Power plugs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Power plugs

Bohdan Melnychuk
Hi.
 
Can someone please confirm whether normal European bidental power plugs (CEE 7/Europlug) fit into those weird Italian three-holed sockets (Type L)? I see in FAQ that those are listed with OR operand, but I want to be sure :) It looks from Wikipedia that the sockets could be thinner than pins of European plugs? If just this is the problem then it isn't one :)

--Base

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Power plugs

Stephen Niedzielski
I've been nervous about this too. I have these Type C, CEE 7/16 plugs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YL84VA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Bohdan Melnychuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.
 
Can someone please confirm whether normal European bidental power plugs (CEE 7/Europlug) fit into those weird Italian three-holed sockets (Type L)? I see in FAQ that those are listed with OR operand, but I want to be sure :) It looks from Wikipedia that the sockets could be thinner than pins of European plugs? If just this is the problem then it isn't one :)

--Base

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Power plugs

Michele Lavazza
Dear Base, I can confirm that European bidental power plugs (CEE 7/Europlug) fit into Italian 3-hole sockets (weird as they may be :D)

The en.wikipedia article about the Europlug says (@Stephen) that CEE 7/16 is but an alternative name for Europlugs, so your Type C plugs do fit into Italian sockets too.

Maybe you already came across it, but https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon#Recommended_Items_to_Bring contains more detailed info than the FAQ.

Looking forward to seeing you in Esino!
Cheers,

Michele

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Stephen Niedzielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been nervous about this too. I have these Type C, CEE 7/16 plugs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YL84VA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Bohdan Melnychuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.
 
Can someone please confirm whether normal European bidental power plugs (CEE 7/Europlug) fit into those weird Italian three-holed sockets (Type L)? I see in FAQ that those are listed with OR operand, but I want to be sure :) It looks from Wikipedia that the sockets could be thinner than pins of European plugs? If just this is the problem then it isn't one :)

--Base

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Power plugs

Gabriel Thullen
There are different types of plugs in Italy. The two-prong plugs will fit in. The problem is with three-prong plugs. You may need an adapter for Italy.
From personal experience. a lot of the plugs - even in modern hotels - look like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#/media/File:Italian_sockets.jpg

A Europlug will fit in but will not be grounded. You can, in fact, always connect a three-prong plug to a two-prong socket with a bit of tinkering, but you will just loose the ground. Not a problem if there is no static electricity on your devices. Big problem if there is some...

Best regards
Gabe


On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Michele Lavazza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Base, I can confirm that European bidental power plugs (CEE 7/Europlug) fit into Italian 3-hole sockets (weird as they may be :D)

The en.wikipedia article about the Europlug says (@Stephen) that CEE 7/16 is but an alternative name for Europlugs, so your Type C plugs do fit into Italian sockets too.

Maybe you already came across it, but https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon#Recommended_Items_to_Bring contains more detailed info than the FAQ.

Looking forward to seeing you in Esino!
Cheers,

Michele

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Stephen Niedzielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been nervous about this too. I have these Type C, CEE 7/16 plugs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YL84VA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Bohdan Melnychuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.
 
Can someone please confirm whether normal European bidental power plugs (CEE 7/Europlug) fit into those weird Italian three-holed sockets (Type L)? I see in FAQ that those are listed with OR operand, but I want to be sure :) It looks from Wikipedia that the sockets could be thinner than pins of European plugs? If just this is the problem then it isn't one :)

--Base

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Power plugs

DaB.
Hello.
Am 12.06.2016 um 21:57 schrieb Gabriel Thullen:
> Not a problem if there is no static electricity on your devices. Big
> problem if there is some...

The ground is NOT for protection against static electricity, but for
protection against a malfunction. You must NEVER use a gear that has a
3-pole-plug with in a 2-hole-connector – NEVER. You may endanger
yourself and others. The only exception may be for gears that is
completly surrounded by plastic.

Sincerely,
DaB.


--
Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka und OpenPGPKey funktionieren)


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l

signature.asc (898 bytes) Download Attachment