Possible to use API:Import to display Wikipedia.org pages inside another wiki on the fly?

Possible to use API:Import to display Wikipedia.org pages inside another wiki on the fly?

AT-21
Hello,

Question: is it possible to display the latest version of a wikipedia.org page in another mediawiki site simply by GET using the API:import? Or is there an easier way?

More info:

I am building my first wiki using Mediawiki 1.17 @ http://fa.irfanpedia.org I am total mediawiki newbie.

The site will contain original research about Irfan, a form of Gnosticism, similar to sufism.

As a convenience to users, I would like to display the latest content on Wikipedia about the subject. The exact pages have already been identified.

I've already read about xml export/import. But I need the latest version of the page and not have to constantly export from wikipedia manually.

So is it possible to create a URL for each target page so that on the fly pulls the content of a particular wikipedia.org page in the destination site? A 1:1 relationship.

If so, is this mailing list the right place to ask for technical help? the process for obtaining a token - I can't figure it out. Or not sure if the xml produced by the action=import can be immediately displayed to user or it still has to go through another step before it is human-readable.

Thank you in advance.

OQ

Re: Possible to use API:Import to display Wikipedia.org pages inside another wiki on the fly?

OQ
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:59 PM, AT <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Question: is it possible to display the latest version of a wikipedia.org
> page in another mediawiki site simply by GET using the API:import? Or is
> there an easier way?

Yes.

> I've already read about xml export/import. But I need the latest version of
> the page and not have to constantly export from wikipedia manually.
>
> So is it possible to create a URL for each target page so that on the fly
> pulls the content of a particular wikipedia.org page in the destination
> site? A 1:1 relationship.

In the past it was generally considered 'Not Nice' (tm) to live mirror
wikipedia, although it was somewhat allowed if you had a reasonable
cache time to avoid requesting the page every time you had a visitor.

I'm not sure what the current consensus is by the tech team.

Re: Possible to use API:Import to display Wikipedia.org pages inside another wiki on the fly?

Olivier Beaton
Why not use a frame to display the actual wikipedia version? Although this still falls under the realm of live mirror.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM, OQ <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:59 PM, AT <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Question: is it possible to display the latest version of a wikipedia.org
> page in another mediawiki site simply by GET using the API:import? Or is
> there an easier way?

Yes.