Power sockets

Amir Sarabadani-2
Hey,
It seems Mexico uses type A sockets [1] Do we need to buy adapter or It's provided in the venue?

Best
--
Amir

Re: Power sockets

Ivan Martínez
Hi Amir, that's the type of sockets but you need to bring your own adapter.

Hey,
It seems Mexico uses type A sockets [1] Do we need to buy adapter or It's provided in the venue?

Best
--
Amir

Iván Martínez
Wikimanía 2015 Chief Coordinator
User:ProtoplasmaKid
@protoplasmakid
http://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org

Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda a proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: Power sockets

Manuel Schneider-3
My recommendation is to bring an adapter and a power strip, so you can
share with people using the same socket.

If everyone did that power diustribution would be much easier.

Mark both the adapter and the strip as yours.

/Manuel

On 07/07/2015 12:31 AM, Ivan Martínez wrote:

> Hi Amir, that's the type of sockets but you need to bring your own adapter.
> Thanks,

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hey,
>     It seems Mexico uses type A sockets [1] Do we need to buy adapter or
>     It's provided in the venue?
>
>     [1]: http://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/mexico/
>     Best
>     --
>     Amir

> /Iván Martínez/
> //Wikimanía 2015 Chief Coordinator/
> User:ProtoplasmaKid
> @protoplasmakid
> http://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/
> *
> *Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda
> a proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Power sockets

James Alexander-4
I've seen a couple different sites talking about just the A socket (same as a US 2 prong) and some saying the B socket as well (US 3 prong, the 2 prong with a round grounding pole). Is the 3 prong relatively common as well or should we carry around 2 prong to 3 prong adapters if we have things that need it?

James Alexander
Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 1:05 AM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
My recommendation is to bring an adapter and a power strip, so you can
share with people using the same socket.

If everyone did that power diustribution would be much easier.

Mark both the adapter and the strip as yours.

/Manuel

On 07/07/2015 12:31 AM, Ivan Martínez wrote:
> Hi Amir, that's the type of sockets but you need to bring your own adapter.
> Thanks,

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hey,
>     It seems Mexico uses type A sockets [1] Do we need to buy adapter or
>     It's provided in the venue?
>
>     [1]: http://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/mexico/
>     Best
>     --
>     Amir

> /Iván Martínez/
> //Wikimanía 2015 Chief Coordinator/
> User:ProtoplasmaKid
> @protoplasmakid
> http://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/
> *
> *Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda
> a proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Power sockets

Andy Cruz y Corro

Hi James!

I'm not an expert in electric installations, but it's true that there are both 2-pronged and 3-pronged sockets. Both of them are common and safety regulations recommend the latter for obvious reasons, but you can fit a type A into a type B socket without troubles. In any case, find an adapter for type B sockets and if you need to connect to a type A, the extra adapter is available in any small electronics shop and is very cheap (around 10 MXN or less than 1 USD)

On 5:44AM, Tue, Jul 7, 2015 James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've seen a couple different sites talking about just the A socket (same as a US 2 prong) and some saying the B socket as well (US 3 prong, the 2 prong with a round grounding pole). Is the 3 prong relatively common as well or should we carry around 2 prong to 3 prong adapters if we have things that need it?

James Alexander
Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 1:05 AM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
My recommendation is to bring an adapter and a power strip, so you can
share with people using the same socket.

If everyone did that power diustribution would be much easier.

Mark both the adapter and the strip as yours.

/Manuel

On 07/07/2015 12:31 AM, Ivan Martínez wrote:
> Hi Amir, that's the type of sockets but you need to bring your own adapter.
> Thanks,

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hey,
>     It seems Mexico uses type A sockets [1] Do we need to buy adapter or
>     It's provided in the venue?
>
>     [1]: http://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/mexico/
>     Best
>     --
>     Amir

> /Iván Martínez/
> //Wikimanía 2015 Chief Coordinator/
> User:ProtoplasmaKid
> @protoplasmakid
> http://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/
> *
> *Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda
> a proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622" target="_blank">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Power sockets

Amir Sarabadani-2
If I want to buy an adapter, Is there any electrical shop close to the venue or airport? If it's not, Can you plan a buying event? Like Wikimania 2013.

