Power situation in India: New threat for Wikimedia growth?

Power situation in India: New threat for Wikimedia growth?

Ravishankar-3
Hi,

Since 2009, most of Tamilnadu is facing a power crisis. It started with few hours of power cut. For the last few months, it has gone up to 18 to 20 hours of unscheduled power cut every single day. Only Chennai city is exempted with a 2 hour power cut. Government is not sure when the crisis will be resolved. It could be next year or it could take few more years.

What this means for the growth of Wikimedia expansion in Tamilnadu?

Every single contributor in Tamilnadu that  I talk to are unable to contribute to their full capacity because of the power cuts. I fear that this may be a bigger concern in attracting new contributors. When there is only few hours of power left, other major concerns like work and study will be given priority. There won't be much time for hobbies and forget geeky activities like Wikipedia editing. This is a major blow given the fact that computer and internet usage was increasing in the last few years.

How is the power situation in other states?

Ravi

Re: Power situation in India: New threat for Wikimedia growth?

Arnav Sonara
Hey,

In Gujarat I can assure you nothing this *drastic* or *unfortunate* situation is there, in some villages in Gujarat there are regular power cuts.

In Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities once in a week for about 3-5 hours power cut (fix timing though).

I don't remember when was the last power cut in Ahmedabad.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Ravishankar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks
Arnav (ricku).

(User:Rangilo_Gujarati)

Re: Power situation in India: New threat for Wikimedia growth?

Harsh Kothari
Hey
Agree with Arnav. Gujarat has awesome facility of power.. There is no power cut in ahmedabad and other cities as well as rural areas.

Regards
---
Harsh Kothari
Research Fellow,
Physical Research Laboratory(PRL).
Ahmedabad.

On 28-Oct-2012, at 1:56 AM, Arnav Sonara wrote:

[...]

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Ravi,
With close to 16 hours of power cuts in Coimbatore, I've been unable to hold meetups.
The last time I requested a venue, it was politely declined citing they didn't know whether there would be power or not.
--Srikanth.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Harsh Kothari <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sign this petition to introduce Volvo buses in Coimbatore city:

Re: Power situation in India: New threat for Wikimedia growth?

Ravishankar-3
Arnav, Harsh

Glad to know the situation in Gujarat. Tamilnadu was also a power surplus state just few years before :(

Srikanth,

Thanks for confirming the situation. Even in a state capital like Hyderabad we are facing 2 to 4 hours of power cut everyday and media reports longer power cuts in other parts of the state due to coal shortage. So, I was wondering if this is an emerging nation wide scenario.

Ravi