Poor performance of refreshLinks script

Simon Schlosser
Hi all,
we are running several wikis with totally different contents and structures. What I am observing in one of the wikis is a bad performance of the refreshLinks script (correspondingly of course with the rebuildall script). There are only about 2500 pages, but the refresh takes up to 2 hours.

I am searching for the reasons of this, but wasn't able to find any good answers or hints where to search for problems. I know it is hard to guess what the problem is, but it would already help if you could provide me with some aspects that usually cause this behaviour (or probably could)? CPU? Database connection? Apache server? Triple store connection? One aspect I was thinking about is the usage of a very big < master template > which is more or less used by any page and which has a lot of conditions. Based on the conditions another template is selected within the master template. Maybe a bad design... This is the main difference to the other wikis we are running.

The general setup is

-          latest MW and SMW versions,

-          storage of RDF triples in a TDB backed Fuseki,

-          Apache server,

-          8GB RAM
I do not think that RAM or CPU cause the poor performance, because it is only used to very little extent.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Simon

Re: Poor performance of refreshLinks script

Stephan Gambke-3
You might be onto something there. Conditions in MW work different from what you may be used from a normal programming language. They are implemented as parser functions. Before these parser functions are called, the output of all branches is calculated and the condition then just selects the one that is displayed. This is by the way also the reason why it is not a good idea to set a property in the branch of a condition. Since all branches are always processed, setting the property will always be done regardless of whether the condition resolves to true or false.