Best

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 9:29 PM, Andy Cruz y Corro <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi James!

I'm not an expert in electric installations, but it's true that there are both 2-pronged and 3-pronged sockets. Both of them are common and safety regulations recommend the latter for obvious reasons, but you can fit a type A into a type B socket without troubles. In any case, find an adapter for type B sockets and if you need to connect to a type A, the extra adapter is available in any small electronics shop and is very cheap (around 10 MXN or less than 1 USD)

On 5:44AM, Tue, Jul 7, 2015 James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've seen a couple different sites talking about just the A socket (same as a US 2 prong) and some saying the B socket as well (US 3 prong, the 2 prong with a round grounding pole). Is the 3 prong relatively common as well or should we carry around 2 prong to 3 prong adapters if we have things that need it?

James Alexander
Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 1:05 AM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
My recommendation is to bring an adapter and a power strip, so you can
share with people using the same socket.

If everyone did that power diustribution would be much easier.

Mark both the adapter and the strip as yours.

/Manuel

On 07/07/2015 12:31 AM, Ivan Martínez wrote:
> Hi Amir, that's the type of sockets but you need to bring your own adapter.
> Thanks,

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hey,
>     It seems Mexico uses type A sockets [1] Do we need to buy adapter or
>     It's provided in the venue?
>
>     [1]: http://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/mexico/
>     Best
>     --
>     Amir

> /Iván Martínez/
> //Wikimanía 2015 Chief Coordinator/
> User:ProtoplasmaKid
> @protoplasmakid
> http://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/
> *
> *Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda
> a proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622" target="_blank">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Amir

Re: Power sockets

Andy Cruz y Corro
Hello Amir!

There are several places where you can buy an adapter. In the airport you will find stores with all kinds of adapters. This might not necessarily be the cheapest option but it's quite handy, since you don't have to move that much.

The cheaper option would be in Steren Shop. Don't be fooled, even though it's cheaper doesn't mean it's a bad place (rather, the airport stores tend to have inflated prices). This shop is located in Avenida Juarez, five blocks from the Hilton to the East over Avenida Juarez right in front of the Palace of Fine Arts. Just go right when you exit the hotel. They open every day until 7 PM

OSM link for the Steren Shop: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/19.43406/-99.14257

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I want to buy an adapter, Is there any electrical shop close to the venue or airport? If it's not, Can you plan a buying event? Like Wikimania 2013.

Best

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 9:29 PM, Andy Cruz y Corro <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi James!

I'm not an expert in electric installations, but it's true that there are both 2-pronged and 3-pronged sockets. Both of them are common and safety regulations recommend the latter for obvious reasons, but you can fit a type A into a type B socket without troubles. In any case, find an adapter for type B sockets and if you need to connect to a type A, the extra adapter is available in any small electronics shop and is very cheap (around 10 MXN or less than 1 USD)

On 5:44AM, Tue, Jul 7, 2015 James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've seen a couple different sites talking about just the A socket (same as a US 2 prong) and some saying the B socket as well (US 3 prong, the 2 prong with a round grounding pole). Is the 3 prong relatively common as well or should we carry around 2 prong to 3 prong adapters if we have things that need it?

James Alexander
Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 1:05 AM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
My recommendation is to bring an adapter and a power strip, so you can
share with people using the same socket.

If everyone did that power diustribution would be much easier.

Mark both the adapter and the strip as yours.

/Manuel

On 07/07/2015 12:31 AM, Ivan Martínez wrote:
> Hi Amir, that's the type of sockets but you need to bring your own adapter.
> Thanks,

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hey,
>     It seems Mexico uses type A sockets [1] Do we need to buy adapter or
>     It's provided in the venue?
>
>     [1]: http://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/mexico/
>     Best
>     --
>     Amir

> /Iván Martínez/
> //Wikimanía 2015 Chief Coordinator/
> User:ProtoplasmaKid
> @protoplasmakid
> http://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/
> *
> *Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda
> a proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622" target="_blank">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Amir

"Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre a la suma total de todo el conocimiento humano. Eso es lo que estamos haciendo."—Jimmy Wales.

Re: Power sockets

Amir Sarabadani-2
Thank you :)