my personal view would vary drastically depending on various factors:

- Is the donation intended to publicity reasons
- What is being donated
- What sort of publicity is expected
- Are the organisation someone we would agree with

And more.

Tom

Re: Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

Gordon Joly
On 27/03/2012 14:07, Thomas Morton wrote:
> - Are the organisation someone we would agree with

Yeah. Would we want Microsoft IIS with SharePoint on a blade?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

Alison M. Wheeler

Re: Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

Fae-6
Hi,

Based on the suggestions here, I have split the last question "There
should be an advance discussion with members for every in-kind
donation" into large and small (under £1,000). Apologies if folks need
to re-visit the table.

I actually had in mind in-kind donations of less than £1,000 or so in
value (like a couple of nice laptops). If an in-kind donation of kit
or software licenses were awfully large (more than£20,000) I would
personally look for serious engagement with members, not just trustees
or staff off in some dark back-room making a deal. For example we
might be offered free licenses for an on-line CRM system, there would
be significant implications and getting it free is not the most
significant issue for us choosing such a tool.

Link to poll: <http://www.doodle.com/i2snavpc55dc95iv>

Cheers,
Fae

On 27 March 2012 13:43, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's a quick 24 hour poll on the issues surrounding WMUK accepting
> kit from donors. <http://www.doodle.com/i2snavpc55dc95iv> (the table
> looks better if you click "Show all 7 options")
> Comments on this thread welcome. The board will be discussing a
> particular donation this evening, but we are more interested in the
> general principle of how to accept donations in-kind without any
> compromise on our values and how to ensure we run no future risk of
> being compromised in the media by appearing to support any particular
> "brand".

I believe WMF has accepted such donations before, e.g. Dell servers at
a steep enough discount to count as a donation. How do they handle
this?

- d.

Re: Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

HJ Mitchell
+1.

Harry

Re: Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

Fae-6
Thank you to everyone who took part in our quick poll or made comments
about it on this list.

The feedback did help the board to come to a decision to accept a
donation of equipment to support the MonmouthpediA outreach project.
We will aim to ensure a range of equipment brands (and software)
support our events, just to make it clear that we are not in any
exclusive deal with anyone, and to demonstrate to the public / press
that Wikimedia projects are accessible in a variety of ways on almost
every platform.

All significant in-kind donations will be recognized on the UK wiki
and declared in our accounts as part of our commitment to transparency
and as advised by Charity Commission guidelines.

This seems like an area worth a bit more detail on :wmuk. Almost
everyone seems happy with the idea of taking in-kind donations, and
giving appropriate recognition to the donors, so long as they don't
come with strings attached or might appear to exclusively align our
charity with any brand or (off-mission) cause. I'm not offering to do
this myself, but we might follow up on
<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Water_cooler> ... if someone would like
to suggest improving our current policies.

PS the poll is at <http://www.doodle.com/i2snavpc55dc95iv> if someone
can work out how to capture it nicely (my pdf export looks rubbish) it
might be worth uploading to :wmuk as a record.

Cheers,
Fae